• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art of Manliness - How to match a tie..

wizard7926

Reaction score
Love it. As a colorblind individual, pages like this are invaluable.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It makes a positive mention of image consultants and is loaded with good info, but there is at least one significant problem.
Men with light colored hair and fair skin have low contrast and should stick with pastel and monochromatic color combinations
No, that's a common falsehood about businesswear that diminishes authoritativeness in many men. While, for example, a black suit, white shirt, and dark tie on a fair-skinned blonde probably will look lousy; on that man a charcoal gray suit with a white shirt and mid-blue tie is a perfectly acceptable color combination.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
It makes a positive mention of image consultants and is loaded with good info, but there is at least one significant problem.

No, that's a common falsehood about businesswear that diminishes authoritativeness in many men. While, for example, a black suit, white shirt, and dark tie on a fair-skinned blonde probably will look lousy; on that man a charcoal gray suit with a white shirt and mid-blue tie is a perfectly acceptable color combination.

I have always been confused by the general rules regarding clothing color, skin complexion and hair color. Why does your first example not work and your second work? I am not saying you are wrong, I am just wondering how you arrive at your conclusions. Thanks.

gwolf

Reaction score
While, for example, a black suit, white shirt, and dark tie on a fair-skinned blonde probably will look lousy
meet-joe-black-474077l.jpg
I have always been confused by the general rules regarding clothing color, skin complexion and hair color.
safe approach: wear the classic colors whether or not it suits your complexion and you'll be fine.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Actually I think that picture proves the point. Brad's good-looking, of course, but he's not looking his best in that rig.

The advice about pastel or monochromatic is too extreme, but it is true that guys with low-contrast complexions are better off in slightly muted, low-contrast color combinations--hence charcoal or grayed navy rather than black or midnight navy. Brad would look better in a charcoal jacket.

Deathsnapper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurt N
Actually I think that picture proves the point. Brad's good-looking, of course, but he's not looking his best in that rig.

The advice about pastel or monochromatic is too extreme, but it is true that guys with low-contrast complexions are better off in slightly muted, low-contrast color combinations--hence charcoal or grayed navy rather than black or midnight navy. Brad would look better in a charcoal jacket.

I absolutely agree that charcoal would look better in that shot. To be fair, though, he does show some reasonable contrast in that picture (hair to face (both bleached strands vs. face as well as darker roots vs. face), at least compared to some people. Still low contrast, but I would consider it toward the upper end of "low contrast". The pastel/monochrome suggestion, I believe, applies more to people with truly minimal contrast.

There is a degree of variance, for sure, along with certain exceptions, but in general contrasting your jacket, shirt, tie, and so on to reflect the natural contrast in hair, skin, and eyes can give a fairly safe guideline. To some extent, anyway.

Plus, being attractive in general tends to make these types of rules less important.

Originally Posted by HarleyBob
I have always been confused by the general rules regarding clothing color, skin complexion and hair color. Why does your first example not work and your second work? I am not saying you are wrong, I am just wondering how you arrive at your conclusions. Thanks.

One important reason contrast is chosen this way is typically to make the suit/tie guide viewing eyes up toward your face. Too heavy or too light a contrast tends to leave people staring at the clothing, not the clothed. Another reason (and don't underestimate how much this second reason helps drive the first) is the accentuate the face. To make certain colors stand out, and others fade back.

There are other reasons, but those two in particular are quite important.
Again, though, there's plenty of variance in the actual contrast between shades, along exceptions to the rules as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads