or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Just picked up a pair of Cole Haan Derby Casual, could use an opinion on the look
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just picked up a pair of Cole Haan Derby Casual, could use an opinion on the look

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
First off, this is my first post so be gentle.

I decided I need to update my wardrobe after coasting on what I've been wearing since college, things like American Eagle and and the occasional J Crew sale item. I'm 31 and I work in a "business relaxed" environment but prefer "business casual" with a tie at least once a week. I've had my eye on a set of wing tips for a while, specifically Allen Edmonds McAllister . After reading through this site the last few days...I've had second thoughts (a lot of negative comments about them). Either way, I've never owned tan shoes before, let alone wing tips, so I thought I would go with something more conservative to start.

Enter, Cole Haan Derby Causal. I picked these up at at a near by outlet mall and got an additional 20% off, so I did pretty good IMHO. But after I got them home, they seem orangish to me. Not quite tan, not quite brown.

Since I already had my camera setup, I thought I would snap a few photos with a couple pairs of pants I wear in regular rotation.

Can you guys give me your opinion? I have 10 shots in total from different views with 3 sets of pants if the thumbnails need expanding.

To be honost, they look better in the photos than they do when I look down at my feet

http://jcblitz.imgur.com/cole_haan_derby_casual



post #2 of 16
You're probably not going to get a lot of love for those shoes here, but I like them (a lot.) And if you got a great deal on them - nice job. I think they look great with khakis, jeans, or trousers. I wouldn't wear them with a suit - I am guessing that the grey pinstripe trousers are from a suit? I think the grey color is fine, but I would stick to similar color trousers with a dress shirt.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAboutPlaid View Post
You're probably not going to get a lot of love for those shoes here, but I like them (a lot.) And if you got a great deal on them - nice job. I think they look great with khakis, jeans, or trousers. I wouldn't wear them with a suit - I am guessing that the grey pinstripe trousers are from a suit? I think the grey color is fine, but I would stick to similar color trousers with a dress shirt.

Those grey pinstripes are Express producer pants. I wouldn't wear them with a suit either, they're way too casual, especially the laces.
post #4 of 16
Not a fan of Cole Haan (the AEs would have been a better choice) but those don't look terrible.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz View Post
First off, this is my first post so be gentle.

I decided I need to update my wardrobe after coasting on what I've been wearing since college, things like American Eagle and and the occasional J Crew sale item. I'm 31 and I work in a "business relaxed" environment but prefer "business casual" with a tie at least once a week. I've had my eye on a set of wing tips for a while, specifically Allen Edmonds McAllister . After reading through this site the last few days...I've had second thoughts (a lot of negative comments about them). Either way, I've never owned tan shoes before, let alone wing tips, so I thought I would go with something more conservative to start.

Enter, Cole Haan Derby Causal. I picked these up at at a near by outlet mall and got an additional 20% off, so I did pretty good IMHO. But after I got them home, they seem orangish to me. Not quite tan, not quite brown.

Since I already had my camera setup, I thought I would snap a few photos with a couple pairs of pants I wear in regular rotation.

Can you guys give me your opinion? I have 10 shots in total from different views with 3 sets of pants if the thumbnails need expanding.

To be honost, they look better in the photos than they do when I look down at my feet

http://jcblitz.imgur.com/cole_haan_derby_casual




They're fine but I'd change the laces to be darker than the shoe.
post #6 of 16
They don't look horrible (although I don't like all the contrasty bits). If you were looking for a conservative AE, the Park Ave seems to be the local favorite. (Delrays, however, are my personal favorites.)
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Asquith View Post
They're fine but I'd change the laces to be darker than the shoe.

+1 id only wear with jeans
post #8 of 16
I like em. as long as you got a deal on them i think theyre fine. ID NEVER pay retail for a pair....ever. But I see them all the time for $40-$50 on sale at a local shop. not bad at all
post #9 of 16
I like them too. They look great with jeans. Personally, I love the light laces.
post #10 of 16
I've seen several Cole Haans lately I liked. Shame the quality isn't better -- I'd have pulled the trigger on a couple of pairs.

Yours look OK to me, though very casual. I don't think I'd pair them with wool trou.
post #11 of 16
First of all, welcome.

I think those shoes are fine for a business casual look (much better for that purpose than AE Park Avenues).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAboutPlaid View Post
I think they look great with khakis, jeans, or trousers. I wouldn't wear them with a suit

Agreed, but I'd change "great" to "good".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz View Post
Those grey pinstripes are Express producer pants.

If you stick around SF for awhile and do a bit of lurking, you'll learn that casual striped pants (especially a grey or navy pinstripe) are generally frowned upon.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I like em. as long as you got a deal on them i think theyre fine. ID NEVER pay retail for a pair....ever. But I see them all the time for $40-$50 on sale at a local shop. not bad at all

At what retail store do you see that? You see $200 shoes reduced to $40?
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Asquith View Post
At what retail store do you see that? You see $200 shoes reduced to $40?

I got a pair of dirty bucks a year and a half ago at a Cole Haan outlet for $50. Sometimes you get lucky. I've been there three times since and left within 5 minutes of scanning the merchandise.
post #14 of 16
I like the look. I'd wear them with a light suit. i'm comfortable with knowing the rules and twisting them. It's good if it looks good, they don't need to be AE to have style
post #15 of 16
I like them with jeans, or khakis... not too fond of them with trousers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Just picked up a pair of Cole Haan Derby Casual, could use an opinion on the look