or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Race, Ethnicity, style forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Race, Ethnicity, style forum - Page 6

post #76 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by somatoform View Post
There was a very nice moment in recent Korean history (circa 2006/2007) when Hines Ward (whose team recently won and he got MVP) went there on behalf of the Pearl Buck association in support of Amerasian children and the discrimination they suffer (especially African American ones). There was some good internal debating going on there (why are Koreans so enamored by Hines Ward and proud of him even though they despise everything he phsysically stands for? What would have become of Hines Ward if he had remained in Korea?, etc.). Some good questions and collective soul searching. The best, however, was Hines Ward's Korean mother who, if you were to really reduce everything she said to the most blunt statement, basically said, "screw you, you hypocrites. You gave me nothing but grief when I was trying to raise this kid here". Nevertheless, it was a good debate that played out in the local papers.
I remember one of the few korean friends I have telling me about that. Basically, the only way for a "happa" to gain acceptance in Korean culture is to be some sort of superstar. Like, a pop singer, or a world-class athlete. Otherwise, you're trash. Apparently there's some sort of reconcilliation going on in Korea regarding hapas, but due to the insular nature of Los Angeles (surrounded by Mexicans, Blacks, and Whites), it hasn't quite made it over here yet, and thus the current climate. I've actually had 2 Koreans quit talking to me and walk away as soon as I said I was half Korean once. Seriously. "Are you half-japanese?" "I'm half-Korean, actually---" <turned around and walked off> Once at a convenience store: Storeowner: "Are you half-japanese?" Me: "I'm half-Korean.." Storeowner: "Oh......................<weird look> That is..very.........................................Unusual."
post #77 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel View Post
I remember one of the few korean friends I have telling me about that. Basically, the only way for a "happa" to gain acceptance in Korean culture is to be some sort of superstar. Like, a pop singer, or a world-class athlete. Otherwise, you're trash. Apparently there's some sort of reconcilliation going on in Korea regarding hapas, but due to the insular nature of Los Angeles (surrounded by Mexicans, Blacks, and Whites), it hasn't quite made it over here yet, and thus the current climate. I've actually had 2 Koreans quit talking to me and walk away as soon as I said I was half Korean once. Seriously.
"Are you half-japanese?"
"I'm half-Korean, actually---"
<turned around and walked off>

Once at a convenience store:
Storeowner: "Are you half-japanese?"
Me: "I'm half-Korean.."
Storeowner: "Oh......................<weird look> That is..very.........................................Unusual."

^ Didn't know it's such a big problem for happa Korean kids!
Funny my Korean friends never told me about this.

Growing up I had some half-east/SE Asian, half-Aussie friends - AFAIK they never had such problems.
post #78 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecch View Post
^ Didn't know it's such a big problem for happa Korean kids! Funny my Korean friends never told me about this. Growing up I had some half-east/SE Asian, half-Aussie friends - AFAIK they never had such problems.
I never had these problems in Memphis, TN, either. :/ To have it happen, at age 34, no less, in Los Angeles literally left me speechless the first few times I encountered it. I mean, I had the typical redneck "You sum kinda jap or chink?" bullshit occasionally, but that's just Southern redneck bullshit.
post #79 of 210
^ Would have thought people in LA would be a little more worldly/tolerant?

Can't imagine what it must be like to grow up with all that unwarranted hate - must be tough on those kids.
post #80 of 210
i mean i cant dispute your own personal experiences but thats news to me. i have tons of half korean friends and even more kyopo's (korean kids raised in the states). thats craziness and terrible

maybe it is peculiar to ktown, LA because all of the large korean communities on the east coast like ny/nj, hotlanta, and nova dont espouse that view
post #81 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
i am from laguna niguel in southern california but i currently live/work in slc utah and i hate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
mom is italian and dad is irish.
I apologize for my outburst earlier....but this really drove me up the fucking wall!! I know my ethnic group. I can spot a fellow Jew from 50 miles away. And we come in all different classes and nationalities. some of us, fuck who am I kidding, a few of us, are civilized, worldly people....the rest of us are low-class, butt-ugly, greedy, cheap-ass, low-class fucktards! And whatever123 is a PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE VERY WORST of world Jewry. Only someone like him would horde Yuketens and hawk 'em on Styleforum, and then bash Quoddy for making a more expensive, albeit superior quality, product...and praise Oak Street Bootmakers because it's SO FUCKING DAMN CHEAP!!!!!!!!! And then look down on someone else for shopping at Holt Renfrew Last Call...while secretly buying from there using proxies....so fucking cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His idea of insulting me is to claim he works at Goldman Sachs! Fuck me, fellow Hebe, do you think this is the fucking temple for me to feel inferior to you and to think Wow! you work at Goldman! you're soooo cool! His idea of putting me down is to claim he got a bonus yesterday from Goldman Sachs. Who fucking gives a shit! Again, only CHEAP ASS JEWS use money (or claiming to get money when others did not) to put someone else down. Not just cheap ass jews, but the absolute low-life trash that live in the slummy areas of Brooklyn or Jersey. Which brings me to what really sent my blood pressure up the fucking wazoo, and no it wasn't too much pastrami: Claiming to be from Laguna Niguel--a very nice area in the Orange County (OC). This is every Jew's dream-- to have been blessed by the Almighty to have been born a blond, blue-eyed Adonis in Los Angeles....nay, in BEVERLY HILLS!!! Rich, good-looking, stylish....what every fucking Jew is NOT! Now, if whatever123 had claimed he was from BEverly hills like in his fantasy, that would have been too much--so he claims to be from Laguna Niguel! And Italian/Irish....to have that Roman Nose and charming alcohol tolerance, instead of a hook-shaped proboscis the size of fucking Kilimanjaro, and being the most uptight fucked up race on Earth!! No, I am not a self-hating Jew. I just know my own ethnic group and the serious problems we have. We're not perfect, hell, we're a pretty fucked up lot. That's why our history was, and is, totally fucked!! And I can spot a lowlife Jew from 50 miles away. And whatever123 is such a person.
post #82 of 210
and what the fuck is with all the Korean self-hatred on this board. I live in Toronto, and you guys are all over here...and I love the Korean barbecue, and the BekSeJu and the SoJu....
post #83 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.Z. View Post
I apologize for my outburst earlier....but this really drove me up the fucking wall!! I know my ethnic group. I can spot a fellow Jew from 50 miles away. And we come in all different classes and nationalities. some of us, fuck who am I kidding, a few of us, are civilized, worldly people....the rest of us are low-class, butt-ugly, greedy, cheap-ass, low-class fucktards! And whatever123 is a PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE VERY WORST of world Jewry. Only someone like him would horde Yuketens and hawk 'em on Styleforum, and then bash Quoddy for making a more expensive, albeit superior quality, product...and praise Oak Street Bootmakers because it's SO FUCKING DAMN CHEAP!!!!!!!!! And then look down on someone else for shopping at Holt Renfrew Last Call...while secretly buying from there using proxies....so fucking cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His idea of insulting me is to claim he works at Goldman Sachs! Fuck me, fellow Hebe, do you think this is the fucking temple for me to feel inferior to you and to think Wow! you work at Goldman! you're soooo cool! His idea of putting me down is to claim he got a bonus yesterday from Goldman Sachs. Who fucking gives a shit! Again, only CHEAP ASS JEWS use money (or claiming to get money when others did not) to put someone else down. Not just cheap ass jews, but the absolute low-life trash that live in the slummy areas of Brooklyn or Jersey. Which brings me to what really sent my blood pressure up the fucking wazoo, and no it wasn't too much pastrami: Claiming to be from Laguna Niguel--a very nice area in the Orange County (OC). This is every Jew's dream-- to have been blessed by the Almighty to have been born a blond, blue-eyed Adonis in Los Angeles....nay, in BEVERLY HILLS!!! Rich, good-looking, stylish....what every fucking Jew is NOT! Now, if whatever123 had claimed he was from BEverly hills like in his fantasy, that would have been too much--so he claims to be from Laguna Niguel! And Italian/Irish....to have that Roman Nose and charming alcohol tolerance, instead of a hook-shaped proboscis the size of fucking Kilimanjaro, and being the most uptight fucked up race on Earth!! No, I am not a self-hating Jew. I just know my own ethnic group and the serious problems we have. We're not perfect, hell, we're a pretty fucked up lot. That's why our history was, and is, totally fucked!! And I can spot a lowlife Jew from 50 miles away. And whatever123 is such a person.
so like ... does this mean you wont pm me anymore?
post #84 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
so like ... does this mean you wont pm me anymore?
dude...is it my fault that they botched your bris milah? Now repeat after me: "Quoddy rules! Quoddy rules!"
post #85 of 210
And some people wonder why there isn't world peace.....

and me.. first generation immigrant from the Shadow Nation of the Netherlands (to Canada)... Although I could be a Sedin Twin.... (google it)
post #86 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.Z. View Post
dude...is it my fault that they botched your bris milah? Now repeat after me: "Quoddy rules! Quoddy rules!"
no can do.
post #87 of 210
@ALZ Didn't your mommy tell you never trust strangers? On topic, I'm Aryan as fuck and still looking for Atlantis. There's a saying: If you're white you're alright
post #88 of 210
Wow, great threak guy. I think some dude just managed to make whatever123 look good, an event previously thought to be impossible.
post #89 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
btw, it was an excellent bonus ... i get another one in nov/dec. ill let you know about that one too.

you need to get over the fact you did not get the job at gs or find a doctor or something.

how much was it? you're my hero.
post #90 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
Wow, great threak guy. I think some dude just managed to make whatever123 look good, an event previously thought to be impossible.

Now look here, my good man:

Whatever123 is Jewish, OK? You can let him get away with anything....but not escape his own heritage.

He is stuck in the mud with the rest of us. And wallowing herein, he will remain....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Race, Ethnicity, style forum