or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wearing a tie at work when no one else does
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wearing a tie at work when no one else does - Page 5

post #61 of 77
Originally I was the only one wearing a tie to work. I think all my co-workers began to get jealous of all the "you're so well dressed" comments from our patients and in the last 6 months to a year everyone else in the office has stepped it up a notch.
post #62 of 77

Where I live here in norther Michigan, the hicks tend to roll around in clothing like this at the mall, and pair it with a pair of light blue jeans.

I go out in dress shirts and pants is consider "dressed up," never mind my suit. Basically if you dress minimum business casual is consider "fancy."

I dress well for my age, I know the limitation and where to draw the line. But once awhile I will step an extra step just to be "that guy" on the occasions
post #63 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrhye View Post
Hmm, harms my south american dictator theory. Then again, he could still be a dictator, but owe allegiant to something like SPECTRE.
hmm. I was going to say cartel leader...i guess dictator isn't too far off.
post #64 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
I think I know who Spoo is:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Pfft. What's missing in those pics?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #65 of 77
I just started working at a firm that manufactures electronic assemblies. Nobody wears a tie. But the bosses and Engineers wear polos, slacks, and OCBDs. So it's easy to dress right. It would be wrong to wear a tie in this environment, but I work in the Engineering department so I dress like them. That is, I dress better than them, but I don't dress above them. Looking (and acting) sharp is the way to go. Just don't be pretentious.
post #66 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by myztikal47 View Post
Is this OK to do? I've been working at my new job for about a month and a half, I'm the only one in my "group" which consists of about 10 people that wears a tie. Everyone else wears just dress shirt/pants, even the director. There are other directors on our floors who's groups sit elsewhere and about half of the directors wear ties, half don't. Some of the other groups wear ties, some don't. My director a few weeks ago said to me "whats with the tie, are you trying to make me look bad?" in a joking manner, but I'm not sure if he was being serious or not. I just feel extremely awkward being partially dressed up, the tie completes the look. Anyone have any thoughts?

Just to fit in with you co-workers, only wear a tie 2-3 times per week.
post #67 of 77
I own my own company, so I pretty much wear whatever I want, which is typically a suit or SC w tie 4 of 5 days. Nice change from Wall St when I could almost never wear anything but conservative suits five days a week. Now, if I want to wear a bold SC, no one can reprimand me but me......: )
post #68 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by presence View Post
Just to fit in with you co-workers, only wear a tie 2-3 times per week.

A few people have said this, but I just don't get it. Am I the only one here that thinks that switching to a one-day-on one-day-off strategy seems more offputting than just wearing a tie every day? How does only wearing a tie some days help someone to "fit in" more? If anything, I think that makes it seem much more unusual on the days when you do wear a tie. Not to mention that doing that makes it obvious that you find wearing a tie unusual in the office even though you continue to do it some days for no particular reason.

Rather than this nonsense, I say that if you're going to wear a tie, do it. If you're not going to wear a tie, then don't. But only wearing one a couple days a week for the sole reason of fitting in is just weird in my books. Very level 1 thinking.
post #69 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrhye View Post
You joke because I'm onto it. As far as I'm concerned Spooployment is the mystery to solve these days. You seem to go through expensive new stuff like my cat destroys toilet paper, and your house has a highly unusual number of fountains and gargoyles.

You have plenty of time to post, so you must do something that doesn't keep you busy 8 hours a day. My first guess is some kind of clothes related resale since you seem to have some kind of steady supply that keeps you freshly dressed and with a long B&S list, but you also sell a lot of non-clothing related items in your Ebay listings. Your house is a little too nice for just a guy running a consignment shop though.

So I have no idea and very few clues.

Good

But if it makes you feel better, the pool/gargoyles are the Versace mansion courtyard, not my personal backyard (sadly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post
And yet you aren't refuting their claims...

Nor confirming

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
I think I know who Spoo is:


Strangely enough, I can see the similarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA8324 View Post
hmm. I was going to say cartel leader...i guess dictator isn't too far off.

You guys are ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
Pfft. What's missing in those pics?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Lulzy file name : http://dorkshelf.com......
post #70 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
But if it makes you feel better, the pool/gargoyles are the Versace mansion courtyard, not my personal backyard (sadly).
I'm pretty sure I saw multiple changes of clothes there. Either you're in the courtyard frequently, or you changed clothes on location (which is kinda freaky). Then again, much of the stuff you are pushing on Ebay is Versace. Pieces are coming together, but I'm not ready to finger Ms. Scarlet (*giggity*) and reach for the envelope yet.
post #71 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrhye View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw multiple changes of clothes there. Either you're in the courtyard frequently, or you changed clothes on location (which is kinda freaky). Then again, much of the stuff you are pushing on Ebay is Versace. Pieces are coming together, but I'm not ready to finger Ms. Scarlet (*giggity*) and reach for the envelope yet.

You've outed me. I am Donatella Versace.
post #72 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
Good

But if it makes you feel better, the pool/gargoyles are the Versace mansion courtyard, not my personal backyard (sadly).


AHA! You're Versace household's gardener!
post #73 of 77
I was jokingly criticised by fellow co-workers for wearing a tie when I started my current job mid 2010. They said it looked too formal for a public servant (Are public servants supposed to be informal??). I felt vindicated when the Chief Executive issued an edict informing everyone that the thought dress standards were getting slack and that everyone should follow my example and wear a tie!
post #74 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarhap View Post
I felt vindicated when the Chief Executive issued an edict informing everyone that the thought dress standards were getting slack and that everyone should follow my example and wear a tie!
I bet that made you real popular.
post #75 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhiker View Post
I just started working at a firm that manufactures electronic assemblies. Nobody wears a tie. But the bosses and Engineers wear polos, slacks, and OCBDs. So it's easy to dress right. It would be wrong to wear a tie in this environment, but I work in the Engineering department so I dress like them. That is, I dress better than them, but I don't dress above them. Looking (and acting) sharp is the way to go. Just don't be pretentious.
Don't let anyones, especially the bosses ignorance dictate your enjoyment of life or how you dress. To do so is to willingly enter into communism, fascism, slavery or worse, though I will agree that one shouldn't act pretentiously about it. You are there to work, and the only thing any boss worth working for should be concerned with, is your productivity. You enjoy your clothes and let them enjoy their big houses, cottages, country clubs, expensive jewelry, trophy wives, cars, boats, planes and golden parachutes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wearing a tie at work when no one else does