or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 208

post #3106 of 21764

But Gdot you wrote G&G are not totally handmade, aren't they crazy.gif?

post #3107 of 21764
They are machine welted (Goodyear). As are the vast majority of the RTW brands mentioned above.

I believe the uppers are machine stitched - but I'm not certain. (Human hands guide both of these processes).

Truly handmade shoes are hand welted and hand stitched.

But we are getting into territory in which my knowledge is limited so I'm going to bow out.

Do not worry - your G&Gs are the top of line quality for what they are - your money has been very well spent.
post #3108 of 21764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Beyond G&G your choices become pretty limited:
Ready to wear you can look at Edward Green, and John Lobb amongst the major English makers.
Vass are totally handmade (G&G is not)
St. Crispen's are excellent.
Corthay, Berluti and JM Weston from France.
Top of the line Sutor Mantellasi from Italy.
Each have their own aesthetic.
Help me out guys.......who else can compare to G&G in terms of RTW.

I was checking some Salvatore Ferragamo Tramezza in NYC a couple of weeks ago that looked great but they were too expensive ($1,900 & up)
post #3109 of 21764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir F View Post



I figured that. I just want to throw away my C&J shoes after touching the G&G. But what other brands are in the same class as G&G and quality wise or even better if there is. Or it's going bespoke?

I have 3 pair of Carmina and i think they are very good value compared to others in that price range. Then i like them because they offer a wide range of shoes and many models that you don¬īt see from makers like C&J. I don¬īt own a shell shoe yet but when i buy my first, it will be from Carmina.
post #3110 of 21764
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

I have Carmina and G&G shoes. I love them both. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The G&Gs are definitely a higher level of quality...it's hard for me to explain exactly why, not being a shoe expert, but you can tell the difference in handling the shoes. But that said, Carminas are gorgeous shoes. They feel and look great. The G&Gs just have an additional level of artistry and poetry in them.

your statement makes me curious, as i don't have access to g&g to check them out, if they are for me...
post #3111 of 21764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Beyond G&G your choices become pretty limited:

Ready to wear you can look at Edward Green, and John Lobb amongst the major English makers.

Vass are totally handmade (G&G is not)

St. Crispen's are excellent.

Corthay, Berluti and JM Weston from France.

Top of the line Sutor Mantellasi from Italy.

Each have their own aesthetic.

Help me out guys.......who else can compare to G&G in terms of RTW.

Lattanzi RTW is supposedly made to bespoke standards. The RTW is more expensive than GG. Kiton is also quite expensive but I don't like the design.
post #3112 of 21764
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Beyond G&G your choices become pretty limited:

Ready to wear you can look at Edward Green, and John Lobb amongst the major English makers.

Vass are totally handmade (G&G is not)

St. Crispen's are excellent.

Corthay, Berluti and JM Weston from France.

Top of the line Sutor Mantellasi from Italy.

Each have their own aesthetic.

Help me out guys.......who else can compare to G&G in terms of RTW.

Lattanzi RTW is supposedly made to bespoke standards. The RTW is more expensive than GG. Kiton is also quite expensive but I don't like the design.

the RTW/MTM lines of materna, balint, maftei, petkov and several other viennese makers for instance are pretty remarkable, if i may say.
post #3113 of 21764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

They are machine welted (Goodyear). As are the vast majority of the RTW brands mentioned above.
I believe the uppers are machine stitched - but I'm not certain. (Human hands guide both of these processes).
Truly handmade shoes are hand welted and hand stitched.
But we are getting into territory in which my knowledge is limited so I'm going to bow out.
Do not worry - your G&Gs are the top of line quality for what they are - your money has been very well spent.


I see, thanks for your help. Will wear them for the first time tomorrow and see how they feel :) A new world for me!

 

 

 

post #3114 of 21764
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

your statement makes me curious, as i don't have access to g&g to check them out, if they are for me...

They aren't, trust me.
post #3115 of 21764
oh hai guise. does anyone have my G&Gs, i cant seem to get my hands on them. frown.gif
post #3116 of 21764
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

They aren't, trust me.

absolutely. thanks for the time saver.

what's about stitch? no offense.
post #3117 of 21764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post

My ever-growing collection of G & G. From left to right: Oxford (Espresso calf), Hanley (Vintage Cherry), Gable (Vintage Oak), Kent (Black Calf & Black Suede), Wigmore (Highland Burgundy + Vintage Rioja), Gable (Racing Green), Grant (Vintage Rioja), Bowlly (Deco Black), Kent and Astair.

.350x263px-LL-e3bc9860_IMG_0570.jpeg350x263px-LL-73a89ba8_IMG_0573.jpeg

epic collection, sir
post #3118 of 21764

Guys i'm walking around in the office in my new G&G, all I can say oh-my-god.. it's pure sex. They are incredibly comfortable can't even describe it, feels like training shoes.

 

I'm so in love I think I will donate my other shoes, will never use them anymore..

post #3119 of 21764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post

My ever-growing collection of G & G. From left to right: Oxford (Espresso Calf), Hanley (Vintage Cherry), Gable (Vintage Oak), Kent (Black Calf & Black Suede), Wigmore (Highland Burgundy + Vintage Rioja), Gable (Vintage Racing Green), Grant (Vintage Rioja), Bowlly (Deco Black), Kent (Vintage Cedar + Polo Suede) and Astair (Pin Grain + Mole Suede).
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
.350x263px-LL-e3bc9860_IMG_0570.jpeg350x263px-LL-73a89ba8_IMG_0573.jpeg


I am green with envy.

alien.gif

That's a fine collection, sir.
post #3120 of 21764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

I am green with envy.
alien.gif
That's a fine collection, sir.

+1! Great collection, what's with the picnic blanket though?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)