or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 1243

post #18631 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

Hey standard G&G new tree are not lasted & one tree fits all. So it's just a preference on what you want G&G or other tree. It's totally up to you personally I go with the maker tree. In this case G&G. Hope it helps biggrin.gif

My understanding is that they are lasted up until the toe which is generic. Nick from Bespoke England said that they were "cut to the last" if I'm remembering correctly. This doesn't apply to the Deco last though which is obviously different.
post #18632 of 21771
Not normally one to post everything I buy but these gorgeous babies are ready for collection at the row. My first G&G shoe not on Dg70. I was tempted to get them on my usual last but you can't have everything the same can you.

post #18633 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamjonzey View Post

Not normally one to post everything I buy but these gorgeous babies are ready for collection at the row. My first G&G shoe not on Dg70. I was tempted to get them on my usual last but you can't have everything the same can you.

 

Outstanding! 

post #18634 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

My two cent is get Sinatra & call it a day you will not regret it. That is one black shoe I own & love them.

Hi Ttown, thanks for the recommendation. I'm also not a fan of wholecuts either. Wingtips are my favorite, and for black, I prefer captoes. But again, I'm drawn to the Deco Wilde, I love how the quarters raise up directly from below, kinda like wings! If I were to get another pair of black dress shoes, it could be these. For now, I wear a pair of black Carmina Oxford captoes when the outfit and mood strike me.

Or my black velvet slippers when I'm feeling decadent biggrin.gif
post #18635 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cash View Post

You could possibly go for Sinatra on the Deco last which would mean you would have the "normal" leather rather than the "Deco leather"?

Deco leather is wonderful to touch and creases much more uniformly but to be honest is not the best for a pair of shoes - if anything it is too fine. My St. James II suffered a massive scratch the full length of the shoe when the dog ran along my feet and this just polished out with some Saphir. On the flip-side the Deco leather has physically been damaged by something that I did not even feel and still am not sure how it happened. Luckily being black it is mostly well hidden but nevertheless something that is worth considering.

I have been thinking about the shoe tree issue I raised earlier on in the thread and I think that the black deco trees should be supplied with the Deco range but the natural tree would be for orders where one of their regular shoes are requested on the Deco last.

Does this sound likely?

I did not realize that G&G uses different "Deco" leather as opposed to the "standard" MTO line. Hmmmm... that Walkton with Rioja and Pearl is looking like a winner over a black calf Deco Wilde...
post #18636 of 21771
No problem biggrin.gif
post #18637 of 21771
Fairly confident deco leather and regular leather are the same. Deco is a different last and a bit more finishing from what I understand. I could be wrong though
post #18638 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post

Fairly confident deco leather and regular leather are the same. Deco is a different last and a bit more finishing from what I understand. I could be wrong though


I have heard the same that it is just the last and finer finishing, like the polishing/burnishing, tighter waste, fine stitching, etc.

post #18639 of 21771

I was sure I had read it somewhere but cannot now find it.

 

Conversely, I have stumbled upon this link...

 

http://forthediscerningfew.com/2013/08/19/interview-with-tony-gaziano-master-shoemaker-and-co-founder-of-gaziano-girling/

 

...which 100% contradicts what I said earlier so I apologize for the confusion. I does seem odd to me to me that bespoke leather would be of the same quality but there you have it - from the horses mouth as it were.

 

I still maintain however that my Holdens are much softer than my St. James II so this is presumably down to luck of the draw and the fact that leather is a natural material with inevitable variations from skin to skin.

post #18640 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cash View Post

I was sure I had read it somewhere but cannot now find it.

Conversely, I have stumbled upon this link...

http://forthediscerningfew.com/2013/08/19/interview-with-tony-gaziano-master-shoemaker-and-co-founder-of-gaziano-girling/

...which 100% contradicts what I said earlier so I apologize for the confusion. I does seem odd to me to me that bespoke leather would be of the same quality but there you have it - from the horses mouth as it were.

I still maintain however that my Holdens are much softer than my St. James II so this is presumably down to luck of the draw and the fact that leather is a natural material with inevitable variations from skin to skin.

Have you considered the possibility that the St J was produced with sub standard leather quality ?

(Jk biggrin.gif)
post #18641 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStart View Post


Have you considered the possibility that the St J was produced with sub standard leather quality ?

(Jk biggrin.gif)

 

I hadn't considered that possibility no.

post #18642 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post

Fairly confident deco leather and regular leather are the same. Deco is a different last and a bit more finishing from what I understand. I could be wrong though
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post


I have heard the same that it is just the last and finer finishing, like the polishing/burnishing, tighter waste, fine stitching, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cash View Post

I was sure I had read it somewhere but cannot now find it.

Conversely, I have stumbled upon this link...

http://forthediscerningfew.com/2013/08/19/interview-with-tony-gaziano-master-shoemaker-and-co-founder-of-gaziano-girling/

...which 100% contradicts what I said earlier so I apologize for the confusion. I does seem odd to me to me that bespoke leather would be of the same quality but there you have it - from the horses mouth as it were.

I still maintain however that my Holdens are much softer than my St. James II so this is presumably down to luck of the draw and the fact that leather is a natural material with inevitable variations from skin to skin.

D'oh! So it's back Wilde vs. Walkton when I decide to go for my next G&G...
post #18643 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easily Amused View Post




D'oh! So it's back Wilde vs. Walkton when I decide to go for my next G&G...


and if this helps at all, I have compared Deco and normal MTO shoes side by side. They really do feel the same, but you can see the difference in the aesthetics from the different last as well as the other extra handwork. 

 

The big factors to consider are if you like the last enough, if that last will fit you well, and if the extra charge is worth it to you. In my opinion, it can be worth it for certain styles, but for most styles the RTW / MTO are more than enough. 

post #18644 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easily Amused View Post



D'oh! So it's back Wilde vs. Walkton when I decide to go for my next G&G...
I say go for Wilde you got kudu walkton coming lol
post #18645 of 21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cash View Post
 

I was sure I had read it somewhere but cannot now find it.

 

Conversely, I have stumbled upon this link...

 

http://forthediscerningfew.com/2013/08/19/interview-with-tony-gaziano-master-shoemaker-and-co-founder-of-gaziano-girling/

 

...which 100% contradicts what I said earlier so I apologize for the confusion. I does seem odd to me to me that bespoke leather would be of the same quality but there you have it - from the horses mouth as it were.

 

I still maintain however that my Holdens are much softer than my St. James II so this is presumably down to luck of the draw and the fact that leather is a natural material with inevitable variations from skin to skin.


Could be due to deco's elongated last. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)