or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hong Kong - Bespoke WW Chan or Load up OTR Brioni, Belvests, and Canali's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hong Kong - Bespoke WW Chan or Load up OTR Brioni, Belvests, and Canali's

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
Moving to Hong Kong in a week.

Currently in the midst of hording a full spectrum of material goodies (from sunglasses to massage chairs to hair-gel). Now I understand that I'm not being exiled to Kazakhstan or North Korea but frankly nothing quite beat the comforts of certainty. A morsel of familiarity perhaps.

Unfortunately as my movers are coming in three days and I have to make one final decisions: Should I load up on suits and sport coats that I know for a fact I like from stores I am comfortable with? Or do I go out of my comfort zone and have a try at the various tailors in Hong Kong? What experiences do you guys have in terms of a quality comparison between bespoke suits from Hong Kong and what you typically see at Neiman Marcus and Saks?

Your input is much appreciated
post #2 of 37
I'm Moving To Hawaii: Should I Buy Pineapples To Bring With Me?
post #3 of 37
Thread Starter 
You jest - but I'm pretty sure luxury goods in Hong Kong are typically retailed at full/above US MSRP (that is assuming you even find what you're looking for)
post #4 of 37
If you can afford OTR Brioni suits then you will have no problem getting suits from any tailor for that matter.
post #5 of 37
Thread Starter 
Right - but I'm thinking quality vs value. Just because you can have suits made for under 2k doesn't necessarily make it better right? Or am I missing something
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohnistun View Post
You jest - but I'm pretty sure luxury goods in Hong Kong are typically retailed at full/above US MSRP (that is assuming you even find what you're looking for)

Pricing isn't quite as good as USA, however, selection of Canali, Brioni, Kiton, zegna etc., far exceeds anything short of NYC. The place is a designer shopping Mecca. They have at least two Zegna stores in the airport alone. There are no shortages of designers you are familiar with. The malls are wall to wall luxury brands.

Chan and others provide bespoke service that is also world class.

Save your money till you are there and then have some fun exploring the city shopping, etc.
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohnistun View Post
Or do I go out of my comfort zone and have a try at the various tailors in Hong Kong?

I'd go for it. Just make friends with Patrick at WW Chan and Peter at Peter Lee both in Kowloon and you'll be well taken care of for years to come.
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post
I'd go for it. Just make friends with Patrick at WW Chan and Peter at Peter Lee both in Kowloon and you'll be well taken care of for years to come.

+1

In fact it's easier that you're moving there. You'll have time to perfect your pattern.
post #9 of 37
Thread Starter 
Would you still recommend getting suits made from Lee Baron given their recent climb in prices? I'm under the impression that they're not too far off from Gordon Yao, which is then again not that that far off from Chan. So is Chan really the one stop wonderstore nowadays? Or would it be worthwhile to have several suits made at various vendors
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohnistun View Post
Would you still recommend getting suits made from Lee Baron given their recent climb in prices? I'm under the impression that they're not too far off from Gordon Yao, which is then again not that that far off from Chan.

So is Chan really the one stop wonderstore nowadays? Or would it be worthwhile to have several suits made at various vendors



Check out their house styles and see if you like them.

There was a recent series of posts about HK tailors on A Suitable Wardrobe.
post #11 of 37
Unless those rtw brands fit you perfectly, including in the collar and arm holes, I'd definitely go w/ Chan and/or another tailor. I'm a huge fan of the folks at Chan. I just wish I lived there or they lived here.
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohnistun View Post
Would you still recommend getting suits made from Lee Baron given their recent climb in prices? I'm under the impression that they're not too far off from Gordon Yao, which is then again not that that far off from Chan.

So is Chan really the one stop wonderstore nowadays? Or would it be worthwhile to have several suits made at various vendors

I was planning to go Lee Baron for a suit but didn't have time. So I hit up GY's e-mail about pricing and here is what I got (for Gordon Yao).

"Our pricing starting from US$1550- or HK$12,090- and up (depending on fabrics)."

Isn't that more than Chan? According to their website, Chan's suits start @ $9000 HKD.

Love to know more info on price on PL's suits, if one was to make it comparable to that of Chan/Yao
post #13 of 37
Ohnistun, There is a top notch tailor from Tokyo visiting Hong Kong several times a year for a select few clients in Hong Kong. He was trained in Milan for 8 years and have been running a shop in Tokyo for 16 years. The quality is nothing compared to Brioni or Kiton or any other RTW/MTO labels you could get at Saks, Neiman or Bergdorf. For what you are looking for, price is a bargain, starting from US$4,300 for the cheapest fabric and up to US$22,000 max for a 2pc suit. Full bespoke with a few fittings. If you are really looking for the TOP quality, do not settle for Hong Kong tailors period. You are simply not going to get it. Send me a Private Message should you have any interest.
post #14 of 37
When you get to Hong King look up Gordon Yao at the Royal Garden Hotel on Mody Street in Kowloon. That will resolve your tailoring problems for many years. Forget OTR, makes no sense in HK whatever price your means forces to to follow.
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by iyorito View Post
Ohnistun,

There is a top notch tailor from Tokyo visiting Hong Kong several times a year for a select few clients
in Hong Kong. He was trained in Milan for 8 years and have been running a shop in Tokyo for 16
years. The quality is nothing compared to Brioni or Kiton or any other RTW/MTO labels you could get
at Saks, Neiman or Bergdorf. For what you are looking for, price is a bargain, starting from US$4,300
for the cheapest fabric and up to US$22,000 max for a 2pc suit. Full bespoke with a few fittings. If you
are really looking for the TOP quality, do not settle for Hong Kong tailors period. You are simply not
going to get it.

Send me a Private Message should you have any interest.

I diosagree with you entirely, there are three well trained and porven tailors (Yao, Chan, Y William Yu) and resorting to a Japanese tailor is just unnecessary one up man ship. There are of course some in Hong Kong who would do that, after all, the number of Rolls Royce motor cars per head of population is I believe the highest in the world.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hong Kong - Bespoke WW Chan or Load up OTR Brioni, Belvests, and Canali's