• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Master's Degrees a racket?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outside of a handful of fields where the Masters is the terminal degree or the industry standard; MBA, MPH, MLS, MSW, MSEE ect. are masters degrees pointless? If you're going to get that masters in creative writing or biochem, shouldn't you just go in and get the doctorate (for free)? What's the point? More debt? Slightly improved career opportunities?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
PhD is for people who want to do research. **** a research.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The master's will grow in importance as educational inflation continues. As more people attend universities and get bachelor's degrees, and as more entry-level jobs such as secretarial work require them, the bachelor's degree will become the new high school diploma and the master's will become the new bachelor's.

At the moment, having a PhD can actually be a liability when it comes to getting hired (many firms will consider you overqualified or too expensive). I suspect this will change, too, as more and more people acquire doctorates even though there are fewer teaching positions than ever before.

Of course, all of these developments are part of the higher education bubble that is bound to burst one day.

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
The master's will grow in importance as educational inflation continues. As more people attend universities and get bachelor's degrees, and as more entry-level jobs such as secretarial work require them, the bachelor's degree will become the new high school diploma and the master's will become the new bachelor's.

At the moment, having a PhD can actually be a liability when it comes to getting hired (many firms will consider you overqualified or too expensive). I suspect this will change, too, as more and more people acquire doctorates even though there are fewer teaching positions than ever before.

Of course, all of these developments are part of the higher education bubble that is bound to burst one day.

Yup, exactly right.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
PhD is for people who want to do research. **** a research.

LOL! I assume you don't have a PhD.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
LOL! I assume you don't have a PhD.
No I don't (currently enrolled for a Masters). My father, (PhD from University of Oxford), always warned me about getting one if my goal was to earn more money, or anything outside of research really.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
People with master's degrees in engineering seem to get snapped up pretty quick by industry

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think a master's will ever hurt you, but it won't necessarily help you either. You have to look at your particular field imo.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I don't think a master's will ever hurt you, but it won't necessarily help you either. You have to look at your particular field imo.
If it doesn't help you then it has necessarily hurt you by taking up to 2 years and anywhere from $10,000-$50,000 to complete.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it doesn't help you then it has necessarily hurt you by taking up to 2 years and anywhere from $10,000-$50,000 to complete.
Plenty of 2 year master's programs are well north of $100K.

enjoiii

Reaction score

Just curious, why will the bubble eventually burst?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enjoiii
Just curious, why will the bubble eventually burst?
Then: Benefits > Cost Now or future: Cost > Benefits

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
People with master's degrees in engineering seem to get snapped up pretty quick by industry

RIF

Originally Posted by gladhands
Outside of a handful of fields where the Masters is the terminal degree or the industry standard; MBA, MPH, MLS, MSW, MSEE ect. are masters degrees pointless?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics