I wasn't being a smartass; I'm in on the MTO, am worried about sizing, and have no experience with those other lasts. Given that I have no idea how his foot is shaped, I can't infer too much from his description.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandCarminatagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- itemCarmina Double Monk Inca Lasttagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemCarmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boottagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- topicChukkatagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
- categoryLoaferstagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
- categoryPull On Boots Chelsea Bootstagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- topicShoestagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on Today at 7:01 pm in Classic Menswear
- John Lobb Appreciation Thread Last post on 1/27/15 at 8:23am in Classic Menswear
- Brown Double Monks $300- $400 range Last post on 9/13/12 at 11:42am in Classic Menswear
- most versatile shoe? Last post on 9/13/12 at 8:37pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina, Epaulet, and Styleforum Fall '12 Shortwing Boot Project Last post on 12/7/12 at 8:53am in Classic Menswear
Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)
Last edited: 12/11/12
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12
Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More - Page 126
Styleforum Top Picks
The interest have been great and we ended up with 17 people. This must be some sort of record. Closing a group buy at SF in one week sounds impossible but miracles happen
The partisipants will get a PM as soon as i´m done sorting the data out. Don´t PM me, my inbox will burst
Alright then, just back from the store after having tried the Oscar last. FWIW my experience of other lasts is pretty much limited to Alfred Sargent, where I am a 7.5 in last 99, 109, and 724.
This is the shoe I tried: http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/news/carmina-80188-oscar-marron. What was immediately apparent was that it was real snug around the heel, snug enough that I would hesitate in wearing my normal size if I were to walk around in it all day. It was also a bit tight around the instep and the waist, though this could be alleviated by lacing the shoes a bit looser than I might normally like. I imagine this might not be quite as pronounced in a derby, but I am by no means an expert.
I then tried the same shoe in a size 8, which pretty much resolved every issue I had with the 7.5 without making the shoe too big in other areas. In retrospect I of course should have compared it to other Carmina lasts, unfortunately I did not. In conclusion I will be going up half a size. My thinking is that I will likely want to wear a thicker sock in the winter, and as I was a bit hesitant of my normal size to begin with, this fact put me over the edge.
EDIT: Oh and for those who were wondering the cognac is pretty damn attractive in the flesh.
Just wanted to say that the 80188 is a nice looking shoe. Not sure I've seen many brouge-less, straight cap oxfords with a counter like that. Melikes.
Skoaktiebolaget has some fine makeups.
You ended up on the sweet side of that dealio. Those navy shell boots will be among your favorites for a LLLLOONNNGGGGG time.
Which in your world is what? Perhaps three or four months!??!?!?!?!?!?!
Very nice gives off a modified last look a bit. Really bummed shoes&shirts won't ship to the USA they have a ravello model similar to this for sub 700 with VAT
Oh you cold, g, ice cold. I'm going to live those shoes a long time. I'm convinced now that navy shell is the most versatile shoe color
Hands off (enter hand slapping .gif)
No more shoes for you (enter soup nazi .gif)
Why aren't you working, NAMOR? (enter Donald trump fired .gif)
I realized that my account would be a bit lacking when I typed it. I just figured it might be of some limited value. I took digletts comment to be a bit tongue in cheek though, so I'm not offended. Frank also compelled me to make a last comparison, but in my haste I didn't check my PMs and so I neglected it. My bad.
OT: I think digletts avatar is Tom Hardy from the movie "Bronson". I have not seen it though, so I just read all his posts in the voice of Bane. Now you know something about me.
It's obviously not a huge issue that you didn't check out the other Carmina lasts (as nobody expected you to do that in the first place), but it would have been nice. Regardless, I'm sure some folks could make good use of your comparisons.
Oh, and you're absolutely right about the avatar.
ICE ICE Baby.
I don't even own navy shell (yet) but those bootz have definitely stuck in my mind. I can imagine a gazillion ways to wear them.
- Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More
Styleforum Top Picks
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 2 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 3 minutes ago
- › BNIB Campanile "Marron Cordovan" Cap toe 10.5 UK 11.5 US (made of... 4 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 6 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 7 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 11 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 11 minutes ago
- › Tie brands we may not have heard of (but are worth knowing) 15 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE Jan 30, 2015: A study in stripes, part deux 17 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays