Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Gaziano & Girling St James II Cedar/Kudu GMTO Last post on 11/9/15 at 6:58pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on 12/14/16 at 11:47am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:40 pm in Classic Menswear
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on 1/20/17 at 3:00am in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 1356post #20326 of 220275/14/16 at 1:09pmpost #20327 of 220275/14/16 at 1:14pmQuote:
How does that work? They last the boots with something extra in the instep to stretch them a bit?post #20328 of 220275/14/16 at 2:01pmQuote:
Boots on the same Last tend to be more roomy than shoes. However Derbies regardless of being shoes or boots are more forgiving when it comes to the instep because they are opened laced and have more give than oxfords which are closed laced.post #20329 of 220275/14/16 at 2:09pmpost #20330 of 220275/14/16 at 2:17pmQuote:
I have, generally I have not found it to be enough that I have ever needed to worry about it. However I was able to fit into a D width EG 82 in a boot when I know I could never do so in a shoe. But a 82 E in a boot works for me as well. Just because I have found some boots roomier doesn't mean for the most part that its enough to justify another size. Besides any size change would kind of depend how snug or loose that size is for you to begin with.post #20331 of 220275/14/16 at 2:20pmQuote:Make sense I tried F 8.5uk I normally take 9uk E.Originally Posted by dddrees
I have, generally I have not found it to be enough that I have ever needed to worry about it. However I was able to fit into a D width EG 82 in a boot when I know I could never do so in a shoe. But a 82 E in a boot works for me as well. Just because I have found some boots roomier doesn't mean for the most part that its enough to justify another size. Besides any size change would kind of depend how snug or loose that size is for you to begin with.post #20332 of 220275/14/16 at 2:24pmpost #20333 of 220275/14/16 at 5:58pm
Corniche on deco. I'm considering these as a relatively inexpensive way to assess the deco last (fit & aesthetic). But I'm sitting on the fence as to whether this tassel style loafer suits the deco. So gents, over to you.👍 Or 👎
Edited by benf - 5/14/16 at 11:38pmpost #20334 of 220275/14/16 at 6:20pmQuote:FWIW, I've found that the way you lace oxfords can make a small but noticeable difference to the instep fit.Originally Posted by tdes81
So I'm absolutely in love with my kudu thorpes, and now am pondering getting a pair of Lamports (most likely in vintage rioja). I've heard that all the G&G lasts fit essentially the same, but just wanted to double check on that as my high instep has given me issues in the past. The MH71 these thorpes are on fit very nicely, so if I went with the TG73 on a pair of Lamports in the same size I shouldn't have to worry about instep issues?
As an aside, these Thorpes are treating me quite nicely on an otherwise gloomy, snowy, and hail-y north dakota day. What a fantastic boot!
Edited by benf - 5/14/16 at 11:36pmpost #20335 of 220275/14/16 at 11:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by benf
FWIW, I've found that the way you lace the oxfords can make a small but noticeable difference to the instep.
^ Good point. This is also a helpful resource:
I didn't realise until I read this that lacing can be used to make small adjustments to fit. In particular, there are lacing patterns - called "Gap," "Straight Bar," and "Straight Easy" here - which can relieve pressure on a high instep by reducing the quantity of lace beneath the facings.post #20336 of 220275/15/16 at 2:27amQuote:Originally Posted by benf
Gents, I'm pondering whether to get the Arran chukka boots in mole suede. Probably the (main) sticking point is that it comes with a double leather sole. Have little experience with this since all my shoes are single leather. Can understand how double leather may be seen as an alternative to Dainite under certain conditions (aesthetic aside) but it doesn't apply to me since I don't walk a lot and I live in a mild climate. Plan to wear them with chinos, jeans and the occasional (casual) suit.
If anyone has experience with double soles, can I ask for your experience wrt:
- does it feel much weightier?
- less comfortable on the feet or same?
- takes longer to break-in?
- aesthetic wise does it become too casual (see above)?
I have the Barclay in the rubber sole (the G&G original - suddenly forget the name), and its the most comfortable shoe i have. I have the Kudu Isham in double sole, and I find it very stiff, so much so that there is no way I could walk for a few hours, whereas the rubber sole could last me all day. I also find it so stiff as to need a steel protector, or it will just wear through at the toe in no time. Big difference IMHO between a rubber, single and double leather...post #20337 of 220275/15/16 at 11:16amQuote:
Definitely. Although I found that my kudu Thropes have the facings align quite nicely which would lend me to think that the instep is okay - whereas on other boots where Ive had instep issues the facings would be wider apart and not line up parallel.
Would you say the instep is the same across all the G&G lasts? Or do some have more room in the instep than others?post #20338 of 220275/15/16 at 11:25am
Does anyone have advice on self-applied Tomir or similar soles or good cobbler service in the US that will accept and ship back shoes? I love the elegance of G&G oak soles, but after a few years, they are showing serious wear in places, probably due to my particular gait. I would like to put something more durable on, but I don't trust any local cobblers to do it right, and I don't want to send shoes back to G&G due to cost. Thoughts are appreciated.post #20339 of 220275/15/16 at 11:30ampost #20340 of 220275/15/16 at 11:34amQuote:Originally Posted by armsignet
Does anyone have advice on self-applied Tomir or similar soles or good cobbler service in the US that will accept and ship back shoes? I love the elegance of G&G oak soles, but after a few years, they are showing serious wear in places, probably due to my particular gait. I would like to put something more durable on, but I don't trust any local cobblers to do it right, and I don't want to send shoes back to G&G due to cost. Thoughts are appreciated.
B Nelson is your best bet. I would bet his shop is capable of putting topy that keeps the current shape of the beveled waist. Send them a photo like this and ask if they can do it.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 5 seconds ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 26 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 39 seconds ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 50 seconds ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Loake Petworth - Black Chelsea Boots, Size 7.5" 4 minutes ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 5 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...