Good to know - if i understand you correctly the major colour variation is a quality control issue - not just different batches of leather is different
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Gaziano & Girling St James II Cedar/Kudu GMTO Last post on 11/9/15 at 6:58pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on 12/14/16 at 11:47am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on Today at 3:00 am in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 1121post #16801 of 220198/25/15 at 2:21pmpost #16802 of 220198/25/15 at 2:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by hoodog
Personally, I think that the least you would reasonably be able to expect when ordering shoes from such a high end maker as G&G and at such a high price point is that you get the color you wanted. I really have a hard time understanding this apologetic take on these things (which sometimes also takes place in the EG thread to be fair). It's very Stockholm syndrome. I mean, it's G&G and £1000 shoes we're talking about here.
Just my 2 cents of course. But if I were in your shoes (!), I would be pretty pissed.
I totally agree with hoodog in this aspect 100% but to each there own.post #16803 of 220198/25/15 at 2:48pmQuote:Quote:
G&G, and I believe also EG, use pre-finished crust leather (in most cases at least), which means that the hides have a base color (which can vary), only the final finish is done in the factory after the shoe is made (not like when you use clean crust leather, the blue-grey hides, which is all finished after the shoe has been built, or sometimes painted to a base color before making and then finished when built).
Here's a pic I took when I visited the factory, double monks for RLPL that I think will be in vintage oak when finished:
Here's another one from The Shoe Snob Blog, with one model in the front and others in the back, where you can see some different shades:
Edited by j ingevaldsson - 8/25/15 at 2:58pmpost #16804 of 220198/25/15 at 2:51pmpost #16805 of 220198/25/15 at 3:54pmI agree with dddress. I appreciate that the color is out of Skoak's hands and the boot will still be fine. I wanted it lighter but I can live with it. Personally, I am disappointed by the lack of speed hooks. Did they just forget them? But, more importantly, I would still like to see more G&G preorders rather than less. I believe the MH 71 in F width is my best shoe and I need preorders or GMTOs to make it happen without an upcharge.post #16806 of 220198/25/15 at 4:08pmQuote:
You and me both.
It's a shame that this boot GMTO did was not executed perfectly or as expected, but let's not make it the last one. I'm sure Skoak will do here what they do best, provide great service...post #16807 of 220198/25/15 at 4:12pmThe color on the thorpes look great. Its more a matter of still having a hole in the rotation. There is 0 skoak can do about it and I appreciate the pickle they are in. This is my first GG make up and I think the factory should have advised skoak the color on this batch has a fair amount of variance from previous batches. I think Ryden....gulp....had the right idea. #firstworldproblems. A big thanks to Skoak for their transperancy and c/s.
Edit:I cetainly would not want skoak to discontinue the preorder option.post #16808 of 220198/25/15 at 4:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by bespoken pa
The color on the thorpes look great. Its more a matter of still having a hole in the rotation. There is 0 skoak can do about it and I appreciate the pickle they are in. This is my first GG make up and I think the factory should have advised skoak the color on this batch has a fair amount of variance from previous batches. I think Ryden....gulp....had the right idea. #firstworldproblems. A big thanks to Skoak for their transperancy and c/s.
Edit:I cetainly would not want skoak to discontinue the preorder option.
Well saidpost #16809 of 220198/25/15 at 4:18pmQuote:
+1, but this response is not new in SF.
It's a first world shoes and will have first world problems. Like missing some hooks.
However, sensing some passive hints of negotiations here, seeing dddrees's repsonse. Hope everything works out.post #16810 of 220198/25/15 at 4:47pmQuote:
I know the leather color is probably an unchangeable matter, but I wonder if the speed hook error can be fixed. I'm not an expect in shoe making, but maybe the metal hooks and brass holes can still be added after the fact? However, i'll leave that to Skoak to address with each participating person...post #16811 of 220198/25/15 at 4:54pmpost #16812 of 220198/25/15 at 4:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel
I know the leather color is probably an unchangeable matter, but I wonder if the speed hook error can be fixed. I'm not an expect in shoe making, but maybe the metal hooks and brass holes can still be added after the fact? However, i'll leave that to Skoak to address with each participating person...
In terms of the color there is nothing that can be done now except to make a new batch or for each owner to work on getting the shoe shade lighter with plenty of work. (That is up to you guys, but this shoe does look great)
But I wasn't in the order here and my comment is more to the speed hooks. Speed hooks can be added to a pair of shoes that does not have them. I had speed hooks added to my GG Canterbury even though the pair was already finished. It was sent back to the factory and GG took care of it. So it can be done but in sure that would have to be death with on an individual basis and it probably would take quite a bit of time to get them die to shipping and fitting that work into the production schedule.post #16813 of 220198/25/15 at 5:15pmpost #16814 of 220198/25/15 at 5:19pmQuote:
Let them see pictures first bit yea you could if that is what you would want. He mentioned to me before that it is easier to do the work to a new shoe anyway so he starts without any extra wear on it.post #16815 of 220198/25/15 at 6:56pmIf anyone is interested in a mole suede Arran chukka GMTO, be sure to take a look at my GMTO thread. Hopefully this will reduce my GMTO clutter here...
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Things you just don't get 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 5 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 9 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 12 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 14 minutes ago
- › BLK DNM Leather biker jacket small, s (Half price) 23 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 30 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 31 minutes ago
- › Mühle Glashütte Terranaut III Trail Automatic Watch Complete $799 31 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...