or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Watch update...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watch update... - Page 2

post #16 of 32
Thread Starter 
At the risk of sounding pretentious, I don't think my fiancee was too bothered about spending an extra thousand or so on me. Ten years ago, maybe. But not now.
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Dug, I was intimating that your choice of words seemed a bit "strong" where Yosarian's girlfriend is concerned.  It is not terribly polite to suggest that she is anything less than intelligent.  I don't believe you intended to be rude, but you need to be careful. Having said that, do you not think that many women would find your approach a bit too pragmatic?  I'm very much in favor of searching for a bargain, but if it is for a gift to celebrate your impending matrimony, should you not dispense with the frugality?  This is not an attack, I very much look forward to your opinion.
"She's smart, my future wife." What does mean "smart" here? I understand "intelligent" but may be I did not understand quite well. If "smart" means "nice", "lovely" I'm ok . Buying a brand new is not a good choice as calatrava is easy to find, you can buy it in mint condition for 35%/40% off, that means a saving of 3 000 euros. Wasting money do not mean you are specialy in love. Making bargain, even for wedding shows your husband/wife can trust you not to waste money.
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Buying a brand new is not a good choice as calatrava is easy to find, you can buy it in mint condition for 35%/40% off, that means a saving of 3 000 euros. Wasting money do not mean you are specialy in love. Making bargain, even for wedding shows your husband/wife can trust you not to waste money.
Are you trying to be a troll? Insulting another man's fiance, especially when you don't know her, is offensive. You'd be well-advised to drop it.
post #19 of 32
Thread Starter 
Dug, my friend, now you have somewhat angered me. But I will attempt to answer you calmly. My fiancee is a lawyer and bills out her time at a little more than $400/hour. If she spends more than a couple of hours trying to save $1000 or whatever off the retail price, she's losing money. So when I say that she's not going to sweat saving a few % off of the retail price, I mean it in pure economic terms. Now, if she was going to buy me a $50,000 watch or a car, chances are she'd shop around a bit for the best price. Since I am with her on the weekends, my best guess is that she bought the watch during her lunch hour or during the day. I'm sure she asked someone in her office where a good, respectable place to buy a luxury watch could be found and then went from there. Yes, Dug, she's smart.
post #20 of 32
I'll also add a little off-topic comment: Internet places are great for good deals (hell, I do most of my shopping for clothing online), but there are some things it can't do. When you spend the extra money, you get to talk to a real salesman who can help you compare watches and show you features. You also have a solid place to bring the watch back if something is wrong, instead of trying to send it to an online company. Some people just don't like to shop online (which is about the only place you will find a difference in price). They are much more comfortable dealing with real people and being able to see and hold the exact watch before they buy it. Some may say she made a mistake by not purchasing it at the lowest possible price. However, she was able to purchase the watch without fear that it wouldn't arrive in time, that it wouldn't get lost in the mail, and that she would be purchasing the exact watch she examined in the store.
post #21 of 32
Congrats Yosarian77 on the great present and on our wedding. I hope all goes well on your big day. Since this is a "StyleForum", what are you wearing? P.S. As a future lawyer, glad to hear there's some money it.
post #22 of 32
Quote:
and on our wedding
Oooh, I bet this is the first time two members of the style forum were wed. I'm kidding, I just had to capitolize on that typo.
post #23 of 32
Quote:
My fiancee is a lawyer and bills out her time at a little more than $400/hour. If she spends more than a couple of hours trying to save $1000 or whatever off the retail price, she's losing money. So when I say that she's not going to sweat saving a few % off of the retail price, I mean it in pure economic terms. Now, if she was going to buy me a $50,000 watch or a car, chances are she'd shop around a bit for the best price.
With respect, your math is off. While, of course, your fiancee should only shop around as much as she pleases, if at all, it would be quite worthwhile to shop around for more than "a couple of hours". Remember, she bills $400/hour - I assume she has overhead, like the rest of us, and partners, etc. Then there's tax. I figure that after tax, I'm lucky if I make 20% of my hourly rate.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
However, she was able to purchase the watch without fear that it wouldn't arrive in time, that it wouldn't get lost in the mail, and that she would be purchasing the exact watch she examined in the store.
Good point. I've found the postal service ridiculously unreliable. I had a ticket to a Hornets game sent a short distance a week before the game, which was March 23. The ticket still hasn't arrived. Luckily, I was able to show the New Orleans Arena box office the order number and get into the game. There's something to be said for overnight shipping. ps - Versace, you beat me to the punch on making a joke about "our wedding." At least now I know I'm not the only one with that sense of humor, haha.
post #25 of 32
Damn you bastards... It is legal in Canada for 2 males to be married. Not sure how my girlfriend, or Yosarian77, feel about "our" wedding?.? I would of said the same thing as you guys so it is good to know that there are people just as silly as myself on this forum.
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Dug, my friend, now you have somewhat angered me. But I will attempt to answer you calmly. My fiancee is a lawyer and bills out her time at a little more than $400/hour. If she spends more than a couple of hours trying to save $1000 or whatever off the retail price, she's losing money. So when I say that she's not going to sweat saving a few % off of the retail price, I mean it in pure economic terms. Now, if she was going to buy me a $50,000 watch or a car, chances are she'd shop around a bit for the best price. Since I am with her on the weekends, my best guess is that she bought the watch during her lunch hour or during the day. I'm sure she asked someone in her office where a good, respectable place to buy a luxury watch could be found and then went from there. Yes, Dug, she's smart.
"My fiancee is a lawyer and bills out her time at a little more than $400/hour" I hope she works not more than 10 hours per mounth if not buying a new watch of 13 000 USD when you earns 64 000 USD per mounth is rather stingy...don't you think so? 400 or 40 USD?
post #27 of 32
Perhaps we should end this thread. I think there is a bit of a disconnect in the conversation. Yosarian, congratulations on a great gift from a very special woman.
post #28 of 32
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone. I don't know why this deteriorated into this sort of thread, when all I was trying to say was that my fiancee bought me a watch based on suggestions from this board. I know Dug has a perspective on this that he wanted to share (ie, full retail versus the savings one can achieve via the internet) but that wasn't really the point of my post. I think all of us understand the savings the internet can provide... Yes, my "math" is a bit off on my fiancee's billable versus take home. I wasn't doing a true cost-benefit analysis on the situation, since that would have been ridiculous (thank you for the finance lesson. It's been 8 years since I was in graduate business school.). I was simply pointing out that there are other factors to consider when purchasing an item, particularly a luxury item. Dug, I decided to read some of your other posts, since I hadn't seen your name on here before. Seems like I might not have understood your rather peculiar sense of humor and perhaps much of it was lost in the French to English translation. I apologize for that. To answer a more important question as to what I am wearing: Kim's not wearing a traditional wedding dress, but rather a white dress with a red and green floral pattern. I bought a 3-piece Brioni MTM suit for the occasion (S-150 wool, I believe). It's a very dark grey, two button pin stripe. The pinstripes are a very light blue/beige color. Hard to describe. I'll see if I can post some pictures. I'll be wearing a white Paul Smith shirt with cufflinks my brother gave me. The cuff links aren't really my style, but my brother had them made by some jewelry designer in London as a wedding gift to me. They are silver with a gold cross-like design. I haven't made up my mind on the tie. I have a light blue solid Brioni tie that goes nicely with the suit, but might not be so right for a wedding. I also have a dark navy tie with very light silvery stripes. It's a Kiton-seven fold I bought a couple of years ago for a wedding, but I never wore it. Shoes are black cap-toe John Lobb's I bought when I was in London in November (again, thanks to the board, because I wouldn't have even known about Lobb until you guys praised them).
post #29 of 32
Where your from? Better show us a picture of the watch and of the girl...
post #30 of 32
Just not read this thread. Priceless. The $400/hr vs, bargainhunting argument really depends on whether there is really an opportunity cost involved. Bill Gates isn't actually losing money by picking up that dollar bill, although he is actually making a lot more than a dollar a (split?) second. I do agree that a fancy schmancy lawyer can afford to plunk down a small fortune for a watch a lot more easily than can, say, a starving academic. In any case, congratulations Yosarian77, and many happy years ahead.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Watch update...