or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 1356

post #20326 of 21771
Since I have low instep lol I love gg & deco last 😀
post #20327 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc1 View Post


Bear in mind derby styles like the Thorpe are more forgiving in the instep than oxford/balmoral styles. If you're doing an MTO you can ask for an instep insert to help with the closing of the laces. That's what I've done on all my G&G's.


How does that work? They last the boots with something extra in the instep to stretch them a bit?

post #20328 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdes81 View Post
 


How does that work? They last the boots with something extra in the instep to stretch them a bit? 

Boots on the same Last tend to be more roomy than shoes. However Derbies regardless of being shoes or boots are more forgiving when it comes to the instep because they are opened laced and have more give than oxfords which are closed laced.

post #20329 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Boots on the same Last tend to be more roomy than shoes. However Derbies regardless of being shoes or boots are more forgiving when it comes to the instep because they are opened laced and have more give than oxfords which are closed laced.
You should still stick to same size as shoes correct for your derby boot regardless of last?
post #20330 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post


You should still stick to same size as shoes correct for your derby boot regardless of last?

I have, generally I have not found it to be enough that I have ever needed to worry about it. However I was able to fit into a D width EG 82 in a boot when I know I could never do so in a shoe. But a 82 E in a boot works for me as well. Just because I have found some boots roomier doesn't mean for the most part that its enough to justify another size. Besides any size change would kind of depend how snug or loose that size is for you to begin with.

post #20331 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

I have, generally I have not found it to be enough that I have ever needed to worry about it. However I was able to fit into a D width EG 82 in a boot when I know I could never do so in a shoe. But a 82 E in a boot works for me as well. Just because I have found some boots roomier doesn't mean for the most part that its enough to justify another size. Besides any size change would kind of depend how snug or loose that size is for you to begin with.
Make sense I tried F 8.5uk I normally take 9uk E.
post #20332 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post


Make sense I tried F 8.5uk I normally take 9uk E.

Actually in my case the length was the same the only difference was the width. I neither found either to narrow or the other too wide.

post #20333 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc1 View Post

This x1000000. Protect your investment.

Corniche on deco. I'm considering these as a relatively inexpensive way to assess the deco last (fit & aesthetic). But I'm sitting on the fence as to whether this tassel style loafer suits the deco. So gents, over to you.👍 Or 👎

Edited by benf - 5/14/16 at 11:38pm
post #20334 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdes81 View Post

So I'm absolutely in love with my kudu thorpes, and now am pondering getting a pair of Lamports (most likely in vintage rioja). I've heard that all the G&G lasts fit essentially the same, but just wanted to double check on that as my high instep has given me issues in the past.  The MH71 these thorpes are on fit very nicely, so if I went with the TG73 on a pair of Lamports in the same size I shouldn't have to worry about instep issues?

As an aside, these Thorpes are treating me quite nicely on an otherwise gloomy, snowy, and hail-y north dakota day.  What a fantastic boot!


FWIW, I've found that the way you lace oxfords can make a small but noticeable difference to the instep fit.
Straight lacing:
http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/lace-oxfords-dress-shoes/
Edited by benf - 5/14/16 at 11:36pm
post #20335 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post

FWIW, I've found that the way you lace the oxfords can make a small but noticeable difference to the instep.
Straight lacing:
http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/lace-oxfords-dress-shoes/

^ Good point. This is also a helpful resource:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

I didn't realise until I read this that lacing can be used to make small adjustments to fit. In particular, there are lacing patterns - called "Gap," "Straight Bar," and "Straight Easy" here - which can relieve pressure on a high instep by reducing the quantity of lace beneath the facings.
post #20336 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post

Gents, I'm pondering whether to get the Arran chukka boots in mole suede. Probably the (main) sticking point is that it comes with a double leather sole. Have little experience with this since all my shoes are single leather. Can understand how double leather may be seen as an alternative to Dainite under certain conditions (aesthetic aside) but it doesn't apply to me since I don't walk a lot and I live in a mild climate. Plan to wear them with chinos, jeans and the occasional (casual) suit.

If anyone has experience with double soles, can I ask for your experience wrt:
- does it feel much weightier?
- less comfortable on the feet or same?
- takes longer to break-in?
- aesthetic wise does it become too casual (see above)?


 

I have the Barclay in the rubber sole (the G&G original - suddenly forget the name), and its the most comfortable shoe i have. I have the Kudu Isham in double sole, and I find it very stiff, so much so that there is no way I could walk for a few hours, whereas the rubber sole could last me all day. I also find it so stiff as to need a steel protector, or it will just wear through at the toe in no time. Big difference IMHO between a rubber, single and double leather...

post #20337 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
 

Boots on the same Last tend to be more roomy than shoes. However Derbies regardless of being shoes or boots are more forgiving when it comes to the instep because they are opened laced and have more give than oxfords which are closed laced.


Definitely.  Although I found that my kudu Thropes have the facings align quite nicely which would lend me to think that the instep is okay - whereas on other boots where Ive had instep issues the facings would be wider apart and not line up parallel.

 

Would you say the instep is the same across all the G&G lasts? Or do some have more room in the instep than others?

post #20338 of 21771

Does anyone have advice on self-applied Tomir or similar soles or good cobbler service in the US that will accept and ship back shoes?  I love the elegance of G&G oak soles, but after a few years, they are showing serious wear in places, probably due to my particular gait.  I would like to put something more durable on, but I don't trust any local cobblers to do it right, and I don't want to send shoes back to G&G due to cost.  Thoughts are appreciated.

post #20339 of 21771
I would suggest you wait until they need refurbishment and then send them to GG for recrafting and request topy.
GG does topy like no other.
post #20340 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by armsignet View Post
 

Does anyone have advice on self-applied Tomir or similar soles or good cobbler service in the US that will accept and ship back shoes?  I love the elegance of G&G oak soles, but after a few years, they are showing serious wear in places, probably due to my particular gait.  I would like to put something more durable on, but I don't trust any local cobblers to do it right, and I don't want to send shoes back to G&G due to cost.  Thoughts are appreciated.

 

B Nelson is your best bet. I would bet his shop is capable of putting topy that keeps the current shape of the beveled waist. Send them a photo like this and ask if they can do it. 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)