or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › B.Nelson does a great job
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

B.Nelson does a great job - Page 6

post #76 of 375
That's correct!
post #77 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubu View Post

If I am understanding his post correctly, I believe he applied the topy to protect the leather, as they were new shoes and not a re-sole job.

ah, ok. imo, good leather soles are not in need of protection with rubber. each to his own.
post #78 of 375
I put topys on my AE strands before wearing them. This was primarily done because I was planning on wearing the shoes to work. I work in a hotel so the floors can be wet esp. when I walk through the kitchen. I did my research and found leather doesn't match up well with water so I got the topy. Now, I rarely wear the shoes and regret putting topys on b/c it voids the warranty with AE. I wonder if topys hold up better in the streets or if leather does...
post #79 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Just picked up. The bevelled soles and channeling looks amazing. I love the vintagey look they get. Couldn't be happier.
8289bd13.jpg


NICE
post #80 of 375
What are the benefits of the JR sole over the standard sole?
post #81 of 375
I think it was said earlier in this thread that the JR sole may be better than some OEM soles.
post #82 of 375
Jr sole is only available in NYC though right?
post #83 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

I think it was said earlier in this thread that the JR sole may be better than some OEM soles.

Better than most. They're one of very few top end sole leathers made these days.
post #84 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post

I put topys on my AE strands before wearing them. This was primarily done because I was planning on wearing the shoes to work. I work in a hotel so the floors can be wet esp. when I walk through the kitchen. I did my research and found leather doesn't match up well with water so I got the topy. Now, I rarely wear the shoes and regret putting topys on b/c it voids the warranty with AE. I wonder if topys hold up better in the streets or if leather does...

One of my younger brothers said something to me years ago in relation to cars (that I think holds true with leather soled shoes) that had a profound effect:

You ride her hard. If something breaks, you know what you need to fix. No need in driving cautiously for fear something will go wrong. Because in the worst possible moment, it will go wrong.

Wear your leather soled shoes until they give up. Then send them in for repair. Applying a topy may exacerbate issues that may not come about by wearing the shoe as it was meant to be worn. Of course, I'm not talking about trekking thru snow/rain with EGs. But you get the point. Those of you who don't, well, I don't know what else to say.
post #85 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post

I put topys on my AE strands before wearing them. This was primarily done because I was planning on wearing the shoes to work. I work in a hotel so the floors can be wet esp. when I walk through the kitchen. I did my research and found leather doesn't match up well with water so I got the topy. Now, I rarely wear the shoes and regret putting topys on b/c it voids the warranty with AE. I wonder if topys hold up better in the streets or if leather does...

That doesn't seem right to me. Couldn't you always get them taken off before sending them to AE and they wouldn't know the difference unless the topy actually leaves something or if there is a negative effect from the Topy.
post #86 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Better than most. They're one of very few top end sole leathers made these days.

Their web site will answer most of your questions:
http://www.lederfabrik-rendenbach.de/1/company-profile/history/
post #87 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post

I put topys on my AE strands before wearing them. This was primarily done because I was planning on wearing the shoes to work. I work in a hotel so the floors can be wet esp. when I walk through the kitchen. I did my research and found leather doesn't match up well with water so I got the topy. Now, I rarely wear the shoes and regret putting topys on b/c it voids the warranty with AE. I wonder if topys hold up better in the streets or if leather does...

That doesn't seem right to me. Couldn't you always get them taken off before sending them to AE and they wouldn't know the difference unless the topy actually leaves something or if there is a negative effect from the Topy.
Actually, as far as I can tell they somehow cut off the bottom of the leather sole and replace it with the toppy/rubber. I'll take a picture and post it later this week.
post #88 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

One of my younger brothers said something to me years ago in relation to cars (that I think holds true with leather soled shoes) that had a profound effect:
You ride her hard. If something breaks, you know what you need to fix. No need in driving cautiously for fear something will go wrong. Because in the worst possible moment, it will go wrong.
Wear your leather soled shoes until they give up. Then send them in for repair. Applying a topy may exacerbate issues that may not come about by wearing the shoe as it was meant to be worn. Of course, I'm not talking about trekking thru snow/rain with EGs. But you get the point. Those of you who don't, well, I don't know what else to say.

Don't say anything else.... all the above is bullshit enough for one post.
post #89 of 375
bringing a pair of C&J handgrades over for a resole today. Planning on J&R with metal toe taps. I'm bummed that the I'll lose the bevelled waist because I can't justify paying for the exrta work.
post #90 of 375
I need to bring in yet a third pair in the last two months for a resole. Damn, shoes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › B.Nelson does a great job