• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever paid for a term paper?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I seem to recall seeing ads in the back of Rolling Stone when I was in college for ghost-written term papers. Here's a modern take:

The Shadow Scholar

Anyone here every pay someone else to write a paper for them?

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I seem to recall seeing ads in the back of Rolling Stone when I was in college for ghost-written term papers. Here's a modern take:

The Shadow Scholar

Nope
My failures were and will always be utterly mine.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fascinating article. I don't see how students who do that can escape detection unless they buy all their papers. It is also remarkable how utterly pathetic the average student's writing ability is these days.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tutored throughout university. Actually... usually in courses I knew nothing of, but I could teach subjects well. (I read the text, taught the basics, had the student develop from there). I made some very good money.

I would have made a lot more if I wrote term papers. At the end of every semester, I had dozens of people approach me with this offer. Some of them ridiculously hard to turn down. (One kid, whose parents paid for literally anything he wanted, offered me 2k for a simple 15 pages essay.) There's a market for it, and there are a lot of of "bought" educations I think.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Shadow Scholar

No, but I used to write essays for people back in high school.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
No, but I used to write essays for people back in high school.

The way that schools approach cheating these days made me wary, along with the basic moral issue of the matter.

The closest to writing essays would be when I refined Business majors' presentations. I quite liked selling people on ideas, so it was good fun, and I made serious buck from it. It seems Business Administration students, by and large, are absolute crap at presenting things, understanding the impacts of words, etc. Even the Marketing majors needed help at times.... brilliant students in other ways, but just...ridiculous sometimes.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Never. Would never consider it either.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Death first.

Cheating was damned-near ubiquitous at my Uni. Pissed me off. Some of those Dean's Listers didn't deserve to be there, and a few of those who got the President's Year didn't deserve that either, which they mostly used as a way of delaying life and bedding more frosh.

~ H

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let's turn the question around: Would you write a term paper for someone else, for $1000?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. It devalues everything I and the rest of my peers that choose the honest way accomplish (or fail to). I know some people talk about things coming to a full circle, their lack of knowledge/work ethic/blahblah coming back to haunt them and all that... but really, maybe, maybe not. Odds are, you will never have to know about Marxist critique of Foucault or whatever- but the grade you received will help you regardless.
Let's turn the question around: Would you write a term paper for someone else, for $1000?
No. I couldn't perpetuate something I feel so strongly against. I've been offered $300 for a term paper before... ****, even $50 for a 4 pager, etc. Loose change can't buy a clean conscience. Now if we're talking some obscene amount of money that nobody in their right mind would ever pay for an essay; I'd have to get back to you on that.

Milpool

Reaction score
A few years ago, I remember reading an article about all the mental performance enhancing drugs people are taking to succeed. I guess it really just starts with Adderall and Ritalin. I was really unaware of how big of a demand there is for these drugs and how readily they seem to be prescribed.

These days, I'm not sure how I feel about all of this kind of stuff. I work hard, did my own work during school, and am bright, but obviously, that has gotten me nowhere.

I'm starting to think that lying, cheating, stealing, etc is probably the wisest path these days.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
I'm starting to think that lying, cheating, stealing, etc is probably the wisest path these days.

To be honest, that only works in certain ZIP Codes.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
No I can't say I ever did.... and apart from occasionally copying some math homework problems, I can't recall any cheating.

I am not against the term paper thing but I could never justify (or afford) a ghost writer.

Milpool

Reaction score
To be honest, that only works in certain ZIP Codes.

How do I know you aren't lying?

Although, Chicago seems to operate off of lying, cheating and stealing. So maybe you are right.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
The way that schools approach cheating these days made me wary, along with the basic moral issue of the matter. The closest to writing essays would be when I refined Business majors' presentations. I quite liked selling people on ideas, so it was good fun, and I made serious buck from it. It seems Business Administration students, by and large, are absolute crap at presenting things, understanding the impacts of words, etc. Even the Marketing majors needed help at times.... brilliant students in other ways, but just...ridiculous sometimes.
I don't have a lot of moral qualms when it comes to the academic system. It's a victimless crime if there is one. Punishment wasn't something I was that worried about. In most cases the dude just came to my room with a gameboy or magazine and chilled with me while I "helped" him create a presentable essay. The one sketchy situation that I got in to was writing a two page essay for a kid in class on the day that it was due. The teacher was grading assignments during the first half hour of class and the kid behind me hadn't started his paper. He handed me $60, I wrote some bullshit on Huck Finn down in twenty minutes, handed it to him to copy in his own handwriting, and business was complete. He got a 98 and I got a 96.
plain.gif
I wouldn't touch it in college. Anything I do to get a leg up in college is a function of social skills, knowing the system, and knowing how to properly work with a prof or a TA to get what you want. People don't seem to get that it's not difficult to get extra points, extensions for tests, extensions for papers, or a grade bump just beyond the curve if you can work with people. If I'm feeling lazy and have cash to throw around, I would consider having a huge paper written for me. It seems easier to buy adderall or vyvanse and just do it myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads