Originally Posted by Klobber
Although I do wear black suits (usually if out in the evening and require the use of a suit), I dont quite understand the general loathing for black. There are some here that even hate black shoes.
While it commonly accepted that black anything (apart from shoes perhaps) is bad juju in 99% of occasions, where does this hate come from? Do you all equally hate Black Cars? Black Laptops? Black Bags? Dark sunglasses? Black wristbands? Black TV screen?
The consensus is that black = bad, but where does this arise from? Superstitious victorians? Some old hag hated black, now we hate black? Furthermore, any particular scientific or logical reason why black is bad?
1. Black is the traditional colour of mourning.
2. Black is worn by certain professions - lawyers, priests, undertakers.
3. It hardly goes with anything and is a severe absence of colour.
4. Evening wear is black because it is worn after dark. A normal suit is supposed to be worn largely in the daytime.
5. The 'all black' is worn by teenagers at proms. Therefore it is not appropriate for any grown man.