or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Franchising
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Franchising

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Does anyone here have experience with franchising?
I have been looking at lots of good franchises that would do well in my country but I'm looking for the advice of those who have done that.My main problem is i want to take their franchise internationally,which sometimes they are reluctant to do just yet.the other of course is at i don't have experience in the line of business im franchising.for example they want someone in the fast food industry to franchise x fast food company.it's understandable,but i am not an idiot to invest so much money if i wasn't going to hire the right people.can anyone help,has anyone overcome such a thing?
post #2 of 35
Thread Starter 
Smalltimers....
post #3 of 35
1. You must have experience. No one is going to give you a part of their hard earned brand name, plus a shit load of bank loans if you've never even worked in a restaurant. 2. After punctuation marks, there come spaces. Always. 3. Calling members Small timers because they wont spend time pointing out that inexperienced business owners who can't even get hold of a franchise, let alone run it profitably, is not a good way to solicit good advice. The rules companies impose are there for a reason: if they wont sell you a franchise, there is probably a good chance that you shouldn't be sold one. A real businessman overcomes these problems, he doesn't solicit help from the internet.
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post
1. You must have experience. No one is going to give you a part of their hard earned brand name, plus a shit load of bank loans if you've never even worked in a restaurant. 2. After punctuation marks, there come spaces. Always. 3. Calling members Small timers because they wont spend time pointing out that inexperienced business owners who can't even get hold of a franchise, let alone run it profitably, is not a good way to solicit good advice. The rules companies impose are there for a reason: if they wont sell you a franchise, there is probably a good chance that you shouldn't be sold one. A real businessman overcomes these problems, he doesn't solicit help from the internet.
I own a mid-size food company and have considerable knowledge about franchising but I'll leave it at this. +1
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIKETOS View Post
Smalltimers....

Small timers franchise, ballers start companies.

As far as real advice goes though, read the FDD (Franchise Disclosure Document) very carefully. This will spell out your relationship with Corporate.

As far as "overcoming" requirements, good luck on that. They are put in place by Corporate to guard Corporate and make sure franchising is likely to benefit Corporate. Catch the drift?
post #6 of 35
Thread Starter 
Thanx guys,knew that comment would get me something I finally had a breakthrough with a good company so wish me luck. I hope the discussion continues though about what you think some good franchises would be.
post #7 of 35
So you really want to be a sharecropper, do you?
post #8 of 35
I've represented franchisees on numerous occasions; however, they pay me a lot of money for my advice, and would be upset if I gave it away for free on the internet. Having said that, all I can say is that you have to be careful because there are a lot of unexpected potholes along the way.
post #9 of 35
I'm just going to say expect to work a shit ton. You can't just hire people and expect them to do the work for you because you paid them. You need to be there like 5-6 days a week or else they'll start stealing from you.
post #10 of 35
Thread Starter 
I will be there like you said as much as possible, when things start to run smoothly i might assign a manager who has the same training as I have. I will then move on to opening more places, and repeat.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIKETOS View Post
I will be there like you said as much as possible, when things start to run smoothly i might assign a manager who has the same training as I have. I will then move on to opening more places, and repeat.
This is why you shouldn't franchise. You misunderstand both the nature if business and franchises. Don't do it. Lose a bunch of money on a startup before you try franchises.
post #12 of 35
If you don't want your franchise to suck, you'll need to work like a dog.

The place I get coffee in the morning near my work is a franchise and the girl who owns it is there from 5h00am to 4h00am Monday to Friday and sometimes seven days a week if she anticipates a lot of traffic. She has employees but she's usually behind the counter herself. I talk to her a lot and she enjoys having employees (and based on what I've seen and her turnover she treats them exceptionally well) but I you can tell the rest of it is a grind.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIKETOS View Post
Smalltimers....
I don't open franchise locations. I own the brand.
post #14 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post
This is why you shouldn't franchise. You misunderstand both the nature if business and franchises. Don't do it. Lose a bunch of money on a startup before you try franchises.
I already opened a service oriented business and it's doing very well. We will probably expand our team by 100% soon.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIKETOS View Post
I already opened a service oriented business and it's doing very well. We will probably expand our team by 100% soon.

Adding that 2nd employee, I see.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Franchising