• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sulka

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone have info on Sulka? I bought a bunch of braces to sell on ebay thinking they were all Trafalgars (which people seem to collect/value) and it turns out a couple of them are by Sulka. They are really nice and seem to be made identically to the Trafalgars, but I can't find any info on them on the web. Anyone know where to find their website or anything? I think they are based in France. Thanks-

j.

thc

Reaction score
Sulka was started by Amos Sulka in the early 20th century and is now known for traditional and very expensive menswear. Sulka is quality stuff. At one point Sulka had stores in San Francisco, New York, London & Paris. However the conglomerate which owns Sulka, The Richemont Group, decided to shut down Sulka earlier this year due to changing tastes and lowered demand for the type of clothing it produced. There was an article about Sulka's closing in the NY Times--if I find it, I'll provide the link.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I found the article you're talking about. It looks as if the two pairs by Sulka were made by Trafalgar's manufacturer as all that is different is the main fabric and the tag. Did they close the whole company down, or just the US branch?

thc

Reaction score
They've shut down the whole company for now. Who knows? Maybe they'll bring it back since Richemont still owns the rights to it.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
They closed Sulka down??? Bummer- they used to do Bond movies, and Joe Kennedy the elder gave Sulka ties to his most valued business associates as gifts.

Another manifestation of the Kennedy curse?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Wow - I didn't know they had shut down. I guess I'll have to dig out that Sulka tie I bought about 10 years ago. It might be a collectors item. Sure hope my wife didn't give it to the Junior League Rummage Sale
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My Sulka braces went for $50 and $30ish on ebay, and I found one more pair to sell. They will be up soon, if anyone wants to 'collect' them.
smile.gif

L.Soam

Reaction score
Hi There...well it seems as though we have one big thing in common! I bought a SULKA tie on e-bay not too long ago, impeccable quality...really not your average find, and I was wondering where I can find more of them!? Is there a shop that sells the garments, also are there many other garments made by SULKA?? Lets just say, it took one tie to make me a custodian - now the question is, how to keep this newly found addiction satisfied?? Please if anyone has any info, it would be highly appreciated!

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still have some Sulka formal shirts left. they are a bit yellowed from age. but for $25 they are worth the effort to use oxyclean and whiten them.
Not sure what sizes are left.
send a PM if interested.
they are 3/4" pleats some wing collar some lay down collar. standard fit. not slim

Carl

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in the Housing Works in Brooklyn Heights last weekend and they had a sulka tie in pretty good shape for about $25 (I know, NYC thrift prices
frown.gif
) Anyway, might be worth a look if you dont mind the price, really like sulka, and are somewhere in NYC. I didnt got through the whole tie section, they could have had more. There was also an hermes tie for $60.

There's a great scene in Bugsy where Warren Beatty shoots someone over some Sulka shirts.

s4usea

Reaction score
I inherited two Sulka suits that my grandfather had made decades ago, and they've held up quite nicely.

Since getting them I run a daily search on Sulka in eBay and ties turn up all the time.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a small collection of Sulka ties, and they are wonderful. They had some beautiful and unusual patterns over the years made with fine silks and sturdy construction. Here is a pic (eBay seller's) of one I just got two days ago:

L.Soam

Reaction score
Thanks for all the handy advice! I was wondering wher I could find new and not used Sulka items...PLEASE can anyone point me in the right direction?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, Sulka is out of business, so anything "new" will be deadstock.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics