Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Gaziano & Girling St James II Cedar/Kudu GMTO Last post on 11/9/15 at 6:58pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on 11/18/15 at 9:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on 11/26/15 at 1:58pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn StyleLast edited: 10/14/15
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 477
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7142 of 185772/5/13 at 10:18pmpost #7143 of 185772/5/13 at 10:19pmpost #7144 of 185772/5/13 at 10:21pm
They are comfortable, especially in warmer climates, they are easy to put on and take off should circumstances or culture require, and we all have our personal tastes - for some, they are aesthetically appealing.
I would ask the opposite question: why would one buy a nice pair of shoes, of any kind (especially an expensive pair like G&G), and treat them so badly as to wear them without socks?post #7145 of 185772/5/13 at 10:34pmpost #7146 of 185772/5/13 at 10:41pmpost #7147 of 185772/5/13 at 10:45pmpost #7148 of 185772/5/13 at 11:24pm
Well, I normally wear socks that do not intrude above the shoeline so odour is not a problem.
My question was not whetehr one can wear loafers in general, sockless...I know that's a yes.
I was wondering if the G&G Antibes would look shabby or weird when worn without socks...as it is a pretty distinct looking shoe, as opposed to a penny loafer.post #7149 of 185772/6/13 at 12:44amQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Apposite that they should be paired with short, very narrow trousers. Really rather makes my point: this is not "classic menswear", but merely a fad among hipster poseurs.
Fashion is for teenaged girls, gentlemen. This is the Style Forum.
P.S. The loafers themselves are delightful.
This is simply traditional menswear under the classification of the larger category of classic menswear. I grew up in Newport, land of sock less loafers and it goes something like this.
Grade school, trad pennies
Prep school, pennies or tassels
College, less pennies, mostly tassels or perhaps low vamp dressier loafers.
Post college and or post grad is where the Gucci bit loafer steps in. Mostly seen at casual social events, hanging around the club, summer casual weddings etc.
Wearing a pair of bit loafers sock less in a business setting is often telegraphing that the youngster thinks he is actually in charge, which sometimes he is.
This is by no means a strict schedule however bit loafers are generally thought of as post grad. In these circles this is not considered fashion but rather tradition.
You get the idea but I am loosing it, bed time now.
The shoe Fiddler references do not have a place in the scenario I am describing.post #7150 of 185772/6/13 at 1:46am
A modern local tradition it may be, but classic menswear, I maintain it's not. And Gucci horsebits are vile in my opinion, as is anything with a logo on the outside.
But I know this is an unwinnable argument - fashion is an indomitable beast. I'd just add that everything I've said applies especially to G&G's lovely loafers - in my view. Thanks for taking the trouble to debate with care and erudition - that was an excellent post if I may say so. Anyway, good night!
By the way, the penultimate picture in your interesting summary is rather nice, if a little staid. What is it? It looks welted and rather serious - definitely a loafer in need of socks!post #7151 of 185772/6/13 at 3:47amQuote:Quote:Quote:
Ok....so that's a no. Very helpful thanks. I myself suspected that might be the case which is why I thought it might be an idea to ask.post #7152 of 185772/6/13 at 5:43ampost #7153 of 185772/6/13 at 7:43ampost #7154 of 185772/6/13 at 7:49amQuote:
This is my experience, tried it once. The leather sticking to my skin made it unbearable. I experience no trouble wearing loafers with socks in Florida, year round.post #7155 of 185772/6/13 at 8:32am
- Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › FS: Big John Rare 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › Official 2015-2016 college football thread 13 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 20 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing,... 29 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 33 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 37 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 40 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 41 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 45 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories