or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) - Page 1179

post #17671 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

You do have an incredible collection of shell balmoral boots! Have any Carninas to show off?


Thanks my friend.

 

Here is one of my more recent acquisitions:

photo IMG_2841_zpstxo0ar0q.jpg

 

Exotic?  Yes.

 

Expensive?  Yes.

 

Exquisite?  Absolutely, Yes.

 

These are one of my all time favorites.  And to think that some dear chap had them collecting dust in his closet...

 

It is also interesting to note that I recently went through a period whereby I became a bit disenchanted with my shoes and boots.  After much reflection, I concluded that I felt a certain sense of fulfillment and completion.  This was due, in part, to my having procured some of the rarest and most beautiful designs that are available.

 

So now, I am just patiently gathering together some of the most rare and fascinating shell cordovan boots and shoes that I can find.

 

I really enjoy the ability to custom design my own models based upon my own conceptions. 

 

Thanks.

post #17672 of 18888
Good lord, those are phenomenal. I really wish I could get the Rain last to work with my feet. It's so lovely...
post #17673 of 18888

Some reasons why I enjoy shell cordovan:

 

1.  The vastly different nuances of color that come to fruition when the leather is exposed in various and sundry lighting conditions.

 

2.  The resistance to scuffs.

 

3.  The heritage and sheer amount of time and effort that goes into producing the leather.

 

4.  Typically, if you really want to know how good a shoemaker is, you will buy a pair of cordovans from them.  They employ their very finest craftsmen to work the leather because it is so expense and rare.

 

5.  The presence of rolls rather than creases.  As Jazz suggested, the better the fit, the better the rolls.

 

Thanks. 


Edited by Watchman1 - 5/18/16 at 8:12pm
post #17674 of 18888
^^^ agreed

BUT, I guess I'm wondering what is it about suede or calf that you DONT like? Particularly from a maker like Edward Green, whose leather work is so divine?
post #17675 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

^^^ agreed

BUT, I guess I'm wondering what is it about suede or calf that you DONT like? Particularly from a maker like Edward Green, whose leather work is so divine?


Good questions.

 

EG does an incredible job with their calfskin expressions.  Artful no doubt.  The Shannon in particular is very beautiful.

 

I'm sure I will get around to it.  

 

As for now, I am working to get a pair of Ruby and Navy cordovans.

 

Did I forget to mention that I procured another cordovan grail today?

post #17676 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post


Good questions.

EG does an incredible job with their calfskin expressions.  Artful no doubt.  The Shannon in particular is very beautiful.

I'm sure I will get around to it.  

As for now, I am working to get a pair of Ruby and Navy cordovans.

Did I forget to mention that I procured another cordovan grail today?

Oh man, you should have joined my Carmina navy LWB back in December. I love mine so much. Check out GYW on Reddit. There are some really cool GMTOs being discussed if you become a member of our community there.

What didja get? Something for a different thread?
post #17677 of 18888

It was for this thread.  I am really into Carmina all over again.

 

Primarily because I figured out my sizing.  And also because I like the Cognac Shade so much.

 

Dr. Pepper you know it is my custom to withhold the intricate details of my acquisitions until the day that they are received.

 

What are the current GYW MTO's?

post #17678 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

It was for this thread.  I am really into Carmina all over again.

Primarily because I figured out my sizing.  And also because I like the Cognac Shade so much.

Dr. Pepper you know it is my custom to withhold the intricate details of my acquisitions until the day that they are received.

What are the current GYW MTO's?

Those boots are stunning. Bravo...
post #17679 of 18888
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post


Mine just arrived, so two weeks on the dot. Also, thanks for the sizing advice, these just arrived and they fit great!

 

What shoe is this? Looks great! Mto?

post #17680 of 18888
Prefer calf. All shell age towards the same colour over time.
post #17681 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwy View Post

Prefer calf. All shell age towards the same colour over time.

I'll second that. 

One trillion times over.

post #17682 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post
 


I am the strange and eccentric chap that wears shell cordovan only.

 

There have been a few over the years who have taken me to task over my affinity and I'm cool with that.

 

Collecting shoes and boots in shell cordovan is essentially my only hobby outside of work.

 

Some blokes hunt and fish, others enjoy cars etc.  I enjoy those things as well.  But, this is my favorite.

 

I almost bought a pair of EG's recently in calfskin.  But then I came to my senses.  

 

Thanks.

jajaja, very eccentric indeed. :fonz:.  Thanks Whatchman1

post #17683 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post
 

Some reasons why I enjoy shell cordovan:

 

1.  The vastly different nuances of color that come to fruition when the leather is exposed in various and sundry lighting conditions.

 

2.  The resistance to scuffs.

 

3.  The heritage and sheer amount of time and effort that goes into producing the leather.

 

4.  Typically, if you really want to know how good a shoemaker is, you will buy a pair of cordovans from them.  They employ their very finest craftsmen to work the leather because it is so expense and rare.

 

5.  The presence of rolls rather than creases.  As Jazz suggested, the better the fit, the better the rolls.

 

Thanks. 

Agree with all that.  Although I prefer calf because the leather is softer, you have different textures and develops really nice natural patina. It is true that shell will last longer but that is not an issue for calf either.  Main problem for shell its the current price..  

post #17684 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post
 

Agree with all that.  Although I prefer calf because the leather is softer, you have different textures and develops really nice natural patina. It is true that shell will last longer but that is not an issue for calf either.  Main problem for shell its the current price..  


I disagree with the "current price" argument...Shell has demanded a premium for at least the 8-10 years...and over that time shell has gone up about $25 (a $2.50 increase per year isn't too bad, is it?). I could swear that Alden shell was selling at the Shoemart for about $670 when I first started out about a decade ago....and.... I just looked at Shoemart and Alden shell is now $695-720 (boots).  Yes it's a premium over calf...but it always has been....but no...it's not a premium over shell of days past...

post #17685 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post
 

Some reasons why I enjoy shell cordovan:

 

 

2.  The resistance to scuffs.

.

 

Thanks. 

 

 

Shell is amazing when it comes to taking punishment and bouncing back...My daughter put a 3 inch scratch right on the toe of  my EG Newmarkets in calf ....and I can't work the F'ing thing out to save my life...had they been shell a bit of time with a deer bone/spoon and brush would have worked it right out....and despite the difference in opinion on the matter...shell is most often my go to for  rain and poor weather.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)