Originally Posted by HgaleK
Oh man, I've pulled that trick before. Turned in a paper that had the first few paragraphs written (because that's all I had
written at that point), then the rest filled with random gibberish in a font like Wingdings. To top it off, I changed the file extension to something nonsensical (funny enough, I think I changed it from .doc to .docx, which is a legitimate extension these days). It worked. Professor told me the file was corrupted, couldn't open, etc. I told him I needed to retype it from scratch, and I acted very exasperated. I got a three-day extension of my deadline. Score! In retrospect, my move was quite ballsy. The professor easily could have asked some assistant or IT person at the university to give him a hand with the file -- in which case, I would have been screwed and possibly even expelled (we had a retardedly strict honor code).