or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Would you take a 50% pay cut to pursue your passion?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you take a 50% pay cut to pursue your passion? - Page 4

post #46 of 71
I respect you making the leap - but in all seriousness, how can anyone's life passion be real estate investments?
post #47 of 71
..
post #48 of 71
I believe that if you follow your passion, success will find you (financially and otherwise).
post #49 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I believe that if you follow your passion, success will find you (financially and otherwise).
This is naive. Doing something you like makes you more likely to be successful at it, but it does not follow that professional/financial success will necessarily be achieved. If you are making the argument that "success" is defined as "inner happiness" then perhaps. But not using external benchmarks. It ups the probabilities, but that's about it.
post #50 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
This is naive. Doing something you like makes you more likely to be successful at it, but it does not follow that professional/financial success will necessarily be achieved. If you are making the argument that "success" is defined as "inner happiness" then perhaps. But not using external benchmarks. It ups the probabilities, but that's about it.

I disagree. If you love what you're doing, you'll probably be happier and make more money than if you are doing something you hate.

Conversely, if you hate your job you probably won't be very good at it and will wind up making less money.

Not a hard and fast rule but, generally speaking, I find that it seems to be true.
post #51 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I disagree. If you love what you're doing, you'll probably be happier and make more money than if you are doing something you hate.

Conversely, if you hate your job you probably won't be very good at it and will wind up making less money.

Not a hard and fast rule but, generally speaking, I find that it seems to be true.

This simply is not true. For example: I do not like my job but I make a lot of money. If I switched to a career I liked, and I was *wildly successful*, I would still make less money than I do now.

Like I said in my first reply - you will LIKELY be RELATIVELY more successful within the SAME profession if you "love what you do" vs. "hate what you do". That is about as much as you can say with confidence. The rest is simple bullshit.

So in conclusion:

Regarding financial success, love of job is 90% uncorrelated. It will likely skew you toward financial success within the same job. However your overall income will be 90% tied to your occupation/location/luck, while 10% of it will be tied to how much you love it.

Regarding professional success (i.e. how 'successful' you are within your specific field as deemed by peers in the same field), love of job is probably highly correlated.

Regarding happiness - that is difficult to measure. Doing a job you love is likely to improve your happiness in terms of what you do on a day-to-day basis. However it is possible that switching to a lower-paying, less-socially-respected career will also hinder your ability to provide for your family, provide your children with a top education, have the respect of society, make your wife happy, etc. I am NOT advocating that societal validation should be the primary source of our happiness - but I am also taking the realist/empiricist approach that it usually is a large component of overall happiness. This must be kept in mind when saying that "doing your dream job will make your happier". That is counteracted by other forces when your dream job does not pay big. If your dream job is being a lawyer or a banker, disregard the above. But in that case, you have some other problems to deal with.

There. That should clear up my view.
post #52 of 71
Personally I do best financially when my job is basically tolerable - no particular love or hate for the situation. Makes priorities clear, a job serves to finance lifestyle and assorted goodies and that is it. But not distracted by any driving need to do something different.
post #53 of 71
I'm passionate about making more money which is why I am always open to new opportunities provided the pay is commensurate with the effort I put forth.
post #54 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks View Post
I'm passionate about making more money which is why I am always open to new opportunities provided the pay is commensurate with the effort I put forth.

lol.
post #55 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I disagree. If you love what you're doing, you'll probably be happier and make more money than if you are doing something you hate.

Conversely, if you hate your job you probably won't be very good at it and will wind up making less money.

Not a hard and fast rule but, generally speaking, I find that it seems to be true.

i disagree.

the liklihood of making serious money as public school teacer, clergyman, nurse, zookeeper.... no matter how passionate you are is very low.

however if you decide to be a lawyer, investment banker, trader, businessman.... even if you abhor it, if you are smart in those fields and get good opportunities you can make a killing, a killing. then retire at 55 and spend the rest of your life doing what you love and not worrying about money
post #56 of 71
Would love to answer yes to this question, but I have to say no. The money is just to important I guess. I wish it wasn't that important for me, but I just love to have a bit of financial stability and the money to buy nice things (that I am passionate about).

I basically tolerate my job and I am good at it. Growth potential is there too. Still I only see corporate jobs as finding out what you're good at (what niche) and trying to make some money doing that. I don't love my job though.

If only it would be through that if you would follow your passion, you would eventually do well financially.
post #57 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
This simply is not true. For example: I do not like my job but I make a lot of money. If I switched to a career I liked, and I was *wildly successful*, I would still make less money than I do now. Like I said in my first reply - you will LIKELY be RELATIVELY more successful within the SAME profession if you "love what you do" vs. "hate what you do". That is about as much as you can say with confidence. The rest is simple bullshit. So in conclusion: Regarding financial success, love of job is 90% uncorrelated. It will likely skew you toward financial success within the same job. However your overall income will be 90% tied to your occupation/location/luck, while 10% of it will be tied to how much you love it. Regarding professional success (i.e. how 'successful' you are within your specific field as deemed by peers in the same field), love of job is probably highly correlated. Regarding happiness - that is difficult to measure. Doing a job you love is likely to improve your happiness in terms of what you do on a day-to-day basis. However it is possible that switching to a lower-paying, less-socially-respected career will also hinder your ability to provide for your family, provide your children with a top education, have the respect of society, make your wife happy, etc. I am NOT advocating that societal validation should be the primary source of our happiness - but I am also taking the realist/empiricist approach that it usually is a large component of overall happiness. This must be kept in mind when saying that "doing your dream job will make your happier". That is counteracted by other forces when your dream job does not pay big. If your dream job is being a lawyer or a banker, disregard the above. But in that case, you have some other problems to deal with. There. That should clear up my view.
this also, im not sure whether i should be depressed or buoyed by the fact that every year i learn to love my job a little more (or dislike it a little less). as i get promoted i become more important and being important is nice.
post #58 of 71
I'm planning on doing it. I've always dreamed about living in a fading elegant city in Europe and opening a book shop there. After years of procrastination,family commitments and to be honest, fear, I've decided to take the plunge while I'm still relatively young ( 37 next month ). Better to have tried and to have failed etc.

Anyway,I looked at St.Petersburgh,Moscow,Kiev,Prague,Bucharest etc. but finally decided on Budapest as it's stunning and not overly expensive ( and the women still seem to be impressed by foreigners for some reason ) . I'll go apartment hunting in the Autumn and plan to make the permanent move late next year. I have a comfortable lifestyle here in the UK but I feel I'm surviving more then living if you know what I mean. Second hand bookshops don't make money in the UK so can't imagine how little they make in Eastern Europe but since I will be able to buy a cheap apartment outright I won't have as many overheads as here. Of course the days of being a brand whore will be over but that might not be a bad thing.

Time will tell if I made a mistake or not.
post #59 of 71
my passion is to get a 50% pay raise...
post #60 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post
No, buying stuff is my passion.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post
I think about changing the avatar now and then, but then I realize how stupid that would be and I just leave it alone.

FTFY


Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE View Post
my passion is to get a 50% pay raise...

hahaha fuck that is sooo alpha male.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Would you take a 50% pay cut to pursue your passion?