• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your workhorse Spring/Summer cotton/linen sport jacket

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last summer, it was all linen pants and untucked SS shirts. Maybe dress shoes. I think this year, I will incorporate a cotton jacket into my summer rotation. Ideas? How about some pictures? What would you suggest as a staple cotton or linen jacket? I'm not sure about the khaki look. Does anyone go with cotton navy, or do you stick the light colors? What's the one you wear the most often? Posting links to any suggestions and ideas is very much appreciated ... Also, what do you wear underneath? A lighter gauge (casual) dress shirt? I think it's easier to be considered overdressed in the summer with a getup like this.... with everyone else ultra casual. It's tough enough pulling off pants when everyone's in shorts... LL Bean for $135 ? http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignatur...tn&cat4=505930

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ground Zero on a Reevolving thread; never have I been prouder...
wink.gif
To answer, pale cream linen jacket. Goes well with just about any summer look, except if you have similar-coloured (but not exact enough to be a suit) linen trousers on. I like this kind of jacket enough to have got one bespoke. It's just a very versatile foundation piece. The most flexible summer item is probably a linen suit rather than just a jacket though, as you can then use the jacket and trousers separately. But I just wanted the jacket in that colour. I'm not as much of a fan of cotton suits of jackets. I used to have an off-white cotton suit and it always wore warmer than I expected. I also used to have a pale beige cotton jacket and didn't like the way it crumpled. I mean, linen crumples, but in an attractive way. Cotton crumples in a less pleasing manner.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I hate the look of lighter colored suits like khaki and cream. I have a red seersucker jacket that I wear very infrequently because it is so light and difficult to pair with trousers, shirts, and ties. For me, I'd like to get a mid grey and a navy linen suit for the hotter temperatures.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
landshark, A linen navy is a good idea. What do you think of the LLBean above (in navy) ? I'm just not sure I can pull off a cream/khaki jacket without looking like Orville Redenbocker or a Dixieland band player with a straw hat. Where are you looking? holdfast, Can you post a pic of your bespoke jacket? Wow, look at the difference in the tapered waist on these two. $135 slim looking fit in Moss Khaki is on the short list. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69525...trValue_0=Navy http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignatur...tn&cat4=505930

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I'm just not sure I can pull off a cream/khaki jacket...

If you don't like cream or khaki, get whichever of navy or tobacco suits your skintone best.

holdfast,
Can you post a pic of your bespoke jacket?
Not the best outfits I've ever put together, but the ones I found when quickly scanning my 2010 daily pics folder that best demonstrate the versatility of the jacket:

Fmli1.jpg

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. Yea, a light color as above is encroaching on summer wedding formality.
A little too dressy for what I'm looking for. (more of a daily wearer, can wear to a wine bar, etc)

navy or tobacco suits your skintone best.

What's the rule of thumb for these colors?
(It's been a year since I've read my Flusser book)

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Thanks for the pics. Yea, a light color as above is encroaching on summer wedding formality. A little too dressy for what I'm looking for. (more of a daily wearer, can wear to a wine bar, etc)
Don't forget that my jacket is fairly structured which makes it look a bit more formal; a softer and less structured jacket in the same colour will look less formal. So don't rule it out just yet.
<re: navy & tobacco> What's the rule of thumb for these colors? (It's been a year since I've read my Flusser book)
I just try on an item and see which looks better, or if ordering, place my hand against the swatch and see if I like the result. If I had to generalise, I think navy comes in enough variety of shades to find one that suits almost any complexion apart from a very dark black, and tobacco is also broad enough to find a shade to suit almost every complexion apart from my own (which is why I only have it for linen trousers, rather than a whole suit). YMMV.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I realize I;ll look silly in something too light.
Easy to just come off as trying too hard, unless you're at a &quot;summer formal&quot; event.

I'd prefer a darker jacket that is the color of your leftmost pair of pants. (dark tan)
That could go with jeans, or the blue pants on the right....without looking too dressy.

Any thoughts on cotton jackets with linen pants?
Does the texture/structure clash?

Poindexter

Reaction score
I just got a khaki jacket at the thrift, and I love it, but there are limitations. I'm fair, gray-haired, with pale blue eyes, so as much as I'd like to go for a Casablanca look, I just look like Casper. W.O.E. could rock this look; me, not so much. Be advised. For me, a blue gingham or cambric shirt or my navy turtle is the deal.

Also, these summer cotton/linen jackets tend to be almost or completely unstructured, so get back in the gym. On a pear-shaped person, it's not a flattering silhouette.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think you're overthinking this a bit Rev. A light jacket is great in the summer and won't look to stiff and formal if it's unstructured cotton or linen. Also I don't buy too much into this Flusser skin tone approach. If you offset a khaki/tan/beige jacket with a French blue shirt or a bold gingham you will be fine even for a pasty white Englishman!

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went Polo w/patch pockets. I have 2 blues (one dark navy &amp; one that looks like denim). Looking for a tan/beige/white one but needing dual vents is making that quest all but impossible.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a cropped pic (sorry all I have) of a twill, cotton jacket. Unlined with patch pockets that I find I wear a lot with jeans and a nice blue, white or pink shirt. This one is Borrelli but I think there are many options out there, even J Crew.

tanTVfold.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have this linen one by Luciano Barbera also with patch pockets. Cream linen is wonderful for an occasion like a wedding or a party but is seems a tad precious for everyday wear so it just doesn't get a lot of use. I will get a tan or brown(ish) linen suit next time.

Linenmadras.jpg

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I also have this linen one by Luciano Barbera also with patch pockets. Cream linen is wonderful for an occasion like a wedding or a party but is seems a tad precious for everyday wear so it just doesn't get a lot of use. I will get a tan or brown(ish) linen suit next time.

Linenmadras.jpg

Love the patch pocket..

Great idea...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads