or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 1231

post #18451 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Fabulous, Congrats!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrel42 View Post

Quote:
Fabulous choice Sir! Congratulations !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post

Nice boots, congrats!!.  I like blind eyelets very much for that make up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

Very nice indeed know I see why you didn't go for oak kudu.

Cheers gents. cheers.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post

Are they too tight on the instep?.  E width? Could you please commentate your fitting  on the MH71 last,for that boot?. Thanks

They're E width - I took a halfsize up to 10E relative to my dress shoes to accommodate thicker socks. As far as instep, the derby-style open lacing is much more forgiving than the closed lacing of my dress shoes, which are all oxford styles - in all my dress shoes I've always asked for an "instep cone" to make the last a bit more generous on the instep to minimise the dreaded V-gap. I don't want a full closure on the Thorpes anyway - for derby styles I like a gap that's fairly consistent in width, for oxford styles I like it as small as possible without the facings actually meeting.
post #18452 of 21785
grc1 so it's safe to say to take same size as my tg73 st James last shoes for thrope kudu?
post #18453 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc1 View Post
Cheers gents. cheers.gif
They're E width - I took a halfsize up to 10E relative to my dress shoes to accommodate thicker socks. As far as instep, the derby-style open lacing is much more forgiving than the closed lacing of my dress shoes, which are all oxford styles - in all my dress shoes I've always asked for an "instep cone" to make the last a bit more generous on the instep to minimise the dreaded V-gap. I don't want a full closure on the Thorpes anyway - for derby styles I like a gap that's fairly consistent in width, for oxford styles I like it as small as possible without the facings actually meeting.

Happy to hear that  E widht is good for you.  Thanks.

post #18454 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

grc1 so it's safe to say to take same size as my tg73 st James last shoes for thrope kudu?

If you're happy with the fit of your St James and plan to wear the Thorpes in much the same way, then I'd say yes, IMO.

It's all down to personal taste - for me, dress shoes need to be very snug (especially when you're talking deco last!) to keep the creasing/bubbling to a minimum, have a sleek look and avoid looking like clown shoes. With boots, I'm more relaxed - lasts like MH71 or TG73 are more forgiving, and for the Thorpes I think a bit more "give" in terms of fit is appropriate considering the more rugged styling. Hence my ordering a half-size up to 10E.

On a side note, I ordered the Isham GMTO in my "dress shoe" size (9.5E) because I see it as a dressier shoe than my Thorpes, but because of the last I'm expecting it to fit a little less severely than my decos, based on my experience at the Savile Row store. We'll see how it works out. smile.gif
post #18455 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc1 View Post

If you're happy with the fit of your St James and plan to wear the Thorpes in much the same way, then I'd say yes, IMO.

It's all down to personal taste - for me, dress shoes need to be very snug (especially when you're talking deco last!) to keep the creasing/bubbling to a minimum, have a sleek look and avoid looking like clown shoes. With boots, I'm more relaxed - lasts like MH71 or TG73 are more forgiving, and for the Thorpes I think a bit more "give" in terms of fit is appropriate considering the more rugged styling. Hence my ordering a half-size up to 10E.

On a side note, I ordered the Isham GMTO in my "dress shoe" size (9.5E) because I see it as a dressier shoe than my Thorpes, but because of the last I'm expecting it to fit a little less severely than my decos, based on my experience at the Savile Row store. We'll see how it works out. smile.gif
Thank you for your feed back, helps out a lot I got same size for all biggrin.gif
post #18456 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


If an 8.5D Barrie is too small, I personally would be hesitant to buy a UK8.5E MH71 Thorpe boot. May need to go to a 9.....

i remeasured my feet on the brannock and it appears one foot is a 9E and the other foot is a  9 1/2 D/E. I ended up sizing up by a 1/2. Hopefully everything works out. Thanks for the recommendation.

post #18457 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc1 View Post

If you're happy with the fit of your St James and plan to wear the Thorpes in much the same way, then I'd say yes, IMO.

It's all down to personal taste - for me, dress shoes need to be very snug (especially when you're talking deco last!) to keep the creasing/bubbling to a minimum, have a sleek look and avoid looking like clown shoes. With boots, I'm more relaxed - lasts like MH71 or TG73 are more forgiving, and for the Thorpes I think a bit more "give" in terms of fit is appropriate considering the more rugged styling. Hence my ordering a half-size up to 10E.

On a side note, I ordered the Isham GMTO in my "dress shoe" size (9.5E) because I see it as a dressier shoe than my Thorpes, but because of the last I'm expecting it to fit a little less severely than my decos, based on my experience at the Savile Row store. We'll see how it works out. smile.gif

I am ambivalent about the snug and crease thing. I personally have a pair of EG Chelsea 82 last. They fit really snug - I can only wear thin socks and my toe area will get rather uncomfortable after some walk. However they don't crease less than my other EG shoes which are half size larger. So I tend to think snugness has nothing to do with creases.
post #18458 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin8451 View Post

So I tend to think snugness has nothing to do with creases.

I do agree to the extent that leather will always crease - only way to avoid it is to not wear them! Maybe a slightly more descriptive term for what I can't stand would be "buckling" - when there's simply too much room between the foot and the leather. Completely a matter of personal taste.

Personally, my threshold for judging where "creasing" becomes "buckling", especially for dress shoes, is low - I can't deal with shoes where, after a few wearings the reinforced toe puff stands up like a bubble while the rest of the leather further up the vamp has collapsed onto the foot. Or where the natural crease at the toe joints actually starts cutting down onto the toes. Drives me crazy, especially at G&G's price point.
post #18459 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc1 View Post


Personally, my threshold for judging where "creasing" becomes "buckling", especially for dress shoes, is low - I can't deal with shoes where, after a few wearings the reinforced toe puff stands up like a bubble while the rest of the leather further up the vamp has collapsed onto the foot. Or where the natural crease at the toe joints actually starts cutting down onto the toes. Drives me crazy, especially at G&G's price point.

Yes, yes!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I also hate it when my outer sole gets scraped.

angry.gif
post #18460 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin8451 View Post


I am ambivalent about the snug and crease thing. I personally have a pair of EG Chelsea 82 last. They fit really snug - I can only wear thin socks and my toe area will get rather uncomfortable after some walk. However they don't crease less than my other EG shoes which are half size larger. So I tend to think snugness has nothing to do with creases.


I find the opposite.  I had a plain toe Carmina on the Rain last.  The length was okay, but it was too wide.  The toe looked like hell very quickly because the extra material allowed the leather to bunch and pinch rather than just flex.

 

So, I agree with grc1 on snug fitting for elongated lasts, especially with a plain toe.  Not that it reduces creasing, but I think it keeps creasing from being much worse.

post #18461 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

luk-cha is the only one I know with that. . .

I really like that color and texture on that tan pig leather shoe. I wonder if they still have that available? I have only seen their black pig available for the MTOs.
post #18462 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post


luk-cha is the only one I know with that. . .

That texture would make a nice boot 

post #18463 of 21785

The color and texture of the Kudu leather together with the fact that this was combined with such a great shoe to begin with (St James II) makes these shoes most definitely worth the wait. Kudus once again goes out to @Leaves and his crew for the work behind making this available thru G&G and delivering the goods in such a classy manner. Looking forward to the next one.

 

 


Edited by dddrees - 11/14/15 at 10:48am
post #18464 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

The color and texture of the Kudu leather together with e fact tat this was combined with the fact it's on such a great shoe to begin with (St James II) makes these shoes most definitely worth the wait. Kudus once again goes out to @Leaves and his crew for the work behind making this available thru G&G and delivering the goods in a classy manner. Looking forward to the next one.



Very nice congrats & I am looking forward to getting my st James 2 pearl grey biggrin.gif
post #18465 of 21785
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post


Very nice congrats & I am looking forward to getting my st James 2 pearl grey biggrin.gif


As you should, thank you sir.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)