or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Tricker's MTO - Forum group buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tricker's MTO - Forum group buy - Page 54

post #796 of 1234
As promised:



They feel a little bigger than my navy Stows, but this will be due, in part at least, to the leather - it's much more stretchy and forgiving than the regular calf (which happens to suit me fine).
post #797 of 1234

Iris Cordovan Tricker's Eaton I bought today looking nice next to Lollipop red Eaton & Navy Austerity Stow.
This is what comes from living 10 minutes from Shoehealer although you don't get a mug of tea in all shoe shops.
post #798 of 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Cooper View Post


Iris Cordovan Tricker's Eaton I bought today looking nice next to Lollipop red Eaton & Navy Austerity Stow.
This is what comes from living 10 minutes from Shoehealer although you don't get a mug of tea in all shoe shops.

Awesome! Just pulled the trigger on the Iris eatons myself - will post a photo on Tuesday with their older sibling (marron stows).
post #799 of 1234
Why does Richard make all his latest MTO's on the 4497 baldy[1].gif
post #800 of 1234
'cause it's the best last ever! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
tu n'avais qu'a avoir des pieds fins, mon cher... mouahaha!
post #801 of 1234
7,5 is too tight, 8 is too big ffffuuuu.gif
post #802 of 1234
4497 - fit.5 - in 6.5... Just perfect!
post #803 of 1234

In an ideal world I would like the slightly wider 4444 last to be used but it's only the navy Stows that needed a night on the stretching tool to really make them totally comfortable.

 

The Lollipop Eaton is a more forgiving leather & the Cordovan is a great fit straight from the box but I have taken to wearing very thin socks in all of my Tricker's & can easily & comfortably get away with the 4497.

post #804 of 1234

I wasn't expecting to buy the Iris Cordovan Eatons but like so many more shoes in the shop, once they're on they look the business.

 

I have been researching Cordovan care today & it appears to be a very special material which is looked after quite differently to calf leather.

 

Many people use just damp cloths & horsehair brushes to bring back the shine & only very rarely do they seem to need a polish.

 

Richard gave me some Greson Creme in a very similar shade & also a tin of aerosol waterproofing spray but both of these are frowned upon by many people who have written articles on caring for Cordovan.

 

I can't find any hard polish in a similar colour & neutral polishes & cremes are also not recommended so I really will have to see how they go.

 

Water droplets seem to hurt more than a complete drenching as they leave raised blobs where the drops landed & can be difficult to remove but it all makes them more interesting in my opinion.

 

I will be more careful with them & maybe they won't get worn as often as some of my others but they do look the business & in the right light the Iris colour really is stunning.

 

It will be nice to see yours.

 

As I live very close to Shoehealer I have expected to see other bulk MTO's being worn around town but until yesterday when I called in to the shop I haven't seen any. I was met by a guy in an identical pair of Lollipop Red Eatons yesterday but think the chances of bumping into another pair of these will be more of a long shot although it would be nice to see what other people think & how they look after theirs.

 

Jonny.

post #805 of 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Cooper View Post

I wasn't expecting to buy the Iris Cordovan Eatons but like so many more shoes in the shop, once they're on they look the business.

 

I have been researching Cordovan care today & it appears to be a very special material which is looked after quite differently to calf leather.

 

Many people use just damp cloths & horsehair brushes to bring back the shine & only very rarely do they seem to need a polish.

 

Richard gave me some Greson Creme in a very similar shade & also a tin of aerosol waterproofing spray but both of these are frowned upon by many people who have written articles on caring for Cordovan.

 

I can't find any hard polish in a similar colour & neutral polishes & cremes are also not recommended so I really will have to see how they go.

 

Water droplets seem to hurt more than a complete drenching as they leave raised blobs where the drops landed & can be difficult to remove but it all makes them more interesting in my opinion.

 

I will be more careful with them & maybe they won't get worn as often as some of my others but they do look the business & in the right light the Iris colour really is stunning.

 

It will be nice to see yours.

 

As I live very close to Shoehealer I have expected to see other bulk MTO's being worn around town but until yesterday when I called in to the shop I haven't seen any. I was met by a guy in an identical pair of Lollipop Red Eatons yesterday but think the chances of bumping into another pair of these will be more of a long shot although it would be nice to see what other people think & how they look after theirs.

 

Jonny.

I have certainly had my fair share of 'welts' from water drops on my cordovan shoes/boots. I find that a combination of time, brushing and mink oil renovating creme (like renovateur) get rid of them. I will also occasionally use a deer bone on them, this is seriously awesome on scuffs and small scratches, as well as stubborn welts. You can use wax polishes/cremes etc on cordovan. You should avoid anything turpentine based as that can dissolve many of the natural oils used in the tanning process. The other thing to note is that waxes/polishes and the corresponding dyes don't penetrate as well into cordovan because of the very small/fine pores. Finally the beauty of cordovan (in my opinion) is the natural shine and luster from a well kept pair of cordovan shoes (just check out a SF user by the name of Mcarthur and his collection of Alden cordovan shoes).

You *can* polish a pair of cordovan shoes like normal leather (to a high shine)- but I never would. There's nothing wrong with using a neutral wax/creme polish should you choose - just use a VERY small amount to ensure there's no cracking or build up in the creases.

post #806 of 1234
Thanks for the information which I'm sure will be useful.

I wasn't doubting the guys at Shoehealer as they know their stuff but it so happened the first website I looked at had some Do's & Don'ts regarding caring for Cordovan & high on that list was not to use cream & not to use any aerosol waterproofing sprays which threw me a bit.

I guess the waterproofing spray can help with the welts left by water drops by presumably not letting the water soak in but I must admit the cream doesn't seem to do anything other than sit on top of the Cordovan.

It definitely is a different material to calf leather & the more I learn about it & handle my boots the more I like it.

I do like to look after my boots as they are a considerable expense for me & I want them to look their best when I wear them but will just have to hold off on the polish with these & give them a wipe & a brush every now & again instead.

The deer bone & mink oil sound interesting. I'll try to find out a bit more about them.

i can see this being the start of a learning curve & hopefully my boots will look great for years to come.

I really love the Iris colour as I've already said but in the right light it is very special.

Thanks again.

Jonny.
Edited by Jonny Cooper - 5/27/13 at 2:23pm
post #807 of 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Cooper View Post

Thanks for the information which I'm sure will be useful.

I wasn't doubting the guys at Shoehealer as they know their stuff but it so happened the first website I looked at had some Do's & Don'ts regarding caring for Cordovan & high on that list was not to use cream & not to use any aerosol waterproofing sprays which threw me a bit.

I guess the waterproofing spray can help with the welts left by water drops by presumably not letting the water soak in but I must admit the cream doesn't seem to do anything other than sit on top of the Cordovan.

It definitely is a different material to calf leather & the more I learn about it & handle my boots the more I like it.

I do like to look after my boots as they are a considerable expense for me & I want them to look their best when I wear them but will just have to hold off on the polish with these & give them a wipe & a brush every now & again instead.

The deer bone & mink oil sound interesting. I'll try to find out a bit more about them.

i can see this being the start of a learning curve & hopefully my boots will look great for years to come.

I really love the Iris colour as I've already said but in the right light it is very special.

Thanks again.

Jonny.

 

The below link is pretty much the holy grail when it comes to cordovan care - it's angled towards Alden cordovan shoes, and from my experience Alden cordovan is more well nourished than any of the others and so is less likely to need things like the mink oil.

 

http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/the-mac-method/

I
've added in the use of mink oil and deer bone to the above method (only when the shoes need it). I basically just wipe down after use and give it a good going over with the brush, especially in the creases where some of the natural oils have been forced out (this is the discolouration you see around the crease lines)

Less than 12 hours to go for me! can't wait :D

post #808 of 1234
Hi Wombus.

Has there been a delay with the Iris Cordovan photo?

Richard from Shoehealer has some Magano brown Stow in production & has tried to interest me by tweeting me a photo.

They do look nice but I'm not sure funds will allow another pair so soon.

Jonny.
post #809 of 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Cooper View Post

Hi Wombus.

Has there been a delay with the Iris Cordovan photo?

Richard from Shoehealer has some Magano brown Stow in production & has tried to interest me by tweeting me a photo.

They do look nice but I'm not sure funds will allow another pair so soon.

Jonny.

Hey Jonny

The delay was me forgetting to take a photo of them! (whoops) Anyway I grabbed a photo just now of them in the setting sun - they really are great!! I've only gotten to wear them once so far, but right out of the box I think they are more comfortable than the Stows that I've walked 50+km in. Hopefully I can get a few more wears in over the next couple of weeks to really start building that natural shine!

As for the new MTO Stows, I'm onboard (richard emailed me the details - though I think I'm going to switch the commando sole for red brick dainite).... I think they look spectacular - particularly with the antiquing going on in the leather. Just think, with delivery around September just tuck away 40quid a week....

Anyway here's my photo (not the greatest but a quick iphone snap - will have to photo my collection this weekend!)

 

Cheers,
Matt

post #810 of 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombus View Post

Hey Jonny


The delay was me forgetting to take a photo of them! (whoops) Anyway I grabbed a photo just now of them in the setting sun - they really are great!! I've only gotten to wear them once so far, but right out of the box I think they are more comfortable than the Stows that I've walked 50+km in. Hopefully I can get a few more wears in over the next couple of weeks to really start building that natural shine!


As for the new MTO Stows, I'm onboard (richard emailed me the details - though I think I'm going to switch the commando sole for red brick dainite).... I think they look spectacular - particularly with the antiquing going on in the leather. Just think, with delivery around September just tuck away 40quid a week....


Anyway here's my photo (not the greatest but a quick iphone snap - will have to photo my collection this weekend!)

Cheers,

Matt

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Tricker's MTO - Forum group buy