or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Carmina Shoe P0rn.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Carmina Shoe P0rn. - Page 143

post #2131 of 8954
what navy shell looks like after a rain storm




i think its ironic that shell is considered to be this rugged, durable, material, able to withstand the elements and yet it actually looks like shit after just a few droplet. wtf?!?
post #2132 of 8954

All you need to do is give it a quick brush and it's back to the way it was.

post #2133 of 8954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

All you need to do is give it a quick brush and it's back to the way it was.

i dont want to give a brush. not every time i put on my shoes and then take them off. im too busy not sleeping musicboohoo[1].gif
post #2134 of 8954
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post


i think its ironic that shell is considered to be this rugged, durable, material, able to withstand the elements and yet it actually looks like shit after just a few droplet. wtf?!?

 

Dunno if you saw my comments in the Crockett & Jones thread, but I found out last week that C&J specifically advise against using shell for any boot that is designed for poor (as in wet) weather...

post #2135 of 8954
^ I would agree. Best for fall or spring. In other words only wear in ideal conditions otherwise they'll throw a fit and make you look bad in front of the girl whose number you got an she looks at your boots and thinks what a cheap ass lazy man that can't afford or doesn't have time to polish his blue Walmart boots when in fact i polished them just that morning
post #2136 of 8954
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

^ I would agree. Best for fall or spring. In other words only wear in ideal conditions otherwise they'll throw a fit and make you look bad in front of the girl whose number you got an she looks at your boots and thinks what a cheap ass lazy man that can't afford or doesn't have time to polish his blue Walmart boots when in fact i polished them just that morning

Haha. Funny girl, she thinks you are lazy because you don´t polish your shoes but doesn´t care that you picked them up at Walmart. Good thing she´s not real smile.gif
post #2137 of 8954
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Kinda want a black scotch grain mashup
Similar base of nick horweens boot
with majority of boot black scotch grain
lacing area in burgundy or purple suede
all eyelets
storm welt
double dainite
or something like that? Not a fan of Bal boots most of the time myself

Not a fan of that combo...I would do grey suede with smooth black calf, single dainite sole and speed hooks.
post #2138 of 8954
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

^ I would agree. Best for fall or spring. In other words only wear in ideal conditions otherwise they'll throw a fit and make you look bad in front of the girl whose number you got an she looks at your boots and thinks what a cheap ass lazy man that can't afford or doesn't have time to polish his blue Walmart boots when in fact i polished them just that morning

Shell will do that.

You need to find the right girls. You know, the kind that wanna get down on their knees and polish your boots while wearing nothing but an apron. The boots are not the problem - it's the girl.
post #2139 of 8954
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

 

Dunno if you saw my comments in the Crockett & Jones thread, but I found out last week that C&J specifically advise against using shell for any boot that is designed for poor (as in wet) weather...

Wait...so what the hell am I supposed to wear in the rain? I have shell boots on the way, and thought that they would be ideal for wet weather.

post #2140 of 8954
Slap some Alden leather defender on them.

The thing is though, some shell shoes blister and some don't. It's really luck of the draw.
I've had good luck removing/minimizing the blisters with the back of a spoon and saphir reno.

I wear my shell year around, rain or shine.
post #2141 of 8954
Quote:
Originally Posted by diglett View Post

Wait...so what the hell am I supposed to wear in the rain? I have shell boots on the way, and thought that they would be ideal for wet weather.

 

A normal waxy and/or grained calf leather, if you want something that doesn't need any special attention after exposure to rain, snow or dew.

 

Crockett & Jones didn't say that you can't wear shell in the rain, nor did they dispute that it's an extremely robust leather, just that they couldn't recommend it as a material for a boot or shoe that was designed to be all-weather due to potential blistering and the maintenance needed to keep them looking smart after getting wet. This was in response to an MTO winter boot query and they effectively lost an £850 sale as they wanted to be completely honest with me.

post #2142 of 8954

I stand by wearing shell in the rain. I think darker colors tend to have more noticeable whitening. It takes all of (literally) six minutes to slightly dampen a rag, wipe them down, and then buff them up with the dry part to bring out as much of a shine as I want. Maybe 5 minutes if you get them while they're still wet from the rain. I think that's pretty good.

post #2143 of 8954

Actually I have an opposite experience with shell.

This year I was wearing my AE shell loafers under the rain storm twice, and both time they got a real deep wash. After a 24h on the trees and intencive brushing they looks like new.

I think that every shoe looks not pleasant when wet, calf or shell doesn't matter, but shell is more easy to revive (imho of course).

post #2144 of 8954
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

what navy shell looks like after a rain storm


i think its ironic that shell is considered to be this rugged, durable, material, able to withstand the elements and yet it actually looks like shit after just a few droplet. wtf?!?

I have about 10 pair of shell shoes but none look as bad after a little rain than the navy blue shell Carminas I have. They are absolutely beautiful when they have been polished but a few drops of rain makes them look like junk.

My other shell shoes don't do that.
post #2145 of 8954
Queen last
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Carmina Shoe P0rn.