or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) - Page 1116

post #16726 of 18888

Thank you Sir Justonemore and Leaves soooo much for your explanations and the charts are certainly made my day!

Before I set sail on my journey of Classic Shoes, I think I would go for the short Wing Rain last for the slandered shape and should matches (correct me if I've mistaken) with relatively my flat foot for the "room" issue.  

 

Just one more question, the reason I pick Carmina is for its history and price vs quality.  Which one brand (and model) would you pick if you were to pick your very first fine quality classic shoes with reasonable price.  Thanks again for all of you gents warm replies and helpful comments!

 

Cheers, 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemore View Post
 


As to your other questions....There is a wealth of info out there and I'm sure you could find it all on this site....As to last (forest, Rain, etc) these are blocks of wood that shoes are shaped on...A shoe on the rain last will have a different appearence and profile than a shoe on the forest. I believe carmina's website has side by side photos and descriptions of all lasts.. Resellers carrying Carmina are also a good source of info on lasts and sizing...a quick email or phone call should handle the problem...

 

Here...I hunted down a photo comparing the different Carmina lasts...

 

 

Just as we have the terms plain toe and cap-toe, broguing is a term we use for the punching on the shoe..  Wingtip Oxfords are an example of a full brogue whereas a med cap-toe would be considered as a half or semi-brogue

 

These  Carmina "short wing" oxfords (also known as a Balmoral) are the perfect example of a full brogue.

 

 

While these medallion cap-toe oxfords are considered as semi-brogues......

 

Take a good look at the shape of the previous 2 shoes..They are on the Rain last...They are sleek looking, the toe takes a certain shape ("chisled"). These shoes were formed on the rain last....Now compare them to these  Carmina perforated cap-toes that were formed on the Forest last....

 

The toes are round(er). The shoe carries much more of a profile.It's a completely different shoe...and this is why we speak of the different lasts. Now if you had a size 12 in both of those last, which one would you think is roomier on your foot? The forest, right? Sooo. If a size 12 Forest is snug on you...you would probably want to consider ordering a size 12.5 in the Rain last...are you following me so far?

 

Now take a look at the broguing on these shoes....From the toe it comes across the shoe and slopes down at the half way point....These are called "short wings"

 


Whereas when the broguing continues all the way down the side of the shoe, we call them "longwings"....

 

 

This chart is nice for beginers although a bit basic. I personally disagree that monks/double monks are less formal than derbies/bluchers. I pair suits with monks/double monks...yet I would never do so with a derby/blucher.

 

post #16727 of 18888
Where can I get those new double monks?
post #16728 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post

Where can I get those new double monks?
What new DM are you getting?
post #16729 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmss View Post

Carminas new monk strap on Buger last is out of this world

These ones
post #16730 of 18888
My foot is slightly wider than normal, with a somewhat flat arch. Do you think Carmina shoes would work for me? I am looking for a formal black one.
Thank you.
post #16731 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post

These ones
I am in market for DM will check them out. How dose this last fit compare to other last?
post #16732 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post


These ones

 

Where is that even available? Not in Carmina online store.

post #16733 of 18888
You Gentlemen will save me lots of time by telling me this: how do you find the Robert last to fit, generally speaking?

Thanks.
post #16734 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

You Gentlemen will save me lots of time by telling me this: how do you find the Robert last to fit, generally speaking?

Thanks.

Bro, PLEASE don't tell me you're about to buy another pair with your new unicorns on the way! Haha, you're the best Watchy! I wanna be like you when I grow up. wink.gif
post #16735 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Bro, PLEASE don't tell me you're about to buy another pair with your new unicorns on the way! Haha, you're the best Watchy! I wanna be like you when I grow up. wink.gif

Bro, it's the one in one out rule right now.

I am/have offloaded LOTS of unicorns.

Trying now to get stuff that actually fits.
post #16736 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

Bro, it's the one in one out rule right now.

I am/have offloaded LOTS of unicorns.

Trying now to get stuff that actually fits.

I hear you! Did you have to sell one of those bonafes?
post #16737 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

I hear you! Did you have to sell one of those bonafes?

Thank God no, not yet.

They are in the "OK" fitting category. The 804 last fits very well. 946 is ok.

I have a pair of Carmina cognac PTB that are just not wide enough and have to go unfortunately.

I have not had the time to put them up for sale yet.

My schedule is insane right now...
post #16738 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

You Gentlemen will save me lots of time by telling me this: how do you find the Robert last to fit, generally speaking?

Thanks.

I have bal boots on Robert in 9.5UK and I wear them with thick socks. The last is comfortable all around (not narrow in the toe, regular instep, heel's not too wide), great for all day wear. They're a hair big to wear with regular dress socks so I relegate them to cold-weather duty. And with the dainite soles, I guess that's how it should be anyway.
post #16739 of 18888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawl Lapel View Post


I have bal boots on Robert in 9.5UK and I wear them with thick socks. The last is comfortable all around (not narrow in the toe, regular instep, heel's not too wide), great for all day wear. They're a hair big to wear with regular dress socks so I relegate them to cold-weather duty. And with the dainite soles, I guess that's how it should be anyway.


I wear the same size in Oscar, Robert and Uetam.  in terms of roominess: Oscar>Robert>Uetam.  Also worth noting, the instep is slightly on the high side, and the toe box is slightly on the narrow side.

post #16740 of 18888
I wear all Carmina and Meermin shoes in the same 9.5UK size with exception of Simpson where I take 10UK. All the variations of different last I can compensate by different sock thickness, without being too tight or having heel slippage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post


I wear the same size in Oscar, Robert and Uetam.  in terms of roominess: Oscar>Robert>Uetam.  Also worth noting, the instep is slightly on the high side, and the toe box is slightly on the narrow side.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)