or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Living in Portland
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Living in Portland

post #1 of 59
Thread Starter 
Was just offered a job in Portland but have zero idea what it would be like living there, it's been like a decade since I last visited. What does Portland have to offer a single now-legal young adult who's entire life has been spent surrounded by Asians in Vancouver (including my family)?
post #2 of 59
Le Pigeon and hipsters
post #3 of 59
A shitton of good restaurants, some good stores and lots of rain. I just moved up here from southern Arizona for school last fall and am lovin' the city so far.
post #4 of 59
great market-driven food, friendly people and street kids, good public transit/bike friendly, lots of seedy strip clubs and a bunch of coffee drinking hippies and yuppies (in NW portland).
post #5 of 59
Weather that seems to always be 55 and overcast, high unemployment rate and the ability to wear fleece anywhere.
post #6 of 59
oregon or maine?
post #7 of 59
Thread Starter 
oregon
post #8 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post
Weather that seems to always be 55 and overcast, high unemployment rate and the ability to wear fleece anywhere.
Not really. PDX is fine. Not a happening city but not a shit box either. very clean, lots of white people, good food, great transport, well maintained and designed. Decent to good music scene. Up and coming (came?) food scene. Lots of DIY type activites and the people that love them. If you have a good job offer you could do a lot worse.
post #9 of 59
Thread Starter 
where should i be looking for apartments? the office is just between Tigard and Beaverton it seems and i'd like to live somewhere near good food, produce and transit (or a $10 cab ride from all of the fun)
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychiz View Post
where should i be looking for apartments? the office is just between Tigard and Beaverton it seems and i'd like to live somewhere near good food, produce and transit (or a $10 cab ride from all of the fun)

Don't live in Tigard or Beaverton. I think the most popular is the Pearl District, lots of restaurants and bars you can walk to there.

Caveat: I don't live in Portland. Brother lives in Portland and doesn't have good things to say about those two areas as far as living.
post #11 of 59
I grew up in Portland (Beaverton area). Tigard and Beaverton are shitty run-down towns. If you're going to live in Portland, live in Portland, downtown, or within like a 5 minute drive. You'll die of boredom unless you think rain and clouds are fun.
post #12 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
I grew up in Portland (Beaverton area). Tigard and Beaverton are shitty run-down towns. If you're going to live in Portland, live in Portland, downtown, or within like a 5 minute drive. You'll die of boredom unless you think rain and clouds are fun.

what other areas within that 5 minute drive area would you consider? nob hill seems to be the affordable choice as far as places within walking distance of the pearl
post #13 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
I grew up in Portland (Beaverton area). Tigard and Beaverton are shitty run-down towns. If you're going to live in Portland, live in Portland, downtown, or within like a 5 minute drive. You'll die of boredom unless you think rain and clouds are fun.
Hah...I grew up in beaverton in the scholls area and then bull mountain. It's good for families but yeah....live in portland. I would live in south east off hawthorne personally love the vibe out there. Commute might suck though...just saw that. X
post #14 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychiz View Post
what other areas within that 5 minute drive area would you consider? nob hill seems to be the affordable choice as far as places within walking distance of the pearl

What's "affordable"? Near the pearl there's a couple big condo buildings by the side of the river, my sister used to live there for something like 700 a month, it was very nice. I would say nob hill might be your best all-around bet.
post #15 of 59
only drawback with NW 23rd area is there is limited parking and it sucks to look for parking there. depends on where you're gonna to live though i guess if they have parking...not too familiar with living down there though. Just live somewhere near a max/streetcar line. nob hill isn't max/streetcar friendly i believe, I'd live in the pearl...its pretty nice living if you can afford.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Living in Portland