Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Gaziano & Girling St James II Cedar/Kudu GMTO Last post on 11/9/15 at 6:58pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on 12/14/16 at 11:47am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 1:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on Yesterday at 3:00 am in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 477post #7142 of 220232/5/13 at 10:18pmpost #7143 of 220232/5/13 at 10:19pmpost #7144 of 220232/5/13 at 10:21pm
They are comfortable, especially in warmer climates, they are easy to put on and take off should circumstances or culture require, and we all have our personal tastes - for some, they are aesthetically appealing.
I would ask the opposite question: why would one buy a nice pair of shoes, of any kind (especially an expensive pair like G&G), and treat them so badly as to wear them without socks?post #7145 of 220232/5/13 at 10:34pmpost #7146 of 220232/5/13 at 10:41pmpost #7147 of 220232/5/13 at 10:45pmpost #7148 of 220232/5/13 at 11:24pm
Well, I normally wear socks that do not intrude above the shoeline so odour is not a problem.
My question was not whetehr one can wear loafers in general, sockless...I know that's a yes.
I was wondering if the G&G Antibes would look shabby or weird when worn without socks...as it is a pretty distinct looking shoe, as opposed to a penny loafer.post #7149 of 220232/6/13 at 12:44amQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Apposite that they should be paired with short, very narrow trousers. Really rather makes my point: this is not "classic menswear", but merely a fad among hipster poseurs.
Fashion is for teenaged girls, gentlemen. This is the Style Forum.
P.S. The loafers themselves are delightful.
This is simply traditional menswear under the classification of the larger category of classic menswear. I grew up in Newport, land of sock less loafers and it goes something like this.
Grade school, trad pennies
Prep school, pennies or tassels
College, less pennies, mostly tassels or perhaps low vamp dressier loafers.
Post college and or post grad is where the Gucci bit loafer steps in. Mostly seen at casual social events, hanging around the club, summer casual weddings etc.
Wearing a pair of bit loafers sock less in a business setting is often telegraphing that the youngster thinks he is actually in charge, which sometimes he is.
This is by no means a strict schedule however bit loafers are generally thought of as post grad. In these circles this is not considered fashion but rather tradition.
You get the idea but I am loosing it, bed time now.
The shoe Fiddler references do not have a place in the scenario I am describing.post #7150 of 220232/6/13 at 1:46am
A modern local tradition it may be, but classic menswear, I maintain it's not. And Gucci horsebits are vile in my opinion, as is anything with a logo on the outside.
But I know this is an unwinnable argument - fashion is an indomitable beast. I'd just add that everything I've said applies especially to G&G's lovely loafers - in my view. Thanks for taking the trouble to debate with care and erudition - that was an excellent post if I may say so. Anyway, good night!
By the way, the penultimate picture in your interesting summary is rather nice, if a little staid. What is it? It looks welted and rather serious - definitely a loafer in need of socks!post #7151 of 220232/6/13 at 3:47amQuote:Quote:Quote:
Ok....so that's a no. Very helpful thanks. I myself suspected that might be the case which is why I thought it might be an idea to ask.post #7152 of 220232/6/13 at 5:43ampost #7153 of 220232/6/13 at 7:43ampost #7154 of 220232/6/13 at 7:49amQuote:
This is my experience, tried it once. The leather sticking to my skin made it unbearable. I experience no trouble wearing loafers with socks in Florida, year round.post #7155 of 220232/6/13 at 8:32am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 26 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 56 seconds ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 8 minutes ago
- › Aubercy Shoes - My Best Paris Experience 8 minutes ago
- › Grant Stone - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 9 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford Suit - Filleted and Gutted 9 minutes ago
- › + DRIES VAN NOTEN + 13 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...