• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need to buy 2 suits

iPadTwo

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just joined the forum!

I need to buy 2 new suits for my summer internship. I was looking into a couple of places like men's wearhouse and Brooks brothers and had a couple questions.

How does the regular BB store differ from a BB at an outlet mall? Seems like a good place to go especially this week with their F&F sale.

How is the quality of suits at men's wearhouse?

Any other stores at an outlet mall you guys suggest?

Not looking to spend too much money, but I'd like to buy good quality suits.

Thanks in advance.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Id definitely choose brooks over m/w if you can afford it. The outlet or "346" stuff is of lower quality than what you would find in a regular store, and not much cheaper.

iPadTwo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
Id definitely choose brooks over m/w if you can afford it. The outlet or "346" stuff is of lower quality than what you would find in a regular store, and not much cheaper.

How much worse in quality is the 346 line? Is it worth paying the extra bucks at a regular BB store?

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iPadTwo
How much worse in quality is the 346 line? Is it worth paying the extra bucks at a regular BB store?

Its not ****** stuff by any means, but i can pretty easily tell them apart and don't mind ponying up the difference.

Grenadier

Reaction score

I find there to be quite a bit of difference. The 1818 line is noticeably better constructed and the wool is much nicer. If Brooks Brothers is doing their 2 1818-line suits for $1500 less 25% this weekend, it's not a bad deal, probably the best you will get and is a good value.

Leverandon

Reaction score
There's no comparison between Brooks Brothers and Men's Wearhouse.

Get the two Brooks suits on sale, one in navy and one in charcoal, and you'll be set for your summer internship and have the foundation for a solid business wardrobe.

iPadTwo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leverandon
There's no comparison between Brooks Brothers and Men's Wearhouse.

Get the two Brooks suits on sale, one in navy and one in charcoal, and you'll be set for your summer internship and have the foundation for a solid business wardrobe.

By Brooks suits, are you referring to the outlet mall quality?

Is the 346 line still better than men's wearhouse?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest navy and tan for a summer internship. Blue and white shirts and a few rep ties. Brown shoes and brown belt.

officeboy

Reaction score
I'm going to assume that Men's warehouse and BB outlet prices are the price range your shopping in. At that price it's harder but not impossible to get some nicer suits. Other places you could try are Jcrew/Banana Republic (find coupons+sales), Nordstrom Rack, maybe a Marshals if you have one of the fancy ones around, H&M too. And if you are in or near NY there are probably dozens of other places you could look for deals. Also Suit Supply they got high marks in that silly NY times article a month or so back and the pricing is very good if the quality is as nice as the article said.
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I would suggest navy and tan for a summer internship. Blue and white shirts and a few rep ties. Brown shoes and brown belt.
+1 Tan or a light/med grey

tphd

Reaction score
why navy and tan over navy and gray? Because of the season or something else? Just curious, I always hear that the first two suits one buys should be navy and gray. what is your price point OP? What field? I don't have much corporate experience but I assume that a summer intern will not be expected to dress as well as regular staffers, and office folks in general don't wear very nice suits.

iPadTwo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tphd
why navy and tan over navy and gray? Because of the season or something else? Just curious, I always hear that the first two suits one buys should be navy and gray.

what is your price point OP? What field? I don't have much corporate experience but I assume that a summer intern will not be expected to dress as well as regular staffers, and office folks in general don't wear very nice suits.

I'll be working in finance (investment banking) for the summer. I'll be looking to buy one navy and one gray (or charcoal) suit.

I would say I would like to spend maximum somewhere around $500 per suit. I guess my options at this point are BB outlet, BB regular store, men's wearhouse, outlet mall, nordstrom, macys, or an online store like indochino, moderntailor, etc. I'm trying to stay away from stores like banana republic because I've heard the quality is not that great.

I'd like to try out indochino/moderntailor for the best fit possible...but I'm not sure how accurate my measurements would be. Or, I could buy one at a regular store and bring it to a local tailor.

What would you guys recommend?

csoukoulis

Reaction score
I'll be working in finance (investment banking) for the summer. I'll be looking to buy one navy and one gray (or charcoal) suit.

I would say I would like to spend maximum somewhere around $500 per suit. I guess my options at this point are BB outlet, BB regular store, men's wearhouse, outlet mall, nordstrom, macys, or an online store like indochino, moderntailor, etc. I'm trying to stay away from stores like banana republic because I've heard the quality is not that great.

I'd like to try out indochino/moderntailor for the best fit possible...but I'm not sure how accurate my measurements would be. Or, I could buy one at a regular store and bring it to a local tailor.

What would you guys recommend?

id stay away from the mail order stuff if you don't have any suits and haven't had the opportunity to try several styles on and see what styles and cuts suit ( no pun intended) you best.

Doc4

Reaction score

Originally Posted by tphd
why navy and tan over navy and gray? Because of the season or something else? Just curious, I always hear that the first two suits one buys should be navy and gray.

Because of the season ... OP stated this is for a summer internship. Tan suits are part of the usual wear in summer.

That said, I'd still keep a medium gray suit in the mix, and if he's going for a tan, swap out the navy. But of course there's nothing wrong with going gray & navy, and then he has two suits that will do him well when he later has to work in the winter.

Skipping the tan for now is fine. You can consider it later when you have more disposable income and you have a better feel for the corporate climate of your industry (a tan suit may fit in well, or may be one step away from wearing jeans and a hawaiian shirt ... you'll find out as time goes on.)

Mid-gray (or slightly darker) will be more versatile than charcoal for now, as the lighter tone will do well in summer.
How is the quality of suits at men's wearhouse?

lurker[1].gif

GBer

Reaction score
Where is your internship? NYC? Are you in any particular group such as I-banking, equity research, trading?

You don't often see bankers wear tan at work, summer or not. Would stay away from tan. Too casual. Gray & navy are good choices. What about shoes? Do you have a couple of decent pairs?

$500 max will be tough. If these are your first suits, bite the bullet and go to BB and get something there. Do you even know your size? Nothing worse than an ill-fitting suit.

iPadTwo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
Where is your internship? NYC? Are you in any particular group such as I-banking, equity research, trading?

You don't often see bankers wear tan at work, summer or not. Would stay away from tan. Too casual. Gray & navy are good choices. What about shoes? Do you have a couple of decent pairs?

$500 max will be tough. If these are your first suits, bite the bullet and go to BB and get something there. Do you even know your size? Nothing worse than an ill-fitting suit.

Yes, it's in NYC. I'm going with gray and navy for sure. BTW, this is not my first suit. I currently have one suit that I wore to interviews and such. Bought it off the rack during a sale at a department store and got it tailored, so I have a general sense of what my size is.

At this point, I just need help on WHERE to get my suits....There's way too many options and I need assistance on narrowing my options down!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics