or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Power clashing - do you do it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Power clashing - do you do it?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Yay or nay?
post #2 of 21
like this? I don't have a wardrobe that could support it if I even tried.
post #3 of 21
Takes everything in me not to

but seriously - is that what you are talking about?
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 


It's actually a 30 Rock reference from one of my (fictional) sartorial hero's - Jack Donaghy. If he were real - he'd be Aportnoy's and Manton's lovechild.



During the last episode he met his future self in 20 years - and asks "What the hell are you wearing - is that a striped shirt with a striped tie???"

Future Jack replies "It's called power-clashing - and I will make it trendy in the year 2020"
post #5 of 21
"Power-clashing" is performed every day in the window displays of Turnbull & Asser - it's not a new phenomenon. It's only in this country that pattern-mixing is considered revolutionary and sexually suspect . . .
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post
sexually suspect . . .

More on this.....
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
More on this.....

As in - if you're able to successfully mix three patterns, you must also be of questionable sexual orientation (not my attitude - it is only with this generation of slobs that those who can dress are seen as "less than manly", but others may differ on this point - certainly those who would not bother to read postings here in these fora).
post #8 of 21
I think the tie and the suit patterns are a little too close in size and design.
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valproate View Post
I think the tie and the suit patterns are a little too close in size and design.

And the jacket is a full size too small.
post #10 of 21
I once wore a linen shirt under a seersucker suit. Does that count?
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post
As in - if you're able to successfully mix three patterns, you must also be of questionable sexual orientation (not my attitude - it is only with this generation of slobs that those who can dress are seen as "less than manly", but others may differ on this point - certainly those who would not bother to read postings here in these fora).
It is understood that these are not your own personal views but to touch on this, I have to say that I personally am long over this fear. I power clash at will and it is not only liberating, it is either going to upset some but the majority would probably enjoy seeing it. There are a lot of men out there who are literally afraid of what others think, if they think at all, and really, why imprison ourselves with other peoples ignorance? We need not sleep with our critics after all, do we? Let them think me homosexual, bisexual, trisexual or asexual, I don't care. Leading is always more fun than following.
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post
It is understood that these are not your own personal views but to touch on this, I have to say that I personally am long over this fear. I power clash at will and it is not only liberating, it is either going to upset some but the majority would probably enjoy seeing it. There are a lot of men out there who are literally afraid of what others think, if they think at all, and really, why imprison ourselves with other peoples ignorance?
Having seen upr_crust's WAYWRN posts, I don't think he belongs to that category. In fact, going just by his ties, I'm quite certain he doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post
We need not sleep with our critics after all, do we?
Depends on how hot they are. Well, assuming they are women (personal preference - YMMV).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post
Let them think me homosexual, bisexual, trisexual or asexual, I don't care. Leading is always more fun than following.
That's the spirit! As long as you share those pictures on the Creepy Sartorial Images thread, of course. And while we're on the topic, I think you should meet Mr. James.
post #13 of 21
I lack the wherewithal to do this, so no.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlin View Post
That's the spirit! As long as you share those pictures on the Creepy Sartorial Images thread, of course. And while we're on the topic, I think you should meet Mr. James.

I've been painting a bedroom over here and was rather high on fumes when I typed my response.
I'm fairly certain that I'll agree with myself once the fumes wear off and appreciate the support Metlin!
post #15 of 21
i have been known to do this every now and then in a "subtle" manner..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Power clashing - do you do it?