• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you follow your partner (boss) to a brand new boutique?

level32

Reaction score
Let's say you're a decent performer for the past two years (right out of undergrad) at a pretty good consulting firm (not MBB). Culture of the current firm is shifting and mostly not for the better. The partner you are under leaves the firm along with a few other higher level people. Later you find out it's to start a boutique consulting firm doing very similar things.

A couple months later, you get offered to join his tiny firm of <5 people. Pay is better and you probably will have more responsibility. Let's say they only have one big contract in place.

Would you do it?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by level32
Let's say you're a decent performer for the past two years (right out of undergrad) at a pretty good consulting firm (not MBB). Culture of the current firm is shifting and mostly not for the better. The partner you are under leaves the firm along with a few other higher level people. Later you find out it's to start a boutique consulting firm doing very similar things.

A couple months later, you get offered to join his tiny firm of <5 people. Pay is better and you probably will have more responsibility. Let's say they only have one big contract in place.

Would you do it?

Yes.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for it. Unless you're incredibly worried about brand names on your CV this sounds like a pretty interesting gig.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even if it doesn't work out for you in the end, your being loyal will be noticed by the partner you follow. I'm sure he will take care of you.

Then again, what do I know? I'm a senior about to graduate and I still haven't landed a ******* job.

Can you ask him to give me one?

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Will you be the only junior person there?

Who is the client?

What type of project do they have running? Are they interesting and aligned to your aspirations?

How extensive are the Partners' networks?

What are their expansion plans?

How many delivery consultants do they expect to have on board?

What is their contingency if their sole client fails?

Can you go back to your old company?

Can you jump into something else if things go pear shaped?

kxk

Reaction score
How long have you been at your current firm? Do you have plans of going on to bschool? (alternatively, does your firm expect you to go and get the MBA in order to be promoted?)
If answers are (1) long enough and (2) yes, then definitely follow your partner, I think.

level32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
Even if it doesn't work out for you in the end, your being loyal will be noticed by the partner you follow. I'm sure he will take care of you.

Then again, what do I know? I'm a senior about to graduate and I still haven't landed a ******* job.

Can you ask him to give me one?

Do appreciate your comments. I think our mindset might be more similar due to being relatively close in age. I can definitely see the answer changing depending on age and appetite for risk.

Wish I could hook you up but I'm not even set myself haha

Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Will you be the only junior person there?

Who is the client?

What type of project do they have running? Are they interesting and aligned to your aspirations?

How extensive are the Partners' networks?

What are their expansion plans?

How many delivery consultants do they expect to have on board?

What is their contingency if their sole client fails?

Can you go back to your old company?

Can you jump into something else if things go pear shaped?

It depends on what you would consider junior. I think the next person up is ~5 years worth of experience.

I wish I could answer your questions but I can't give out too much information at this point in time.

I really do appreciate your insightful questions though. There is definitely one question that I haven't asked about yet that I need to.

Originally Posted by kxk
How long have you been at your current firm? Do you have plans of going on to bschool? (alternatively, does your firm expect you to go and get the MBA in order to be promoted?)
If answers are (1) long enough and (2) yes, then definitely follow your partner, I think.

My current firm doesn't expect MBA to be promoted for one more level ahead of me. I can probably make that level in one more year if I stayed.

I'm planning on going back to school either 2012 or 2013. My dilemma is that the work is in the same category as what I'm doing now (just more interesting), but this overall industry may not be what I want to pursue post-mba.

Monaco

Reaction score
If the boss is a good leader, and you believe in his mission, yea. It is a good opportunity to start small and have a favorable position in place for when the company expands.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by level32

Would you do it?

Based on what you've said, sure. You haven't provided any reason to stick with the current job, maybe minus not having to be reliant [most likely, temporarily] on one contract.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It sounds like it might be a good deal. It depends on if you like your current firm more than you like the one guy you used to work for but if you are willing to work hard (the smaller, new firm should be a lot more work...if it isn't, it is a bad sign) the startup could be a really good move.

Does it come with any equity stake (or at least the opportunity?) In my industry, it seems like a lot of firms that branch off either fold (so the equity wouldn't matter) or have a partner who wants to cash out so they end up selling to a larger firm. It isn't internet-startup type equity gains, but it is something worth thinking about if you are in on the ground floor.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JhwkMac
Companies are many, a boss you actually like working for.. hard to find.

This is very true in my experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads