• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the Single Best Upper Body Exercise?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I also forgot to add the dead lift as an option

And the pushup/row, which is sometimes called the "man-maker." This one is where you do a regular pushup, but you're holding dumbbells and executing a one-armed row each time you come up, alternating arms

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Press (standing) should be mentioned. Don't really thing of Burpees or Deadlifts as upper body, even though the upper body is used for both.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Pullups are the best for me at this time.

Having said that, there is no single 'best' upper (or lower) body exercise, because there are too many variables to consider. Where are you in your training? Which muscles do you need to work on?
It's an ever-evolving process and your body becomes accustomed to any exercise you do too often.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think pullups are. You have to do them with your abs flexed and you legs straight out so you work out most of your upper body. Works for me. But currently the house I live in doesn't support my pullup bar
frown.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Yes the overhead barbell press while standing was also not on the poll. Do you think that is the single best?

I wouldn't say I have sufficient lifting experience to where anyone should pay much attention to my opinion, but I think at the very least you'd need a pushing movement and a pulling movement. I like the press and the pull up.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no one movement that captures everything

Its all about balance... if u pull u gotta push etc.

Deadlifts are a great lift though

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to pick one. Kinda like asking which is the best tool - the screw driver, the drill or the hammer. Each one has its specific use. But if you want to pick a couple, I would pick the pushup and the pullup. The pushup has endless variations - wide, diamond, lalanne, feet up, pike, tiger, handstand, etc...to hit every muscle in the chest and shoulders. I can't think of a better lat exercise than the pullup. Couple these with crunches and you have the entire upper body, without any gym equipment to boot.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Voted for pullups, although pullups + pushups are so basic, yet so very very effective.

P.S. whatever your preference here is, I can pretty much say the best exercise will not be the bb bench press.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
evolving process and your body becomes accustomed to any exercise you do too often.

that's true. but for whatever reason, pullups seem to be the only exercise that no matter how many I do, the next day or two I always feel it

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I'm torn between heavy push presses (which I seldom do) and side presses (which I will attempt soon).
three.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads