• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Undershirts - Pima worth the extra money

csc67

Reaction score
I know I can pick up undershirts for ~3.00 each at Walmart / Target, but there are also some very nice ones manufactured out of 100% pima cotton that run ~$20.00. Do the benefits of the 100% pima undershirts outweigh the additional cost of them?

Any specific 100% pima undershirts manufacturers that you can recommend?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why buy undershirts?

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those ridiculously hot days you don't want to have embarrassing sweat spots on your shirt.

On those types of days I like to wear an under armour undershirt. They work ridiculously well.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csc67
I know I can pick up undershirts for ~3.00 each at Walmart / Target, but there are also some very nice ones manufactured out of 100% pima cotton that run ~$20.00. Do the benefits of the 100% pima undershirts outweigh the additional cost of them?

Any specific 100% pima undershirts manufacturers that you can recommend?

Pima is not worth it.

Now if you step all the way UP and buy Swiss cotton undershirt like the ones made by Zimmerli, than you can definitely notice the difference.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pima is a very nice cotton and you can tell the difference. But is it worth the price? Probably not.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
For those ridiculously hot days you don't want to have embarrassing sweat spots on your shirt.

On those types of days I like to wear an under armour undershirt. They work ridiculously well.

They even make a V-Neck!
biggrin.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like most materials there are various grades of Pima. (I happen to be helping a fashion designer right now research Pima resources in Peru, they vary a lot). Great Pima is, well great.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
There are many aspects of my wardrobe that I will spend amounts much greater than average on. Underwear (and socks) are not one of them. I have purchased both Zimmerli underwear and Pantherella socks. Neither came close to justifying the cost long term over the TJ Maxx/Century 21 brands.

amdovers

Reaction score
they don´t cost extra money! you can find pima cotton tees in New York, just check them out at uniqlo

Tug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csc67
Anyone else have thoughts on Pima cotton?

hey there csc,

you can definitely feel the difference between some regular cotton undershirts and pima cotton undershirts. If you are starting on the low end ($3-$4) per undershirt and compare it to say a $20 pima cotton undershirt, you should notice that the fabric will feel much softer and somewhat silkier. This is because pima is a long staple cotton like egyptian cotton.

the reality is though, the key to finding a nice undershirt is equal parts fabric and overall fit. I have some really nice pima cotton undershirts, but some just don't fit right.

the frank truth is that you can find some really nice feeling and fitting undershirts in the $10-$15 range, and if you find one that fits well, you will be able to feel the difference immediately.

some good options are the cotton spandex blend undershirts like the alfani stretch from macys or the pima cotton undershirts from nordstrom. you might also want to try out the 1x1 rib pima cotton undershirts from 2xist.

there's a bunch more info on my site, but you might also want to check out sites like freshpair.com or barenecessities.com.

hope the info above helps!!
best,
tug
undershirtguy.com

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Zimmerli undershirt but I don't like it as much as regular cheap undershirts, regardless of cost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads