• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Athletic Fatigue aka "The Bonk"

CBDB

Reaction score
I'm a pretty commited former competitive cyclist and commute to work and ride with a group on the weekends.
Two weeks ago on a fairly tame (30kph avg) ride of 100KM I started cramping up at the end. Considering the cool temps and tame pace I was surprised. On Good Friday I went for another 100KM ride with the group under similar conditions and at roughly 60KM was starting to cramp and by 90KM was totally shattered. I fully bonked and made my way home in my lowest gear struggling to keep my feet moving. When I got home I was freezing despite the reasonably mild temps and my hands were numb ( not cold just didn't have much feeling in them).

I was hydrated and took in some carbs on the ride but don't know what's going on. I'm a former Cat 2 rider and have had this happen a couple of times before but only under epic conditions of heat, pace or distance (or all three)

Anyone have any insight as to what going on with my body?

P.S. Not overweight: BMI around 23

The King of Teeth

Reaction score
How about taking some time off? upping the nutrition? Assuming you have nothing medical going on, give your body a week off. Enjoy and refeed your body.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing low blood sugar. Might consider getting tested.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
I'm guessing low blood sugar. Might consider getting tested.
What could cause low blood sugar, outside of not eating enough?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBDB
(...)

I was hydrated and took in some carbs on the ride but don't know what's going on. I'm a former Cat 2 rider and have had this happen a couple of times before but only under epic conditions of heat, pace or distance (or all three)

Anyone have any insight as to what going on with my body?

P.S. Not overweight: BMI around 23

hmmm, if there's no obvious physical issues (and at this point a check-up might be in order), then dietary considerations (particularly iron and zinc intake) and stress levels (job, school, relationships) could also take a toll.

Since our minds tend to be the first limiting factor (don't ask for references or evidence because it's all at home), I'd check your emotional well-being first.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid

Hypoglycemia, AKA low blood sugar, can be due to many different things. It might not even be that. Just go in and see the doctor. Chances are it's nothing unless the same symptoms happen every time you ride.

alexanduh

Reaction score
BMI means nothing. cycling that far is ridculous. go see a nutrionist.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than the obvious nutritional stuff, get your blood checked. My mother had a similar episode about 25 years ago when we were on a hike. Turns out that it was one of the first symptoms of her diabetes. She has been living with it ever since.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexanduh
cycling that far is ridculous.
Earth to sofa: A 100km bicycle ride on a proper road bike is easy. I have always found that bonking is related to insufficient nutrition and sleep the day before the event. Only had one real bonk on the road bike, but struggling up a 2% grade in the 39-25 is no fun!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blood test, blood test, blood test. Go to an endo. Explain your concerns. Get a full-ass panel done ASAP.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Blood test, blood test, blood test. Go to an endo. Explain your concerns. Get a full-ass panel done ASAP.

+100000 Could be anemia. Have it checked.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You know, sometimes you have a workout that just doesn't work out for any obvious reason. If you get back in the saddle and find that everything's normal again...then cool. If it seems that you aren't back to where you were earlier...then I'd see a doctor.

I've had training runs where I turned around at 2 miles and struggled to get home, and then turned around and ran 10 the next day with no trouble. Happens to the elites as well, for instance, Kara Goucher tuned up for a track workout but couldn't keep up what should have been (for her) an easy pace. Her coach told her to go home, take a nap, and try again tomorrow, and things were fine the next day.

chet31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid

OP, assuming you don't have a medical issue like diabetes, it could be as simple as this - you are not eating enough. You are burning large amounts of calories, you've got to fuel up. Do some reading up on sports nutrition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads