I wasn't being a smartass; I'm in on the MTO, am worried about sizing, and have no experience with those other lasts. Given that I have no idea how his foot is shaped, I can't infer too much from his description.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandCarminatagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- itemCarmina Detroit Lasttagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- itemCarmina Double Monk Inca Lasttagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemCarmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boottagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- topicChukkatagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
- categoryLoaferstagged by SYSTEM, 8/11/11
- categoryPull On Boots Chelsea Bootstagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- topicShell Cordovantagged by NAMOR, 7/3/15More
- topicShoestagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- Pediwear Shoes - Official Thread Last post on Yesterday at 1:19 pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina vs. Carmina for the Armoury Last post on 7/14/15 at 11:03am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy Last post on Today at 11:14 pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn StyleLast edited: 10/14/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) - Page 126
Styleforum Top Pickspost #1877 of 1604410/12/12 at 3:13pmThe shell MTO is closed.
The interest have been great and we ended up with 17 people. This must be some sort of record. Closing a group buy at SF in one week sounds impossible but miracles happen
The partisipants will get a PM as soon as i´m done sorting the data out. Don´t PM me, my inbox will burstpost #1878 of 1604410/12/12 at 3:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by Concub1ne
Alright then, just back from the store after having tried the Oscar last. FWIW my experience of other lasts is pretty much limited to Alfred Sargent, where I am a 7.5 in last 99, 109, and 724.
This is the shoe I tried: http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/news/carmina-80188-oscar-marron. What was immediately apparent was that it was real snug around the heel, snug enough that I would hesitate in wearing my normal size if I were to walk around in it all day. It was also a bit tight around the instep and the waist, though this could be alleviated by lacing the shoes a bit looser than I might normally like. I imagine this might not be quite as pronounced in a derby, but I am by no means an expert.
I then tried the same shoe in a size 8, which pretty much resolved every issue I had with the 7.5 without making the shoe too big in other areas. In retrospect I of course should have compared it to other Carmina lasts, unfortunately I did not. In conclusion I will be going up half a size. My thinking is that I will likely want to wear a thicker sock in the winter, and as I was a bit hesitant of my normal size to begin with, this fact put me over the edge.
EDIT: Oh and for those who were wondering the cognac is pretty damn attractive in the flesh.
Just wanted to say that the 80188 is a nice looking shoe. Not sure I've seen many brouge-less, straight cap oxfords with a counter like that. Melikes.
Skoaktiebolaget has some fine makeups.post #1879 of 1604410/12/12 at 3:27pmpost #1880 of 1604410/12/12 at 3:30pmQuote:
You ended up on the sweet side of that dealio. Those navy shell boots will be among your favorites for a LLLLOONNNGGGGG time.
Which in your world is what? Perhaps three or four months!??!?!?!?!?!?!post #1881 of 1604410/12/12 at 3:30pmQuote:
Very nice gives off a modified last look a bit. Really bummed shoes&shirts won't ship to the USA they have a ravello model similar to this for sub 700 with VATpost #1882 of 1604410/12/12 at 3:37pmQuote:
Oh you cold, g, ice cold. I'm going to live those shoes a long time. I'm convinced now that navy shell is the most versatile shoe colorpost #1883 of 1604410/12/12 at 3:40pmQuote:
Hands off (enter hand slapping .gif)
No more shoes for you (enter soup nazi .gif)
Why aren't you working, NAMOR? (enter Donald trump fired .gif)post #1884 of 1604410/12/12 at 3:42pm
I realized that my account would be a bit lacking when I typed it. I just figured it might be of some limited value. I took digletts comment to be a bit tongue in cheek though, so I'm not offended. Frank also compelled me to make a last comparison, but in my haste I didn't check my PMs and so I neglected it. My bad.
OT: I think digletts avatar is Tom Hardy from the movie "Bronson". I have not seen it though, so I just read all his posts in the voice of Bane. Now you know something about me.post #1885 of 1604410/12/12 at 3:42pmpost #1886 of 1604410/12/12 at 3:49pm
It's obviously not a huge issue that you didn't check out the other Carmina lasts (as nobody expected you to do that in the first place), but it would have been nice. Regardless, I'm sure some folks could make good use of your comparisons.
Oh, and you're absolutely right about the avatar.post #1887 of 1604410/12/12 at 3:59pmpost #1888 of 1604410/12/12 at 5:18pmpost #1889 of 1604410/12/12 at 5:45pmQuote:
ICE ICE Baby.
I don't even own navy shell (yet) but those bootz have definitely stuck in my mind. I can imagine a gazillion ways to wear them.
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 4 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 10 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 12 minutes ago
- › Heavy smartphones and suits/sports jackets 12 minutes ago
- › Styleforum Gives 2015 - Our annual holiday charity auctions for the... 15 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 23 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 39 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 44 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories