or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Do wealthy people have fewer possessions in their homes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do wealthy people have fewer possessions in their homes? - Page 3

post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
For many this is true. That said, there are more than a few people who don't want photos of their house published. There are even people who require confidentiality clauses in the owner/architect agreement that forbid the taking of any photographs.

Not very serious art, I take it.
post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Carlos View Post
Err, no. It's usually not their sense of style, but their interior designer's. And many will hire a designer who's well-known and well-connected precisely because he or she has a reasonable shot at getting the home into AD. Secondary benefits include getting access to rare or unique pieces. A good designer will take the owners' tastes and preferences as her starting point, and she'll let the owners give a thumbs up / thumbs down to tactical purchases and decisions. But she is the mastermind behind the overall layout. This is what separates wealthy people from teh poors when it comes to taste.
This is exactly it. A good designer understands that a few thoughtful pieces is much better at achieving an asthetic than a bunch of random shit that almost works.
post #33 of 68
my house is outrageously cluttered. We complain about it and always "intend" to do something about it but somehow the Great Purge has not happened yet.
post #34 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
my house is outrageously cluttered. We complain about it and always "intend" to do something about it but somehow the Great Purge has not happened yet.

You've taken the first step towards recovery here, Manton.
post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
Not very serious art, I take it.
Are you referring to the photoshoot with the borrowed painting? I don't recall the name of the artist -- this was back in the 90s -- but it was indeed not very serious art. The shoot was for the interior desecrator. It was he who arranged for the painting. The client told me about it some time later.

On the other hand, if you are referring to the clients who refrain from having photos of their houses published (inferred from the text parsed) that is more from a desire to stay out of the limelight -- or perhaps a desire to control what gets published -- and has little to do with art.
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
my house is outrageously cluttered. We complain about it and always "intend" to do something about it but somehow the Great Purge has not happened yet.

Same here. It's like some incurable virus - everytime we try to attack it from one end, it spreads somewhere else, and then multiplies. With young kids in the house, it would be a full-time task to even try to keep it uncluttered.
post #37 of 68
Having fewer possessions is a matter of taste, not income. We are not rich, and our house is not cluttered.
post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
Are you referring to the photoshoot with the borrowed painting? I don't recall the name of the artist -- this was back in the 90s -- but it was indeed not very serious art. The shoot was for the interior desecrator. It was he who arranged for the painting. The client told me about it some time later.

On the other hand, if you are referring to the clients who refrain from having photos of their houses published (inferred from the text parsed) that is more from a desire to stay out of the limelight -- or perhaps a desire to control what gets published -- and has little to do with art.
No, no. The former. Like you said.
post #39 of 68
I've noticed that clutter, at least as it occurs in my life, is often a result of just not having enough storage space for all the little shit that accumulates over the years. Certainly a restrained approach to buying shit is the most proactive and effective clutter-reducing technique. But additionally, adding more storage space really does help. Bear in mind that you can't just hoard shit in there, though. The act of putting something away should carry with it the intellectual exercise of figuring out when and why, if ever, you'll pull it back out. If you can't think of a reason, to the dump or goodwill it goes.
post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
Most wealthy people are too busy experiencing things that actually bring happiness rather than accumulating shit for its own sake.
IME, most wealthy people are too busy working rather than accumulating shit for its own sake. Seems the richer people get, the more time they spend working because they enjoy it. If you're running a successful business, you don't have time to spend the weekend shopping for crap (or, for that matter, going on holidays). (Source)
post #41 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
my house is outrageously cluttered. We complain about it and always "intend" to do something about it but somehow the Great Purge has not happened yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
Same here. It's like some incurable virus - everytime we try to attack it from one end, it spreads somewhere else, and then multiplies. With young kids in the house, it would be a full-time task to even try to keep it uncluttered.

Attempting to de-clutter while you still have young children is a fool's errand!

My front yard/walkway looks like a freaking trailer-park after a tornado touched down ...
post #42 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by v0rtex View Post
IME, most wealthy people are too busy working rather than accumulating shit for its own sake. Seems the richer people get, the more time they spend working because they enjoy it. If you're running a successful business, you don't have time to spend the weekend shopping for crap (or, for that matter, going on holidays). (Source)
The comments on that blog are always hilarious
post #43 of 68
I totally gained 3sq ft of apartment space last night when I decided to to throw a bunch of stuff out.

As such, I have gained area and reduced possessions--I will soon have a wealthy home!

I see another 7sq ft I could gain...if all goes according to plan, I will have a 10 sq ft gain (that has been waiting since I moved into this place) and a reduction in item-density.

Then they will start sending me my rich person checks right?
post #44 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
Then they will start sending me my rich person checks right?


No, but I think you'll be getting a call from AD very soon.
post #45 of 68
This is a silly thread. Some people have a lot of stuff rich or poor. AD homes are staged so it really depends on what the designer wants to show off. If you look at staged homes that are for sale even if there are still people living in them you wont find junk all over the place. The houses generally are not supposed to be personal, they are design concepts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Do wealthy people have fewer possessions in their homes?