or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › FS: Men's Clothing (Archive) › Beware of the ebay buyer: bernardor2011 - Ebay buyer problem
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beware of the ebay buyer: bernardor2011 - Ebay buyer problem - Page 5

post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketCircle View Post
Selling is too risky to make any profit out of it; therefore, after selling what I have in stock, I will stop listing any items.


That's too bad. PocketCircle is one of the better (and patient) sellers on the forum. And I definitely plan on buying more items from him soon.
post #62 of 69
Thanks for the explanation. I figured that this was pretty much the case. The "problem" that I have is that previously, one could "get away" without any Tax or duty. This has changed during the last few months.

What I don't understand why VAT is payable. If the good originate from the EU (mainly Italy), then shipped to the US, I presume tax and duty must have been levied then.

When it is shipped back to the UK, what is Tax/Duty payable then? That's the bit I don't really understand.

Any clarification will be welcome.

Regards

Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
It's pretty straight forward, there is a limit on gift before it hits you with VAT (pretty low too...), a different limit if you don't decalre as gift.

Either way you can't get rid of VAT, the only way is to have sender declare it as 0 value (or something ridiculous low), remember you can't have it insured either. If you insure it they will VAT base on the insure amount.

So in the end of the day your typical bill is

20% VAT on (Declare Value + Postage Fee)
Import Duty
8 p worth of Parcel Force Handling Fee

This is speaking from personal experience...

Rememebr VAT is charagable on the combined value of the item as well as the shipping cost, so even if you declare 0 value on your item, if shipping cost is high enough, you will still get hit by VAT

This is speaking from personal experience, got hit by VAT twice..., I can dig out the exact amount at certain point (limits for gift and limits for other things).
post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonf View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I figured that this was pretty much the case. The "problem" that I have is that previously, one could "get away" without any Tax or duty. This has changed during the last few months.

What I don't understand why VAT is payable. If the good originate from the EU (mainly Italy), then shipped to the US, I presume tax and duty must have been levied then.

When it is shipped back to the UK, what is Tax/Duty payable then? That's the bit I don't really understand.

Any clarification will be welcome.

Regards

Clint

you can try to fight it, but not sure if it will be successful. I think someone was able to buy a pair of EG in the States, have it shipped to UK, then get VAT back later because after proving it was made in England. Though wouldn't it really be a loop hole? As the EG sold in Saks didn't have VAT on them in the first place (as I understand).

I think you can have the sender mark as return to avoid VAT as well (if it's truly a return), i.e. they bought from you, send it back to you. Not sure how rigirous they're on checking these kind of stuff. I mean it's going to be funny if you're not retail, and you keep getting "return" item from some other country.
post #64 of 69
LOL, you're quite right. I'm not going to fight it. After all, I'm still getting the items for a very good price.

I just like to understand how/why things works. You've tried valiantly to explain and I do understand. I just guess that i'd better buy less from the States .

Thanks again

Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
you can try to fight it, but not sure if it will be successful. I think someone was able to buy a pair of EG in the States, have it shipped to UK, then get VAT back later because after proving it was made in England. Though wouldn't it really be a loop hole? As the EG sold in Saks didn't have VAT on them in the first place (as I understand).

I think you can have the sender mark as return to avoid VAT as well (if it's truly a return), i.e. they bought from you, send it back to you. Not sure how rigirous they're on checking these kind of stuff. I mean it's going to be funny if you're not retail, and you keep getting "return" item from some other country.
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post
That's too bad. PocketCircle is one of the better (and patient) sellers on the forum. And I definitely plan on buying more items from him soon.

+1 on that, never bought anything from him, but had a few exchange and it was all very prompt response.
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonf View Post
LOL, you're quite right. I'm not going to fight it. After all, I'm still getting the items for a very good price.

I just like to understand how/why things works. You've tried valiantly to explain and I do understand. I just guess that i'd better buy less from the States .

Thanks again

Clint


kind my conclusion as well, except small item I don't mind the risk w/ 0 declare value.

p.s. or have your friend bring it from the States, depends on how often they visit, it can kind of work...
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketCircle View Post
Everyone should ban him:

This is his ebay ID:
bernardor2011 (rojob@josephabboud.com)

In the end, I lost the shirt because I can't even take it out of the customs in the airport (FedEx is trying to charge $280 for that), higher than the value of the shirt.

This is the second time something like this happened to me over a pretty short period of time (in the previous case, a SF buyer returned a jacket without tracking and it got lost). Selling is too risky to make any profit out of it; therefore, after selling what I have in stock, I will stop listing any items.

If he didn't make sure that it returned to you, why is it your problem?
post #68 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketCircle View Post
Everyone should ban him:

This is his ebay ID:
bernardor2011 (rojob@josephabboud.com)

In the end, I lost the shirt because I can't even take it out of the customs in the airport (FedEx is trying to charge $280 for that), higher than the value of the shirt.

This is the second time something like this happened to me over a pretty short period of time (in the previous case, a SF buyer returned a jacket without tracking and it got lost). Selling is too risky to make any profit out of it; therefore, after selling what I have in stock, I will stop listing any items.

This is another reason I cringe at selling outside the US.
post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius View Post
This is another reason I cringe at selling outside the US.

Im going to stop as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › FS: Men's Clothing (Archive) › Beware of the ebay buyer: bernardor2011 - Ebay buyer problem