• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

white tie with DJ

Allen

Reaction score
I saw the Thomas Crown affair remake(1999) again last night and I noticed that Thomas Crown(Pierce Brosnan) was wearing a white bow tie with a tuxedo. As I generally think of Brosnan as a very well-dressed man, I had to ask myself "What the hell?" Is a black and white ball an exception or how else can the combination be explained?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to Nicholas J. Storey, who seems to know more about the history of men's semi-formal eveningwear, wearing a white bowtie with a dinner jacket is quite correct sartorially although uncommon these days. A lot of the igentry piled onto president Obama for wearing a white tie with a "black tie" ensemble at the inaugural ball. In point of fact, Obama was right, the igents were wrong.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As the sitting Bond he was contractually forbidden from being seen in any other film in a tuxedo. He was allowed this stretching of the rules as the parent companies of the Bond franchise and TCA were one and the same. Notice it's a white tie with a tux and you never see it fastened, just hung loosely inside his collar.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
According to Nicholas J. Storey, who seems to know more about the history of men's semi-formal eveningwear, wearing a white bowtie with a dinner jacket is quite correct sartorially although uncommon these days. A lot of the igentry piled onto president Obama for wearing a white tie with a "black tie" ensemble at the inaugural ball. In point of fact, Obama was right, the igents were wrong.

orilly

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yes, really. According Storey, the dinner jacket was most commonly worn with a white tie in the pre-WWI era, but by the 1920s it had been pretty well supplanted by the black bowtie.

So, there is excellent historical precent for wearing a white bowtie with a DJ although it might be considered somewhat "reactionary" these days. However, I am sure that a nice conservative like you, Manton, wouldn't necessarily equate "reactionary" with "wrong" or "bad." Besides, if as hip and contemporary a figure as the current POTUS chooses to wear a white tie with a DJ how "reactionary" can it be? I have heard Obama called a lot of things in recent years, but "reactionary" isn't one of them.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You can joust back and forth as long as you wish on the allegedly correct history of white tie with dinner jacket but the fact remains Brosnan did not wear a black tie with his due to the Bond contract.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
^Yes, really. According Storey, the dinner jacket was most commonly worn with a white tie in the pre-WWI era, but by the 1920s it had been pretty well supplanted by the black bowtie.

So, there is excellent historical precent for wearing a white bowtie with a DJ although it might be considered somewhat "reactionary" these days. However, I am sure that a nice conservative like you, Manton, wouldn't necessarily equate "reactionary" with "wrong" or "bad." Besides, if as hip and contemporary a figure as the current POTUS chooses to wear a white tie with a DJ how "reactionary" can it be? I have heard Obama called a lot of things in recent years, but "reactionary" isn't one of them.

Well, I was not aware that the DJ was commonly worn at all in the pre-WWI era. That was a time when tails ruled.

However, the real question here is what rules prevail at a given time. Originally tails were worn with black waistcoats. Every picture and illustration you see from the Gilded Age shows this. By the Edwardian Era, a white waistcoat was the rule.

So, you can say that, essentially, since it happened once however long ago, it's correct forever. But that's clearly wrong, it seems to me. Styles evolve. Otherwise (say) the blue coat with gold buttons and buff leggings of the Regency would still be "correct" for evening, which would be absurd.

The style of correct formal wear has changed little since the 1930s. One change in the UK would be that it's considered incorrect there now to wear a wing collar with black tie (it wasn't in the '30s) but it's still OK here.

However, I don't expect the styles to change any further simply because there is no longer any interest in them. Rather than evolve more, men's formal wear will simply die.

And if you think Obama wore what he wore out of conviction rather than ignorance, all I can say is
rolleyes.gif

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
As the sitting Bond he was contractually forbidden from being seen in any other film in a tuxedo. He was allowed this stretching of the rules as the parent companies of the Bond franchise and TCA were one and the same. Notice it's a white tie with a tux and you never see it fastened, just hung loosely inside his collar.

Originally Posted by Ianiceman
You can joust back and forth as long as you wish on the allegedly correct history of white tie with dinner jacket but the fact remains Brosnan did not wear a black tie with his due to the Bond contract.

It amuses me that the correct answer is being ignored for the sake of an argument.

howbah

Reaction score
hey, I read someplace that Pierce Brosnan had some sort of weird contract that said he wasn't even allowed to wear a tux except when he was playing James Bond.

anybody know anything about this?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
hey, I read someplace that Pierce Brosnan had some sort of weird contract that said he wasn't even allowed to wear a tux except when he was playing James Bond.

anybody know anything about this?

No, but according to Nicholas J. Storey....
teacha.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually going to wear my tux with a white bow and white waistcoat next week
eek.gif
peepwall[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm actually going to wear my tux with a white bow and white waistcoat next week
eek.gif
peepwall[1].gif

Why???

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Why???

Why not

I'm going to a Gatsby theme party and this is something I can piece together easily from my wardrobe without buying anything new (I don't own tails). So that's my outfit for the night

the-great-gatsby-3d.jpg

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you jump at the chance to get a tail coat?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't tell if you're serious. It's just some buddy's costume party - I'm not buying tails for this. Actually, I'm not buying anything for this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads