Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandCarminatagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- itemCarmina Detroit Lasttagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- itemCarmina Double Monk Inca Lasttagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemCarmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boottagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- topicChukkatagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
- categoryLoaferstagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
- categoryPull On Boots Chelsea Bootstagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- topicShell Cordovantagged by NAMOR, 7/3/15More
- topicShoestagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- Pediwear Shoes - Official Thread Last post on 9/28/15 at 8:43am in Classic Menswear
- Carmina vs. Carmina for the Armoury Last post on 7/14/15 at 11:03am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy Last post on Yesterday at 11:46 pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)Last edited: 12/11/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) - Page 3
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 155375/4/11 at 8:32ampost #33 of 155375/4/11 at 10:57pmpost #34 of 155375/4/11 at 11:26pm
Machine welting (using the Goodyear welting machine) usually, possibly always, involves gemming.post #35 of 155377/29/11 at 11:28ampost #36 of 155377/29/11 at 12:26pmpost #37 of 155377/29/11 at 12:45pmpost #38 of 155377/29/11 at 1:14pmpost #39 of 155377/29/11 at 2:33pm...finally they've updated their website. I had no idea Carmina had so many models and lasts -- and for ladies, too. Now if I only had a lady to shoe up...
Here's some porn in boot form: derby boot, model 797 in mid-brown (as in not Cigar or Ravello) shell cordovan, Forest last, leather soles. As for price-quality ratio, Carmina brings the most bang for one's buck in RTW shell cordovan models. Do forget Alden.post #40 of 155377/29/11 at 2:51pmpost #41 of 155377/29/11 at 3:07pm
It all starts with a trip to Paris...
Sure, the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Notre Dame are must see attractions. However, no trip to Paris is complete (as far as SFers are concerned) without a visit to Carmina.
The 'soldes' were on, but alas, the following pair was not on that list. C'est triste.
More pictures, including lickable soles, are included in the spoiler.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #42 of 155377/29/11 at 3:26pmpost #43 of 155377/29/11 at 3:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by upnorthQuote:I don't know whether Carmina is gemmed or not and I don't have information about amount of handwork. I may ask Betty Albaladejo those questions, if she agrees to answer them. As for welting, all Carmina's shoes are Goodyear.
I believe all goodyear welted shoes are gemmed and by extension, all Carminas. Maybe DW can confirm this.
Technically speaking Goodyear welted refers to a process which typically involves gemming. Any shoe that is advertised as being Goodyear welted should be suspected of using gemming.
The original Goodyear welted shoe relied on a rather complex and not very functional method of cutting two channels in a leather insole and folding them up perpendicular to the surface of the insole. I am not sure how many factories still use this method but it was more or less abandoned in favour of the gemming years ago. I would suspect that there are not many machines left that can cut and fold the channnels.
But the term Goodyear welted" is based on the a machine invented by a fellow named Goodyear. It requires a standing rib of some sort.
Nine times out of ten if it is Goodyear Welted it is gemmed.
There are also machines that can channel an insole and sew an inseam much like a hand welted inseam would be done. It is my understanding that this method is not "Goodyear welted" however. It is something else again. The machines that do this are few and far between and are difficult to control especially on narrow toes.
Vass is hand-welted...they are not Goodyear welted. If someone says they are, they are misusing the terminology--I read the book, cover to cover.post #44 of 155377/29/11 at 4:59pm
I was in Paris in May and bought the second pair from the left. I wanted those suede/calf onces on the right, but the only size they had was a half size too small. Bummed. I still might order them, though I've fallen in love with the walnut Carmina pair that I did score.post #45 of 155377/29/11 at 5:41pm
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 26 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 50 seconds ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Styleforum and A&H present "The Proper Kit" Trunk show in NYC, Nov... 4 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 5 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 6 minutes ago
- › British workwear / heritage brands 7 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth