• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Overload?

Butler

Reaction score
Realizing that just a hand full of members are in a position to offer valid inputs to this thread, I still would like to hear if you recognize this dilemma:

With a wardrobe consisting of 50+ or probably say 100+ bespoke garments (not talking about shirts), from any of the top 10-15 tailors in the world (and no, I'm not going into that discussion:), how do you handle the question of rotation?

Even if we change twice a day, or 3 times if one change for dinner, each item will only be worn a few times a year.

If you have a Butler or Valet, it will be his responsibility to seek rotation when laying out the clothes for his employer (much easier with shoes, of course).

Even under those circumstances, the employer (or his better half!) will often request some of his favourite outfits to be prepared.

And this is just the point; in my experience you will often reach a point when commissioning bespoke clothes, where a lot of it will never or very rarely be worn, because you tend to favour some items more than others!

As Vox has stated: "It is not a question whether one needs it, but that you want it" - but nevertheless, do we have a case of:

Bespoke overload?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100 bespoke garment?

356 days in a year?
2 Changes a day?

730 outfits per year?

Every outfit gets used 7 times in a year. I have many clothes that get used less than this.

twistoffat

Reaction score
Is this issue not just relevant to bespoke but to having maybe too many clothes in general.
How many do we need and who many do we actually have. I have some bespoke shirts and try get through all my clothing at some time in the year. I do find that despite variety in my wardrobe I do have my favourite pieces that get more wear

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP (or anyone in his position) needs a hobby .... other than clothes

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butler
Yes - but are they bespoke from the very best artisans?

That's open to endless discussion...

I have 12 bespoke suits and they're all from the very best and a few very nice MTM.

I don't have the finances to own 100 bespoke suits...

Butler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
OP (or anyone in his position) needs a hobby .... other than clothes

Cant speak for others - but for me it is not a hobby at all, just part of a lifestyle.

Additional thought: If you have a hobby like collecting art or cars, at least you can look at it and use them - and other people can enjoy it as well - you don't take friends or guests for a tour of a gentleman's wardrobe - so Bespoke overload perhaps!

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me get this straight, you think you have too many clothes?

You're not asking a question, or discussing if its possible, you are simply telling us that you are the owner of 100+ bespoke suits?

Congratulations, I am very hapy for you. Why is this a thread?

twistoffat

Reaction score
I don´t understand the need to have 100 bespoke suits. Couldn´t the tailor get it right the first time
wink.gif

Butler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Let me get this straight, you think you have too many clothes?

You're not asking a question, or discussing if its possible, you are simply telling us that you are the owner of 100+ bespoke suits?

Congratulations, I am very hapy for you. Why is this a thread?

I do not have 100+ bespoke items , but I'm conversant with the situation - and I am asking a question: How do you rotate (or not) if you have that many bespoke items, and do you find that some items are used much more than others, and some never?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cant speak for others - but for me it is not a hobby at all, just part of a lifestyle.

Additional thought: If you have a hobby like collecting art or cars, at least you can look at it and use them - and other people can enjoy it as well - you don't take friends or guests for a tour of a gentleman's wardrobe - so Bespoke overload perhaps!

So, you have the lifestyle where you have 100 suits but are wearing 8 of them because you like those the best ? I guess you are in that point where you have care for 50000 USD as much as I care for 50 USD. Like I would buy a trouser from Zara and not really beat myself up if I only wore it one time, you would apply to a 6000 USD suit.

Whole thing reminds of when someone was selling 20-25 Attolini MTM/MTO suits which according to the seller were made for a billionaire who didnt bother to pick them up.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Only one butler?! What am I, a farmer? Ha!

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a story my tailor told me; He said that the Sheikh of Dubai (or something like that) had about 1.000 suits but only wore ten of them, he was sad when he saw them just hanging there in that gigantic wardrobe.

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Realizing that just a hand full of members are in a position to offer valid inputs to this thread, I still would like to hear if you recognize this dilemma:

With a wardrobe consisting of 50+ or probably say 100+ bespoke garments (not talking about shirts), from any of the top 10-15 tailors in the world (and no, I'm not going into that discussion:), how do you handle the question of rotation?

Even if we change twice a day, or 3 times if one change for dinner, each item will only be worn a few times a year.

If you have a Butler or Valet, it will be his responsibility to seek rotation when laying out the clothes for his employer (much easier with shoes, of course).

Even under those circumstances, the employer (or his better half!) will often request some of his favourite outfits to be prepared.

And this is just the point; in my experience you will often reach a point when commissioning bespoke clothes, where a lot of it will never or very rarely be worn, because you tend to favour some items more than others!

As Vox has stated: "It is not a question whether one needs it, but that you want it" - but nevertheless, do we have a case of:

Bespoke overload?

It depends, if you keep all garments at one place, then it might seem excessive; but many who are bespoke clients spend their time in more than one house. Hence, 100 suits over let's say 3 different locations does seem rather reasonable.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like with many things, there is probably an 80/20 rule here. Not every one of the 100 suits will be worn 1/100th of the time. Many will be worn more often and some will not be worn a year or two. I don't think it makes a ton of sense to try to have an equally distributed "rotation". When you have enough money for 100 bespoke suits, you wear WTF you want whenever tf you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads