or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) - Page 1171

post #17551 of 18827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMarch View Post

Nice boots there.
I have a feeling though, that Carmina's "kudu" might not be actual antelope hides (like the Peabody ones G&G, Meccariello uses). The grain pattern is completely different.
Horween does a few chromexcel variants, each with a slightly different tannage. And these utilise regular calf. One of these is called (somewhat misleadingly) kudu. Which is what I suspect we're looking at here. It does have that slightly matt, oily appearance of pull up leather.

You're right, Carmina and Alden use the bovine "Kudu" from Horween. Definitely Not the same as the Peabody Kudu antelope leather.
Edited by peppercorn78 - 5/2/16 at 4:42pm
post #17552 of 18827
Quote:

Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post



Finally got my first pair of Kudu






where did you get these from?

post #17553 of 18827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr1988 View Post
 
Quote:
 
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post



Finally got my first pair of Kudu
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


 

where did you get these from?

 

It was a GMTO we ran some time ago :)

post #17554 of 18827

Speaking of GMTOs...

we are running few GMTOs that will close end of this week! 

We have the Oscar Jumper boots above in dark brown lama calf and few more!

 

 

http://gentlemensfootwear.com/pages/made-to-order-pre-orders

 

 

GMTO #1.

80387 U Wing Boots (Without Toe Medallion) / Rain / Golden Museum Calf / Dainite

GMTO #2.

80184 Jumper Boots / Oscar / Brown Lama / Stormwelt / Dainite

GMTO #3.

80229 Punched Captoe Boots (Unlined Shaft) / Rain / Polo Suede / Dainite

GMTO #4.

80191 Penny Loafer / Uetam / Medium Brown Calf / Leather Sole

post #17555 of 18827
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post
 

Wonder if the $35 is just to cover the FedEx prepaid label. If that's the case, I'll pay for the shipping myself. $35 is absurd from where I live to ship to NJ/NY.

 

Hopefully I won't need to find out, as I'm decently confident that 7 UK Detroit will work for my 8D Barrie foot.

FWIW, I wear 8D Barrie and 7UK Detroit. 7UK Detroit fits perfectly. It is just a tad snugger than Barrie, but still roomy for me.

post #17556 of 18827
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

You're right, Carmina and Alden use the bovine "Kudu" from Horween. Definitely Not the same as the Peabody Kudu antelope leather.
Thought I remember Mike at EP running a Kudu shoe with Carmina and saying that it was indeed antelope. But I may be wrong on that.
post #17557 of 18827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMarch View Post

Nice boots there.
I have a feeling though, that Carmina's "kudu" might not be actual antelope hides (like the Peabody ones G&G, Meccariello uses). The grain pattern is completely different.
Horween does a few chromexcel variants, each with a slightly different tannage. And these utilise regular calf. One of these is called (somewhat misleadingly) kudu. Which is what I suspect we're looking at here. It does have that slightly matt, oily appearance of pull up leather.
Thundermarch is very correct it's not the same thing as gg & Antonio uses same goes for Alden kudu also.
post #17558 of 18827
I believe it is CF Stead Kudu which is different tannage from Peabody but still antelope. Alden Kudu is cow from Horween.
post #17559 of 18827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwy View Post

I believe it is CF Stead Kudu which is different tannage from Peabody but still antelope. Alden Kudu is cow from Horween.

Hmm, interesting. Would love to know definitively!
post #17560 of 18827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMarch View Post

Nice boots there.
I have a feeling though, that Carmina's "kudu" might not be actual antelope hides (like the Peabody ones G&G, Meccariello uses). The grain pattern is completely different.
Horween does a few chromexcel variants, each with a slightly different tannage. And these utilise regular calf. One of these is called (somewhat misleadingly) kudu. Which is what I suspect we're looking at here. It does have that slightly matt, oily appearance of pull up leather.
Indeed very different from Peabody kudu.

It does look nice in its own way as well. It's quite soft and pliable and I think this will develop a darker patina real quick.
post #17561 of 18827
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post


Indeed very different from Peabody kudu.

It does look nice in its own way as well. It's quite soft and pliable and I think this will develop a darker patina real quick.

Oh yes.

Regardless of what the leather is, I think the look is pretty good. It looks rugged and like it could take a beating. Perfect for our climate.

post #17562 of 18827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwy View Post

I believe it is CF Stead Kudu which is different tannage from Peabody but still antelope. Alden Kudu is cow from Horween.

This is correct, it's antelope just from a different source than what G&G uses. Ron Rider had done some GMTOs in the same leather and referred to it as CF Stead Gaucho kudu.
post #17563 of 18827

 

Wearing my new black box calf chelseas on Rain from Unipair. Rain's definitely my favorite last for chelseas and jodhpurs.

post #17564 of 18827

Cognac shell longwings 2day. These are on the Detroit last:

 

7r4NOI0.jpg

post #17565 of 18827

anyone know if the 45 days of production actually take that long if the shoe is currently out of stock?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)