or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ambrosi Napoli
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ambrosi Napoli - Page 95

post #1411 of 1858

Fred, tell us about the pents!  Was it worth the wait?

post #1412 of 1858
I had Ambrosi made make me a few pairs of pants when he was first brought to the attention of people on the internet ( by Michael Alden I believe). Al the handwork was very impressive and some of the design points were unlike anything that I previously had seen. Having said that, I had to work to get to a style with which I was comfortable. Then I got of whiff of his unreliability-nothing like the horror stories others have related, just a few missed deadlines-and he was history.


The fact is that much of what he does-the handstitching, the bartacks, the buttons- can be reproduced pretty easily by others. I've had Ercole and Dario Rodriguez copy some of the features I like of Ambrosipants that I like with great success. (I deal with Dario directly rather than through an intermediary). Frankly, I just don't get why people are willing to subject themselves to such anxiety over some unrealistic pursuit of perceived perfection when, in the end, this is supposed to be fun.
post #1413 of 1858
For me the main difference between Dario and Ambrosi - and it is an huge difference - is fit. Dario isn't really a pattern maker or even a fitter. He sews a serviceable though unexceptional pair of pents.

I've actually gone to his house to explain alterations. They never quite happened.

The handwork is several tiers below what you find with Ambrosi. Either can do a pacerina and a button fly. I would not trust Dario to do a lapped seam.
post #1414 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

For me the main difference between Dario and Ambrosi - and it is an huge difference - is fit. Dario isn't really a pattern maker or even a fitter. He sews a serviceable though unexceptional pair of pents.
I've actually gone to his house to explain alterations. They never quite happened.
The handwork is several tiers below what you find with Ambrosi. Either can do a pacerina and a button fly. I would not trust Dario to do a lapped seam.

Interesting, but is the work so good that you would be willing to ignore the horrors posted within this thread? Surely there has to be another bespoke artisan that can come close to what Ambrosi does, less all the aggravation?

 

Frankly, Ambrosi's behavior had shocked me, but, I will admit, those pants look sweet.

post #1415 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkl View Post

Frankly, I just don't get why people are willing to subject themselves to such anxiety over some unrealistic pursuit of perceived perfection when, in the end, this is supposed to be fun.

This +10
post #1416 of 1858
This is really getting into the marginal benefit realm. Is the fit on dario's pent's off, or is it just marginally off from ambrosi's pents? How good a fit are we talking here...perfect or various stages of not quite right.

I swear, waiting 2 years and paying $900 for pents that fit maybe 2% better than a pair of off the rack Howard Younts that are available right now for $200 is absolutely insane to me, but then I'm a small timer.
post #1417 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

For me the main difference between Dario and Ambrosi - and it is an huge difference - is fit. Dario isn't really a pattern maker or even a fitter. He sews a serviceable though unexceptional pair of pents.
I've actually gone to his house to explain alterations. They never quite happened.
The handwork is several tiers below what you find with Ambrosi. Either can do a pacerina and a button fly. I would not trust Dario to do a lapped seam.

Of all the pompous BS.If you wouldn't trust Dario to do a lap seam, then I guess you haven't asked him to do any. I have and he's done a beautiful job . Frankly, while I'm not one to question one's opinion on these matters because they are just that, you state yours as they are received from a diety.as is also reflected in your opinons about Ercole, which are just as silly. Handwork in pants indeed, as if that has much, if anything, to do with fit.

It would be one thing if I hadn't tried Ambrosi, and NSM, and A&S and many other net heroes but I have and given that I have easily as good a basis for comparison as you do, I'll believe my senses instead of you. The fact that you would tavel to SI from Manhattan or whereever you came from is less stupifying than the fact that there are some of you who feel the need to travel to Italy or England to get custom made pants and are willing to be abused for the privilege. To me, it just smacks of the kind of perfectionist snobbishness you see in hobbies as audio equipment.

For those of you who care for another point of view, Dario makes a fine pair of pants, which in my case include pacerina and button flies. As for fit, I had to work much harder to get the right fit from Ambrosi.His default low rise, tapered leg doesn't suit me. In fact Ambrosi needed to adapt to American taste and to learn how to cut pants for braces. BTW, I also would have Ercole make a pair of pants before Ambrosi in a heartbeat.The fit is better and I don't have to deal with the BS you seem to tolerate so well. Oh, and if you don't trust my opinion, you might ask Manton. I seem to remember him reporting how well Ercoles pants fit .
post #1418 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

This is really getting into the marginal benefit realm. Is the fit on dario's pent's off, or is it just marginally off from ambrosi's pents? How good a fit are we talking here...perfect or various stages of not quite right.
I swear, waiting 2 years and paying $900 for pents that fit maybe 2% better than a pair of off the rack Howard Younts that are available right now for $200 is absolutely insane to me, but then I'm a small timer.

The fit was always off with Dario. So much so that it seems bizarre to compare him to Ambrosi.

I haven't ordered anything from Ambrosi recently based largely on the stories I've heard here.

There are many others who do a very good job. For me, the fit with Ambrosi was uncannily good. If he could sort out the customer service problems, I'd happily order from him again.
post #1419 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkl View Post

You mad.
post #1420 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkl View Post

Of all the pompous BS.If you wouldn't trust Dario to do a lap seam, then I guess you haven't asked him to do any. I have and he's done a beautiful job . Frankly, while I'm not one to question one's opinion on these matters because they are just that, you state yours as they are received from a diety.as is also reflected in your opinons about Ercole, which are just as silly. Handwork in pants indeed, as if that has much, if anything, to do with fit.
It would be one thing if I hadn't tried Ambrosi, and NSM, and A&S and many other net heroes but I have and given that I have easily as good a basis for comparison as you do, I'll believe my senses instead of you. The fact that you would tavel to SI from Manhattan or whereever you came from is less stupifying than the fact that there are some of you who feel the need to travel to Italy or England to get custom made pants and are willing to be abused for the privilege. To me, it just smacks of the kind of perfectionist snobbishness you see in hobbies as audio equipment.
For those of you who care for another point of view, Dario makes a fine pair of pants, which in my case include pacerina and button flies. As for fit, I had to work much harder to get the right fit from Ambrosi.His default low rise, tapered leg doesn't suit me. In fact Ambrosi needed to adapt to American taste and to learn how to cut pants for braces. BTW, I also would have Ercole make a pair of pants before Ambrosi in a heartbeat.The fit is better and I don't have to deal with the BS you seem to tolerate so well. Oh, and if you don't trust my opinion, you might ask Manton. I seem to remember him reporting how well Ercoles pants fit .

I can't imagine why you seem so mad about this. My opinion doesn't come from diety, it comes from trying the maker.

Dario attempted a lapped seam on half of the eight or so pairs he made for me. It was sloppy.

That has nothing to do with fit but has a good deal to do with handwork - which is exactly what I was discussing in that part of my critique.

If he's made something you like, there's no reason for you not to be very happy with that. I'm simply surprised that you think he can remotely compare to the others you mentioned and I offer a different opinion for anyone deciding how to spend their money.
post #1421 of 1858
Let me get this straight, you never ordered a pair of pants from Ambrosi and yet you have posted through out this thread. But you order 8 pairs with Dario. What's wrong with this picture? BTW, did Dario take your measurements or did LS? If the latter, why are you blaming Dario for the fit issues?

The reason your post pissed me off is that you, like many others, state your opinions as if to disagree is to flirt with madness or, worse, tastelessness. I'm sorry that isn't the case. To let what you say go unchallenged would be a dissservice to Dario and to members who want a full picture of their options. That and as I've said elsewhere, their is a certain amount of unrestrained snobbishness on the forum that disrtorts peoples' views.

.
post #1422 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

You mad.

Is that bad?
post #1423 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkl View Post

Let me get this straight, you never ordered a pair of pants from Ambrosi and yet you have posted through out this thread. But you order 8 pairs with Dario. What's wrong with this picture? BTW, did Dario take your measurements or did LS? If the latter, why are you blaming Dario for the fit issues?
The reason your post pissed me off is that you, like many others, state your opinions as if to disagree is to flirt with madness or, worse, tastelessness. I'm sorry that isn't the case. To let what you say go unchallenged would be a dissservice to Dario and to members who want a full picture of their options. That and as I've said elsewhere, their is a certain amount of unrestrained snobbishness on the forum that disrtorts peoples' views.
.

I have ordered a bunch from Ambrosi. Hence my participation in this thread.

I was measured directly by Dario, as perhaps could be surmised by my having driven out to the rock.

I am genuinely surprised that you found him to be anywhere near bespoke caliber since, he makes only slight adjustments to stock patterns or at least that's what he showed me.

But if you have something that works for you, happy days since they're something like $100 + material.

You shouldn't be less happy with what you have because someone is less happy with what they have.
post #1424 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkl View Post

Is that bad?
Are pants worth the rage?
post #1425 of 1858
Not the pants, the attitude. It's the kind of attitude that empowers posters who have experience with a few makers to ridicule people in the trade with a lifetime of experience. It's the kind of attitude that confuses price with quality. And it permeates many of the threads. It offends me when a poster complains that he has to explain adjustments to a maker as is if he were a buffoon or crook. Dario makes pants out of his house, he puts out a good product at a good price and I question the standing of those who have never threaded a needle to piss on people who do so for a living.

CB: I could care less if don't like Dario's pants but I do question why you purchased 8 pairss from him if the fit sucked and the work was sloppy. There must something you saw in his work that kept you coming back. I know that I would have stopped at 2 if the product was that bad no matter how cheap they were.

BTW, does your avatar signify that you went to Harvard, MIT or Cambridge, or did you just grow up in a town called Cambridge?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ambrosi Napoli