or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More - Page 573

post #8581 of 9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush12345 View Post

Thats two. I believe we need atleast 6 to qualify for a GMTO. I still need to check for the attributes that can be changed.
Anybody else interested in a pair of burgundy cordovan oxfords (Simpson) ?
Just a note of caution that GMTO for cordovan has been put on hold as a result of shortage of cordovan leather until further notice.
post #8582 of 9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
 

 

Okay - I think we might just be using different terms to describe the same thing.  You don't describe the Simpson last as narrow fitting, per se, but agree that from a company that makes something in the order of two dozen lasts, none fit narrower than Simpson.

I think this might be the case. I refrain from using the word "narrow" as Carmina themselves describe the Simpson last as an E-width. 

post #8583 of 9511

Is it just me or the more I look at these kinds of shoes, the uglier AE/alden/etc look.

post #8584 of 9511
Not sure which one you are referring to since you have posted this same comment in three separate threads. For me personally I don't find either to look less attractive in comparison. Each brands have their own strengths and weaknesses and I judge them on their own merit abd value to me
post #8585 of 9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Not sure which one you are referring to since you have posted this same comment in three separate threads. For me personally I don't find either to look less attractive in comparison. Each brands have their own strengths and weaknesses and I judge them on their own merit abd value to me
I was just going to say that. I just saw the same comment on a couple of my subscriptions, haha.
post #8586 of 9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Not sure which one you are referring to since you have posted this same comment in three separate threads. For me personally I don't find either to look less attractive in comparison. Each brands have their own strengths and weaknesses and I judge them on their own merit abd value to me

 

I referred to these 4 brands I posted to.

 

EG, G&G, Vass and Carmina. There are still others but I think you get the message.

 

It's just that the more I look at these shoes at this price range, the less I value brands like

AE and alden in terms of style. 

 

Yes each brand has their own strength and weaknesses but

when we are talking in this price range I bet there is a little to none

difference in quality. I am purely talking here about aesthetics.

post #8587 of 9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLime View Post

I referred to these 4 brands I posted to.

EG, G&G, Vass and Carmina. There are still others but I think you get the message.

It's just that the more I look at these shoes at this price range, the less I value brands like
AE and alden in terms of style. 

Yes each brand has their own strength and weaknesses but
when we are talking in this price range I bet there is a little to none
difference in quality. I am purely talking here about aesthetics.

I don't feel that a more expensive shoe always looks better than a cheaper shoe. YMMV. I think you are seeing some of the quality in these shoes that makes them look better.
post #8588 of 9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLime View Post
 

 

I referred to these 4 brands I posted to.

 

EG, G&G, Vass and Carmina. There are still others but I think you get the message.

 

It's just that the more I look at these shoes at this price range, the less I value brands like

AE and alden in terms of style. 

 

Yes each brand has their own strength and weaknesses but

when we are talking in this price range I bet there is a little to none

difference in quality. I am purely talking here about aesthetics.

In terms of price, if I'm not mistaken, there is a bit of a step up from AE to Alden, and then another small (but quickly narrowing) step up between Alden and Carmina, and then another step up to some of the other brands you mentioned.  I mean, calf AE's cost like $350, if i'm not mistaken.  Calf EG or G&G cost many more times over, if i'm not mistaken.

 

Also, in terms of quality, I think there is a step up between AE and Alden.  (Quality, not quality control, but quality of materials and construction method). Then another step up in construction quality (mainly finish and attention to detail) between Alden and Carmina.  Not much experience with other brands mentioned, but I imagine the trend continues

 

 

I guess what i'm trying to say is that AE and EG/GG are not in the same category in either price or quality.  I wouldn't even say that AE and Carmina are comparable.  AE and Alden, maybe, but to me, there is a noticeable difference in price and quality.

 

For me personally, I want something a little bit nicer than AE and am willing to pay more to get it.  EG and GG is too rich for my blood (and to sleek/dainty).  Alden and Carmina (the fuller lasts) are the sweet spot for me.

post #8589 of 9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

In terms of price, if I'm not mistaken, there is a bit of a step up from AE to Alden, and then another small (but quickly narrowing) step up between Alden and Carmina, and then another step up to some of the other brands you mentioned.  I mean, calf AE's cost like $350, if i'm not mistaken.  Calf EG or G&G cost many more times over, if i'm not mistaken.

Also, in terms of quality, I think there is a step up between AE and Alden.  (Quality, not quality control, but quality of materials and construction method). Then another step up in construction quality (mainly finish and attention to detail) between Alden and Carmina.  Not much experience with other brands mentioned, but I imagine the trend continues


I guess what i'm trying to say is that AE and EG/GG are not in the same category in either price or quality.  I wouldn't even say that AE and Carmina are comparable.  AE and Alden, maybe, but to me, there is a noticeable difference in price and quality.

For me personally, I want something a little bit nicer than AE and am willing to pay more to get it.  EG and GG is too rich for my blood (and to sleek/dainty).  Alden and Carmina (the fuller lasts) are the sweet spot for me.

You know you aren't, haha!
post #8590 of 9511
Depending on who you order from, Carmina calf and suede are now a good deal less expensive than their Alden counterparts. Even on sale at $368, I've held off on Epaulet's Alden Salzburger blucher because I would rather put the money towards a Carmina model for not that much more.
post #8591 of 9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


You know you aren't, haha!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

Depending on who you order from, Carmina calf and suede are now a good deal less expensive than their Alden counterparts. Even on sale at $368, I've held off on Epaulet's Alden Salzburger blucher because I would rather put the money towards a Carmina model for not that much more.

 

You see Tif, this is why I wanted to qualify my statements.  (Just in case I actually am mistaken.)

 

It doesn't happen very often, quite the opposite, actually, but about once every few years I say something that might not be entirely correct in 100% of all instances.

 

In all seriousness though, Buda is correct.  For example, Carmina Suede loafers from Gentlemans Footwear vs Alden Suede loafers form Leffot.

post #8592 of 9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

Depending on who you order from, Carmina calf and suede are now a good deal less expensive than their Alden counterparts. Even on sale at $368, I've held off on Epaulet's Alden Salzburger blucher because I would rather put the money towards a Carmina model for not that much more.

 

And Carmina shell (especially in interesting colors) is now less than Alden and on par with AE.

post #8593 of 9511

We're planning an MTO over at the Gentlemen's Footwear affiliate thread. Anyone interested?

 

X-post:

 

Hello guys,

 

It's a real classic we're going with this time: A simple, dark brown suede chukka with three eyelets.

 

Specifications:

 

Model: 80176

Last: Soller

Dark brown (chocolate) suede

Single Dainite sole

 

It'll look like the chukka on the picture below, although with three eyelets:

 

Chukka (Click to show)

 

Here's another picture. This time with three eyelets, although not in dark brown suede:

 

Three eyelet chukka (Click to show)

 

Contact @steveyoo1983 if you're interested! These chukkas will be awesome for the coming fall! :) 

post #8594 of 9511

 

 

 

 

We have two cordovan models on sale at this time.  The 922 on rain last.  Saddle(light brown) and Cognac(Brown)

Saddle 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 8.5UK

Cognac 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 9.5UK

Please pm me for price and availability.

post #8595 of 9511

Hello All,

 

I am looking to buy my first pair of Carmina. The use of the shoe will be business (very) casual at work and the occasional shopping trip on the weekends. What would you guys suggest between these two: The loafer is on Uetam and I believe the Semi-Brogue is on Rain.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More