or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Working on straight commission
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Working on straight commission

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Has anyone here worked on a straight commission only basis? What have your experiences been like?
post #2 of 32
As a stockbroker I did. Sometimes it was good and times that were horrible.

What field are you in?
post #3 of 32
Yes. I founded a number of businesses. Sometimes they failed and sometimes I found success
post #4 of 32
I work on straight commission. I think it depends on how well you do what you do? When I started it was tough because I would have extremely good months and terrible months. Now that I have experience I can push some sales off to the next billing cycle and I learned that a good pay check this month might not be as good next month.

my 2 cents.
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
I work on straight commission. I think it depends on how well you do what you do? When I started it was tough because I would have extremely good months and terrible months. Now that I have experience I can push some sales off to the next billing cycle and I learned that a good pay check this month might not be as good next month.

my 2 cents.

True. Feast or famine
post #6 of 32
depends on what your are selling? service ? product?
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post
Yes. I founded a number of businesses. Sometimes they failed and sometimes I found success

sorry, that is different, that is running your own business, as risky, or more so, but a different proposition

I have about 40% of my overall income from performance bonuses. I worked, once, for 100% commission for about a month. my, personal, feeling is that companies that pay you straight commission are more than a little sleezy.
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
sorry, that is different, that is running your own business, as risky, or more so, but a different proposition

I have about 40% of my overall income from performance bonuses. I worked, once, for 100% commission for about a month. my, personal, feeling is that companies that pay you straight commission are more than a little sleezy.
Different circumstance but when I was first starting if I didn't make sales I didn't make money.
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
sorry, that is different, that is running your own business, as risky, or more so, but a different proposition

I have about 40% of my overall income from performance bonuses. I worked, once, for 100% commission for about a month. my, personal, feeling is that companies that pay you straight commission are more than a little sleezy.

Actually, some cases are much better to be paid 100% commission than getting a salary. Guys that can make it off commission only must be good with their personal finances. One of my jobs in colleges was selling new cars. It was almost accepted in this field that when someone had a good week and just received a large paycheck, you would not see them for the next week. They were off binging on drugs, pills, gambling, booze, and anything else you can think of that involves pissing away money.

I also worked for a landscape company paying me commission only and had weeks where I made nothing. I quit shortly after as the way the owner had it set up was sleazy. We were already in an over saturated market and among many other things, it was a waste of time.

There are sales jobs out there that are bogus. Vector Marketing for one. Trying to sale random people very expensive knives is tough no matter how good you are.
post #10 of 32
I'm not talking about about ability to make money. you can make a lot of money on straight commission. I think that there are a lot of issues with how a company manages its sales people, how it plans its strategy, various other things. but that is my feeling
post #11 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon8 View Post
As a stockbroker I did. Sometimes it was good and times that were horrible.

What field are you in?

I work for a social media marketing company in the UK. I've only been working there for a few months and the managers seem to be impressed with my performance. Btw, I am currently working on a 100% commission only basis. I have been summoned to a meeting with my manager where we will discuss whether I want a basic + or want to continue on a commission only plan. I am edging towards commission only because if I'm good ill make way more money than if I were on a basic +.

The company doesn't seem to be "sleazy" in any way shape or form. Do most of you on here think that companies that pay a basic + are less sleazy than companies who pay on a straight commission only basis? I've worked for a insurance marketing company before on a basic + and my god they were sleazy! I left for that very reason.
post #12 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
I work on straight commission. I think it depends on how well you do what you do? When I started it was tough because I would have extremely good months and terrible months. Now that I have experience I can push some sales off to the next billing cycle and I learned that a good pay check this month might not be as good next month.

my 2 cents.

What field are you in? Nice to meet someone who works on straight commission.
post #13 of 32
When I was selling Fine Art my wages were approximately 33% wage 66% bonus. I was reasonably good so it was worth while, I had a few co-workers who sucked and as a result couldn't afford rent. I wouldn't like to go into any industry paying in the same way without being confident in my abilities to pay the bills.
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
I work for a social media marketing company in the UK. I've only been working there for a few months and the managers seem to be impressed with my performance. Btw, I am currently working on a 100% commission only basis. I have been summoned to a meeting with my manager where we will discuss whether I want a basic + or want to continue on a commission only plan. I am edging towards commission only because if I'm good ill make way more money than if I were on a basic +.

The company doesn't seem to be "sleazy" in any way shape or form. Do most of you on here think that companies that pay a basic + are less sleazy than companies who pay on a straight commission only basis? I've worked for a insurance marketing company before on a basic + and my god they were sleazy! I left for that very reason.

If you sell ads for the company I'd stay with the commission only.
post #15 of 32
I work on straight commission. Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield. Learn to budget. Keep your money in a couple separate banks. Don't exhale until you have about enough in the bank to last a year.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Working on straight commission