or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hartmann vs. Glaser Designs vs. Lotuff & Clegg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hartmann vs. Glaser Designs vs. Lotuff & Clegg

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
I've always wanted to have a Hartmann bag, ever since my parents gifted my sister a suitcase set. I was so jealous! Anyways, I'm thinking of getting the Hartmann Belting Leather Valise:

http://www.hartmann.com/shop/productDetail-sku-1030

Does anyone have any experience with Hartmann's belting leather? My only hang-up about the bag is that it is made in China. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with products made in China, but I feel that there should at least be some sort of cost advantage, which I do not see here.

I am also considered other duffels, for example one from Glaser Designs or Lotuff & Clegg. They are a bit more expensive, but made in the States. I've read that Hartmann bags develop a nice patina and that the belting leather is especially durable. Does this also hold true for the other two bags?

Anyone have one of these bags and would like to share their thoughts (and pictures of their bags)?
post #2 of 35
You would be hard pressed to find a bag maker better than Glaser, IMO, especially for the money. It's not Hermes, but not far off either. If his bags were sitting on the shelves of high end retail stores, the price would easily be justified at 10 fold what he sells them for now. And you can modify the bag to suit your particular needs.
post #3 of 35
Thread Starter 
The GD duffel sure is nice, though one drawback I see is the relatively small opening, as compared to the Hartmann or L&C.

What do you mean exactly by "modify?" From what I can see on their website, the available options seem to be just various organizers. Or are you referring to a full custom order?

I cannot seem to find any pictures of GD products IRL. I'm wondering how they look after some wear.
post #4 of 35
i personally like lotuff and clegg though i cant vouch for their quality having never bought one.
post #5 of 35
Thread Starter 
From what I can see on the L&C website, their duffels have no lining. I'm concerned that if a water bottle were to leak in there, for example, that it would soak through the leather and leave a stain. It seems so much better to have a lining.

I guess I am just too picky!
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan'l View Post
The GD duffel sure is nice, though one drawback I see is the relatively small opening, as compared to the Hartmann or L&C.

What do you mean exactly by "modify?" From what I can see on their website, the available options seem to be just various organizers. Or are you referring to a full custom order?

I cannot seem to find any pictures of GD products IRL. I'm wondering how they look after some wear.

They look great. Mine is over a year old and the finish is easy to maintain.
post #7 of 35
I'd rather have an $80 travel backpack that holds twice as much as that duffel, is waterproof, lighter, contains a zillion pockets, keeps clothes less-wrinkled, is designed for modern air travel, and is infinitely easier to carry , but if you feel the need to impress strangers at the airport with your old-timey railroad satchel, I vote for the glaser.
post #8 of 35
For a weekend duffel, I like the looks of the Lotuff & Clegg but am open to other suggestions if someone finds something nicer.
post #9 of 35
Having visited the Glaser Designs showroom, I can vouch for their excellent quality and workmanship and very fair pricepoint. The issue I had was the logo. I didn't want a bag with a logo and they would not make one for me without it. So I passed.

I have to also mention that I purchased a ballistic nylon work bag from Hartman at a huge discount almost 10 years ago. I figured it would last a couple of years. I have carried it nearly every day for the last decade and have not been gentle with it and it's still in excellent condition. For the price, you cannot beat the quality.
post #10 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLA View Post
I'd rather have an $80 travel backpack that holds twice as much as that duffel, is waterproof, lighter, contains a zillion pockets, keeps clothes less-wrinkled, is designed for modern air travel, and is infinitely easier to carry , but if you feel the need to impress strangers at the airport with your old-timey railroad satchel, I vote for the glaser.

Ha ha, nicely put. However, I really dislike backpacks, unless I'm going hiking.
post #11 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_esq View Post
I have to also mention that I purchased a ballistic nylon work bag from Hartman at a huge discount almost 10 years ago. I figured it would last a couple of years. I have carried it nearly every day for the last decade and have not been gentle with it and it's still in excellent condition. For the price, you cannot beat the quality.

I've heard this many times with respect to Hartmann. My sister's tweed suitcase set still looks very nice, after nearly a couple decades of wear. I'm wondering if their newer stuff made in China holds up as well.
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_esq View Post
Having visited the Glaser Designs showroom, I can vouch for their excellent quality and workmanship and very fair pricepoint. The issue I had was the logo. I didn't want a bag with a logo and they would not make one for me without it. So I passed. .
I've heard this before, and continue to be amazed by it. I'm so surprised that they'd be willing to lose a sale just because they want to stick their logo on the front. That would be a deal breaker for me, as well; I'd rather the item speak for itself, without that ugly logo on front. I briefly considered Glaser when I was on the hunt for my bespoke piece, but wasn't thrilled with the selection or types of leathers, the colors available, or the customization options that were available to me. The logo thing would have been another issue, but we never made it that far. From my brief examination of their goods.... I think the pricepoint and quality are great, for what it is, but I definitely don't think it's in Hermes territory, or would be worth it at 2-3x's the price. At $700-1000, I think you'll not find much that's better... but I think for $3000, you'd not be recommending Glaser and there are other options. For example, I also think, comparably from what I've seen, it's also not in April in Paris territory (who also works out of San Fran) in terms of details, colors, manufacture, etc. That's who I chose ultimately for my bag, and I continue to be more thrilled with the item every time I use it. That being said, it is very nice stuff infinitely nicer, at $1000, than a $1000 Gucci, Prada, or other "brand" bag. it's also better, I think than SF "favorites" like SAB or Dunhill's upper-tier stuff.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
I've heard this before, and continue to be amazed by it. I'm so surprised that they'd be willing to lose a sale just because they want to stick their logo on the front. That would be a deal breaker for me, as well; I'd rather the item speak for itself, without that ugly logo on front.

I briefly considered Glaser when I was on the hunt for my bespoke piece, but wasn't thrilled with the selection or types of leathers, the colors available, or the customization options that were available to me. The logo thing would have been another issue, but we never made it that far.

From my brief examination of their goods.... I think the pricepoint and quality are great, for what it is, but I definitely don't think it's in Hermes territory, or would be worth it at 2-3x's the price. At $700-1000, I think you'll not find much that's better... but I think for $3000, you'd not be recommending Glaser and there are other options. For example, I also think, comparably from what I've seen, it's also not in April in Paris territory (who also works out of San Fran) in terms of details, colors, manufacture, etc. That's who I chose ultimately for my bag, and I continue to be more thrilled with the item every time I use it.

That being said, it is very nice stuff infinitely nicer, at $1000, than a $1000 Gucci, Prada, or other "brand" bag. it's also better, I think than SF "favorites" like SAB or Dunhill's upper-tier stuff.

Good points. At a higher pricepoint, there are more options, but agree that in the approximately $1,000 to 1,200 or less range, hard to beat Glaser. May I ask what you paid for an April in Paris bag? Does it include the bee logo? Was not familiar with her, but am intrigued.
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan'l View Post
I've heard this many times with respect to Hartmann. My sister's tweed suitcase set still looks very nice, after nearly a couple decades of wear. I'm wondering if their newer stuff made in China holds up as well.

I'll have to check where mine was made. I had heard of their declining quality when I bought mine, but am now curious where it was made.
post #15 of 35
Glasers are nice but at the $1000-1500 level I would probably choose a lower-end SAB or Daines & Hathaway.

Glasers definitely have an American aesthetic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hartmann vs. Glaser Designs vs. Lotuff & Clegg