or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoo Porn Theard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoo Porn Theard - Page 110

post #1636 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Essex View Post

Same with me...all significant purchases must be vetted first. It's the price we pay for being married to incredible ladies.

Well......that's one way to handle it.

I've taken a slightly different approach. When questioned, I raise an eyebrow and simply mutter. "If you wish to buy whatever shoes YOU wish to have you are free to return to the world of earning a living."

Works like a charm.........................................

Although this method does require that we live on only one income and thus has drawbacks all it's own.
post #1637 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


The user can be focused on superficialities (all too often to the point of obsession) in a way that the maker cannot afford to be. The maker has to deal with substance.

By the same token, shouldn’t you have the courage of your conviction, be consequent and reject all the applied decoration on cowboy boots. They too, obscure the natural beauty of a piece of leather and the honest craft of the shoemaker. I presume, people who commission cowboy boots are equally focused on superficialities (all too often to the point of obsession).

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander!
post #1638 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Well......that's one way to handle it.
I've taken a slightly different approach. When questioned, I raise an eyebrow and simply mutter. "If you wish to buy whatever shoes YOU wish to have you are free to return to the world of earning a living."
Works like a charm.........................................
Although this method does require that we live on only one income and thus has drawbacks all it's own.

Indeed...such is not our present situation (although she says she'd like to retire in 10 or so years, leaving the responsibility to me to make up for the loss in her income - I fear I may never retire!).

I usually get what I want in the end, and what I want is rarely too extravagant. Certainly there will be no more $8500 home entertainment systems purchased (which I bought before we met) without some serious negotiating!
post #1639 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Essex View Post

Certainly there will be no more $8500 home entertainment systems purchased (which I bought before we met) without some serious negotiating!

i assume, you're glad you met her...
post #1640 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Essex View Post

Indeed...such is not our present situation (although she says she'd like to retire in 10 or so years, leaving the responsibility to me to make up for the loss in her income - I fear I may never retire!).
I usually get what I want in the end, and what I want is rarely too extravagant. Certainly there will be no more $8500 home entertainment systems purchased (which I bought before we met) without some serious negotiating!

I hear you......I sometimes imagine I'll never retire. Although, compared to my peers I strive to live simply so as not to become a slave to a big house, extravagant cars, etc. etc.

I don't think even I could survive a unilateral decision to buy an $8500 entertainment system. Now if I dropped that much on an unexpected vacation I'd be more than forgiven. But on 'guy things' I try to keep the bites a little smaller.

In any case - I'd rather have 5 new pairs of G&Gs!
post #1641 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Essex View Post

Certainly there will be no more $8500 home entertainment systems purchased (which I bought before we met) without some serious negotiating!

i assume, you're glad you met her...

Very much so...
post #1642 of 11790
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Essex View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i have, but my wife is too perceptive. she notices every time i wear something new. ties, shoes, shirts...you name it.

Same with me...all significant purchases must be vetted first. It's the price we pay for being married to incredible ladies.

Damn!!
post #1643 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Essex View Post

Indeed...such is not our present situation (although she says she'd like to retire in 10 or so years, leaving the responsibility to me to make up for the loss in her income - I fear I may never retire!).
I usually get what I want in the end, and what I want is rarely too extravagant. Certainly there will be no more $8500 home entertainment systems purchased (which I bought before we met) without some serious negotiating!

I hear you......I sometimes imagine I'll never retire. Although, compared to my peers I strive to live simply so as not to become a slave to a big house, extravagant cars, etc. etc.

I don't think even I could survive a unilateral decision to buy an $8500 entertainment system. Now if I dropped that much on an unexpected vacation I'd be more than forgiven. But on 'guy things' I try to keep the bites a little smaller.

In any case - I'd rather have 5 new pairs of G&Gs!

Fortunately, I have most of what I want - except clothing and footwear. However, most of those pieces are much more manageable, and can be accumulated over years, rather than all at once.
post #1644 of 11790
My Hoves...

I made a review on my blog, but it's in spanish.

I think that these are the best pair of Norwegians I have ever had.:

469
post #1645 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Well......that's one way to handle it.
I've taken a slightly different approach. When questioned, I raise an eyebrow and simply mutter. "If you wish to buy whatever shoes YOU wish to have you are free to return to the world of earning a living."
Works like a charm.........................................
Although this method does require that we live on only one income and thus has drawbacks all it's own.

I've gotta say, any woman that would accept this kind of talk is probably not worth being with in the first place. Maybe in 1940, but in the 2000's, it's MUCH better to have a woman that "Don't Take No Shit" from ANYONE (including her husband).

When the sh*t hits the fan, and You need real back-up, a woman without "balls" simply can't and won't be there to do what needs to be done...
post #1646 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

i assume, you're glad you met her...

When the lady is worth it, SOME things become less important, replaced by "better & more important". Without my wife, I would've spent all my money on stupid crap a looooong time ago. Often she's the voice of reason.

Of course, the logic above does NOT apply to Fine Shoe Purchases!!!
post #1647 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Well......that's one way to handle it.
I've taken a slightly different approach. When questioned, I raise an eyebrow and simply mutter. "If you wish to buy whatever shoes YOU wish to have you are free to return to the world of earning a living."
Works like a charm.........................................
Although this method does require that we live on only one income and thus has drawbacks all it's own.

WOW - a fine, retro attitude - keeps 'em in thar place.
post #1648 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

That's the difference...
The user seldom sees or considers any of this and as a result his/her understanding is not only incomplete it is superficial.
All that said, I'm not a scientist either...I'm just interested at a level that some cannot muster and prefer to rely on logic and experience than half-baked opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


The user can be focused on superficialities (all too often to the point of obsession) in a way that the maker cannot afford to be. The maker has to deal with substance.

With respect to your experience in shoe making, you are in fact talking to users with their own experience and, if some, like fritzl, find that they've had suede shoes and boots that have held up to their expectations, who can gainsay them?

The user's experience is a perfectly valid way to make his judgements on what he likes and how well his suede has held up, nicht wahr?
post #1649 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post

WOW - a fine, retro attitude - keeps 'em in thar place.

one needs to make a certain amount of coin to get away with that.

i recall an actor/comedian i think ray romano saying the following;

"whenever my wife complains to me about kissing other women on screen i tell her to go cry in the giant sack money i made for her"
post #1650 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post

With respect to your experience in shoe making, you are in fact talking to users with their own experience and, if some, like fritzl, find that they've had suede shoes and boots that have held up to their expectations, who can gainsay them?
The user's experience is a perfectly valid way to make his judgements on what he likes and how well his suede has held up, nicht wahr?

What you say is true to an extent. HOWEVER, DWF always brings a unique perspective to the table. To have held the leather in your hands, long before it becomes a pair of shoes is invaluable to help properly understand what is what.

He's like a mechanic who tells you which car is "best" based on the inner workings, etc. When it comes to finish & style, obviously the end user/ consumer's opinion is what REALLY matters. The suede info is very useful, I think. He makes the point that "most" suede (in the modern shoe world) may well prove to be less long-lasting than, say, calf. Fritzl had a good experience. I have had some good ones as well. BUT, for aomeone who's looking to buy a pair with no experience, DWF's info is fabulous.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoo Porn Theard