or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › H&M Suits...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

H&M Suits...

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I'm usually in the habit of buying semi-high quality suits (opinions here my differ... but hey, they look good on me!) like Hugo Boss, but I was noticing some half-decent looking suits the other day during a trip through H&M.

I'm thinking of picking up a few of these for some summer alternatives (cotton khaki, linen, etc.) to my standard wool super 100's, 120's fare... I haven't invested in any other fabrics yet.

The main reason I'm contemplating it is because one, they're cheap. Like $200 or less. And secondly because H&M seems to be very on trend with a lot of the styles, and they actually seem to fit me quite well, besides the arm holes being a little low.

Anyone have any experience, comments or opinions with H&M suits?
post #2 of 22
Junk, but so is most Hugo Boss stuff.
post #3 of 22
Most of it is very fashion forward, and has rack appeal for the people who are into that. The materials and construction are garbage. Make sure not to get any of their polyester suits as well. I would say for a cheap alternative look at J. Crew, or Club Monaco.
post #4 of 22
H&M can't even make a decent sock or a t shirt. I would be surprised if their suits are any better.

BTW I remember they had a collaboration shoe with Jimmy Choo - large chunks of glue and overall crappy quality. I have lost any respect to both of these labels.
post #5 of 22
Most is junk including Hugo Boss, BUT if you do not have a budget for the higher end labels or good bespoke makers, it is useless to ponder over the wonders of suits/jackets/shirts that retail at 10 times your budget. Depending on salaries, even Brooks Brothers lowest 346 line is prohibitively expensive for some folks.

I think most of us here have ridiculously high standards including myself, and that in part owes itself to deals one can get on B&S or having large salaries thanks to professional work.

In truth, and I know I will be deemed spawn of Satan for saying this, the Hugo Boss suits, Jcrew, HM and all the rest of the basement level labels are fine. The average person will not notice, and in fact, many people consider Hugo Boss a luxury clothing brand when they are obviously anything but.

If you can only afford Hugo Boss suits at $250 - $300 after discounts, buy them and like them. Same goes for HM. Just make sure you get at very least a wool blend suit (even if it is wool / poly blend).
post #6 of 22
Depending on colour there are some alternatives at BB if you are willing to wait for a sale and you find a fit you like. You can pick up a sport coat in the $200 to $300 range.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post
Most is junk including Hugo Boss, BUT if you do not have a budget for the higher end labels or good bespoke makers, it is useless to ponder over the wonders of suits/jackets/shirts that retail at 10 times your budget. Depending on salaries, even Brooks Brothers lowest 346 line is prohibitively expensive for some folks.

I think most of us here have ridiculously high standards including myself, and that in part owes itself to deals one can get on B&S or having large salaries thanks to professional work.

In truth, and I know I will be deemed spawn of Satan for saying this, the Hugo Boss suits, Jcrew, HM and all the rest of the basement level labels are fine. The average person will not notice, and in fact, many people consider Hugo Boss a luxury clothing brand when they are obviously anything but.

If you can only afford Hugo Boss suits at $250 - $300 after discounts, buy them and like them. Same goes for HM. Just make sure you get at very least a wool blend suit (even if it is wool / poly blend).

I agree with everything except for that HB really sucks - I had a suit, a windbreaker, a polo, and a chukka from HB. Except for the windbreaker EVERYTHING became a piece of turd very soon. Dont buy from HB no matter is your budget.
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the feedback. I know the opinion on Hugo Boss here on the forum as I've lurked for quite a while. I just like the fit, and they stay in my budget of sub $800. I've never had anything but complements.

I'm looking at these as potential throw-aways if my taste changes, or I end up just not fitting them into my rotation.

$110 for a half lined (poly), 100% cotton khaki colored jacket, and $69 for the matching pants is a pretty sweet deal if you're merely dabbling with the idea of trying that style out.

At least that's my opinion.

One day I'll be looking at purely bespoke (as my dress shirts are all MTM) for my suits, or OTR like Canali, but for now, I'll have to stay content with Hugo Boss and the like.
post #9 of 22
I actually like H&M; their stuff is slim fit and fashion-foward-- although their sizing can be very inconsistent from one style to the next. I say if it fits well and you want to try out the style, go for it here and then if it's something you decide you really like you can always get a better suit later on. H&M is fashion training wheels for a lot of people, including myself.

And yes, the quality isn't great, but the price is low and if it only lasts a season or two, so be it.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaule View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I know the opinion on Hugo Boss here on the forum as I've lurked for quite a while. I just like the fit, and they stay in my budget of sub $800. I've never had anything but complements.

I'm looking at these as potential throw-aways if my taste changes, or I end up just not fitting them into my rotation.

$110 for a half lined (poly), 100% cotton khaki colored jacket, and $69 for the matching pants is a pretty sweet deal if you're merely dabbling with the idea of trying that style out.

At least that's my opinion.

One day I'll be looking at purely bespoke (as my dress shirts are all MTM) for my suits, or OTR like Canali, but for now, I'll have to stay content with Hugo Boss and the like.

So what was the point of asking?
Thank you for wasting my time.
PS sub800 can get you even NWT RRL suit here on BS.
post #11 of 22
Apparently it can get you a NWT Canali as well.
post #12 of 22
Not exactly related, but I was looking for a nice 'party blazer' last Christmas.. something that would look good with a pair of BR trousers and a white shirt.

Walked in to H&M and saw a very nice dark brown jacket. Just casual enough that it could be worn with jeans, yet formal enough to go with pretty much anything (ie. the pocket square that went with it on New Years)

Nice topstiching on the lapel, proper length jacket and two rear vents.

I'm sure it's not the best quality, but I have worn it 10 times already and have had it dry cleaned once. Still looks like new.

Can't beat the price of $69 Canadian. I wish I picked up the navy one at the time, because now they are sold of out of the jacket entirely!

If I was planning to wear a suit from there "semi-regularly" and not in a usual rotation (ie. you plan to wear it no more than once a month), I would suspect you'll get your money's worth. Before it wears out, it will likely go out of style (*assuming you are buying a slightly trendy style and not something that is timeless. Obviously timeless won't go out of style, but this is H&M we are talking about so I assume you are looking for a bit trendy)
post #13 of 22

Interesting discussion. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Most of it is very fashion forward, and has rack appeal for the people who are into that. The materials and construction are garbage. Make sure not to get any of their polyester suits as well. I would say for a cheap alternative look at J. Crew, or Club Monaco.

What of "cheap" price range is J. Crew / Club Monaco? Especially, if somone wants to get a cotton/khaki/ linen type summer suit? 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmeyer View Post

I actually like H&M; their stuff is slim fit and fashion-foward-- although their sizing can be very inconsistent from one style to the next. I say if it fits well and you want to try out the style, go for it here and then if it's something you decide you really like you can always get a better suit later on. H&M is fashion training wheels for a lot of people, including myself.

And yes, the quality isn't great, but the price is low and if it only lasts a season or two, so be it.

I am guessing H&M can serve its purpose for something thats not long term. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post

Depending on colour there are some alternatives at BB if you are willing to wait for a sale and you find a fit you like. You can pick up a sport coat in the $200 to $300 range.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

I guess these would last better than H&M. The 99$ & less price tag of some jackets is just great at H&M for a short term investment. 

post #14 of 22
The problem with H&M suits is that they're really, really short. Otherwise I do like the cut and the quality for the price is decent as long as you steer away from the polyester stuff.

Personally I haven't found better fitting off the rack shirts than H&M and the quality has been more than sufficient and they've lasted well. I also like that their shirts tend to have a bit smaller collars than something from Charles Tyrwhitt for example. H&M also sometimes has interesting fabric patterns that you don't see in the more conservative stuff.
post #15 of 22
i have a linen suit i got from H&M...shitty quality, but i knew full well i wasnt buying a quality suit. if it fits well, buy it. I actually like the way it looks on me. shog[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › H&M Suits...