or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Best/Worst Bang for the Buck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best/Worst Bang for the Buck - Page 3

post #31 of 109
best: Naked & Famous
post #32 of 109
Best: Uniqlo .. when they come to Aus Worst: Probably not the worst but.. any of those surfwear brands .. Billabong etc.. because everyone loves surf culture ...nowhere near surf...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post
Worst: Retail, or even 30% off of retail Best: eBay or B&S
also this ^
post #33 of 109
worst: spending gas money and your precious time to go to an outlet mall miles outside the city only to find "outlet only" products, discards from 5 seasons ago, and a depressing shopping experience making you think "is this what I have become?"
post #34 of 109
in regards to h&m best: underwear, denim worst: everything else
post #35 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu View Post
no brand cuts shirts like BOO does (ie, super-slim/cropped) in a simple aesthetic w/ relatively good fabric

find me one and i will concede that BOO is overpriced

Anything at half the price + $10 to your tailor.
post #36 of 109
This is really unfair to most brands...H&M, Uniqulo, J. Crew, etc. all source their clothing from different vendors which means that you have to make this evaluation on a piece by piece basis. There is no one brand better than the next. I have an organic cotton bomber from H&M that I paid $30 for and has astounding quality and detail but I wouldn't touch anything else from their shirts line. Same goes for the 'Crew. I suppose the most consistency I have found was in Uniqlo.
post #37 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post
in regards to h&m

best: underwear, denim
worst: everything else

I've found no-show socks that I've liked, and there was this one winter scarf I found years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPO89 View Post
This is really unfair to most brands...H&M, Uniqulo, J. Crew, etc. all source their clothing from different vendors which means that you have to make this evaluation on a piece by piece basis. There is no one brand better than the next. I have an organic cotton bomber from H&M that I paid $30 for and has astounding quality and detail but I wouldn't touch anything else from their shirts line. Same goes for the 'Crew. I suppose the most consistency I have found was in Uniqlo.

But yeah, this. The button-up shirts in particular are terrible. The armholes are cut so low you can't even tailor them into a decent fit, and the collars get all warped after the first wash or so.
post #38 of 109
This thread turned out to be way less naughty than expected. I was hoping for bewbs and everything. or shotguns (get it?)
post #39 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Anything at half the price + $10 to your tailor.

what is this magic brand that turns into BOO w/ just one $10 alteration

and before you say JC, i've owned JC shirts in the past - fabric is terrible, cut is mall-generous, and what's more, they steal patterns from the likes of W+H
post #40 of 109
Best: Muji, Brooks Brothers MiUSA OCBDs, Levi's denim, Red Wing.

Worst: JCrew at full retail.

I don't think designer/fashion brands should be part of the discussion. You're not paying for the qualities that go into "bang for the buck," but rather for style, which isn't really quantifiable in $$.
post #41 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu View Post
what is this magic brand that turns into BOO w/ just one $10 alteration

and before you say JC, i've owned JC shirts in the past - fabric is terrible, cut is mall-generous, and what's more, they steal patterns from the likes of W+H

I think what he means is that you spend ~$10 and have a shirt hemmed on the bottom to achieve a more cropped look. You can do this with ... say... Gitman. Granted, Gitman shirts are like ~$130-$150. Still cheaper than the ~$200+ BoO.
post #42 of 109
Best: Alden. Worst: Banana/Jcrew. It's as if they purposely make their clothes fall apart within a year, so you'll rebuy it next season... ...actually, it's GENIUS!
post #43 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post
I think what he means is that you spend ~$10 and have a shirt hemmed on the bottom to achieve a more cropped look. You can do this with ... say... Gitman. Granted, Gitman shirts are like ~$130-$150. Still cheaper than the ~$200+ BoO.

Or Gant
post #44 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post
I think what he means is that you spend ~$10 and have a shirt hemmed on the bottom to achieve a more cropped look. You can do this with ... say... Gitman. Granted, Gitman shirts are like ~$130-$150. Still cheaper than the ~$200+ BoO.

Yeah, you need a decent base to start from, since there's not much you can do about the pattern, the fabric, or the construction of the seams you're not going to alter. You also need the shirt to fit in the shoulders and have reasonably high-cut armholes if you want to end up with a decently slim fit.

You'd need up to five alterations - tapered body, slimmed sleeves, cropped hem, and back darts x 2 - to get all of the details, and you need a tailor who's not going to mess it all up. I'd say you can easily drop another $20 - $30 on the alterations, definitely more if you're going to an expensive tailor.

I'd say the best bang for the buck for button-up/button-down shirts is going MTM.
post #45 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post
I think what he means is that you spend ~$10 and have a shirt hemmed on the bottom to achieve a more cropped look. You can do this with ... say... Gitman. Granted, Gitman shirts are like ~$130-$150. Still cheaper than the ~$200+ BoO.

Yep, Gitman shirts are great quality but they're only about $50 cheaper than BOO. Plus, like you said, they run a little longer. Also, another thing - BOO has some pretty good patterns/designs. Yeah, the schoolboy aesthetic might not be for everyone, but I happen to actually like it

I think J. Crew have some of the most overpriced shirts. You're overpaying for what is basically a knock-off of better brands:



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Best/Worst Bang for the Buck