or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › B.Nelson does a great job
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

B.Nelson does a great job - Page 25

post #361 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post


Jk, those uppers look excellent.

How many wears would you say before you wore out the sole? Just shows how long a good shoe can last. Just has to be resoled.

 

Thanks - actually those were only about 13 months old when they went in for re-sole.  They are the shoes I am hardest on, though.  I'd say I averaged 2 wears per week over that year+, and I'm not above a 5 mile walk through Manhattan in them on a nice day.  I don't baby any of my shoes (but I do give them the best care available).

post #362 of 375
Just got a pair of shoes back from Nick, G&G Westbury. I will post pictures later.
post #363 of 375
Has anyone resoled a shoe so many times that they can't be resoled anymore? Do you recall how many times it was before that was the case?

If it's true that you can only resole a shoe so many times, it makes a great argument for Topys.
post #364 of 375
I have some Wolverine 1000 mile Courtlands that I'd like to get a softer sole put on and think I will send them to BNelson to get resoled. I was wondering if anyone has made the conversion from leather to rubber or crepe on boots they owned? I am thinking of these soles - Vibram #1743 Bologna sole, the Vibram Bettula, and I also like the Goodyear minilug on the Aldens 1272 model but can't find the number or name of those soles to reference. Any suggestions and pictures of your resoles always welcome. Have a great weekend everyone. DuckOB
post #365 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Has anyone resoled a shoe so many times that they can't be resoled anymore? Do you recall how many times it was before that was the case?

If it's true that you can only resole a shoe so many times, it makes a great argument for Topys.
Topy or not is irrelevant. The only thing that would prevent a shoe from not being able to be resoled is if the insole wore out, or if where the upper is stretched over the insole cracked at that joint. Even then Nick might be able to do something about it albeit a cost associated with it. Mind you, Nick can replace welts, he's done it for me.
post #366 of 375
I think that dainite soles have a role in city shoes. I like them for wearing on concrete and I think they last longer than leather soles if you plan to wear them in all-weather. I think leather soles wear out quicker when they are wet.
post #367 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Topy or not is irrelevant. The only thing that would prevent a shoe from not being able to be resoled is if the insole wore out, or if where the upper is stretched over the insole cracked at that joint. Even then Nick might be able to do something about it albeit a cost associated with it. Mind you, Nick can replace welts, he's done it for me.

What I meant with the Topy is that it really extends the life of the shoe if you can only resole a shoe so many times, than you're better off going with a Topy which needs to be replaced less often than a leather sole. I've read that you can only resole a shoe 4 or 5 times before they can no longer be resoled. I'm assuming it is the latter problem with the upper cracking where they are stitched to the welt. Maybe this is only an issue when the welt is replaced every time too, but that doesn't seem like it is done with most resoles.
post #368 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Did you honestly think anyone but Viberg could recreate that welt?

Yes, because I was told it could be done by Nick.
post #369 of 375
Has anyone from Canada used B Nelson? I'm thinking about shipping costs etc.
post #370 of 375
Has anyone put flush mount taps on a pair of alden lwb? I have them on a few pairs but not sure if it would be necessary since they are double leather sole
post #371 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn View Post

Has anyone put flush mount taps on a pair of alden lwb? I have them on a few pairs but not sure if it would be necessary since they are double leather sole

Yes because I was wearing on the toe faster than I was comfortable with. I can post pictures later if it would be helpful.
post #372 of 375
I bought a pair of black AE McTavishes off the Bay in which the previous owner's foot imprint was very uncomfortable. As the soles were kind of squishy already, I sent them into B Nelson to put red Dainite soles on them with antique edges. I figured if I was going to spend the money to resole them, I might as well spend a couple extra bucks to make them rainy day shoes and have them last longer than standard leather or JR soles. Nick did a great job releveling the insole for me so the previous owner's imprint was mostly gone. After a couple of wears out in town, I can feel my new imprint in the shoe, and it is super comfortable to wear. Even in wet conditions, I've had no issue with slipping with the Dainite soles, and they feel similar to leather soles in terms of comfort. Nothing but praise for B. Nelson!
post #373 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimney View Post

Yes because I was wearing on the toe faster than I was comfortable with. I can post pictures later if it would be helpful.

That would be great. Thanks
post #374 of 375
Just received my C&J Sommervilles back from Nick.


post #375 of 375
Bumping this for a class act. Nick takes better care of my shoes than I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post


Quote:


Originally Posted by tgt465 View Post

From the customer side, Topys are easier and cheaper to replace than soles.


From the cobbler side, Topys yield more profit.





That's not the way I run my shop. Fortunately, we stay busy enough that I don't need to use this approach.


Just as I do, the customer works hard for their money. I don't feel that have the right to advise them for my gain. Rather, my value to them is to advise them on what's best for their particular situation.


Many that have dealt with me know that I often talk them out of something that would have netted me a higher gain because it's not necessary or, not good for the shoe.


Here are some examples.

All cobblers know that the profit margin is greater on half soles than full soles. For that reason they prefer doing half soles. In fact, I have been ridiculed and called stupid by people in the industry for insisting on doing full soles rather than half on high-grades. When I ask them what they put on their "own" shoes they tell me full. What's that tell ya?

When a customer comes in with a pair of AS's, Lobbs, AE's, Green's, Aldens or, any other high-grade and requests a half sole I'd rather send them down the block than do the job and I explain why. For those "in the know" half soles disrupt the integrity of a well made shoe. So the question is profit or, doing the right job? A true tradesman in any industry would prefer maybe insist on doing the right job. By taking this approach, they also know that profits will follow.

Another example is, often customers will request JR soles and sole guards. Even though I would make more money I advise against it. I explain, if you are going to use a sole guard there will be virtually no wear on the leather. So why spend the extra money for JR? Use our standard super-prime grade leather and add the sole guard. This way, when the sole guard wears out, just replace it. Net, net the customer gets twice the wear for the same money. Who gains? In my view both parties. The customer saved money, he's happy about that and appreciates your honesty. No doubt he will return and it's likely he will refer his friends.


Bottom line is, some view things as profit first. I consider them as "hunters" that take advantage. We have all been in that situation. Nobody likes the outcome dealing with that sort of mentality.

Others see it as integrity first, profits follow. A true tradesman in any field, sees a naive or knowledgeable customer and does their best to help them.

There are plenty of true tradesmen out there, you just got to find them. When you do, you can bet they'll watch your back and, become your friend.


Thanks to all for your kind comments.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › B.Nelson does a great job