Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 1022

post #15316 of 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post



Bah Humburg I say, thistle for me.


I like the thistle more as well, but these are still great and how could you go wrong for the bargain that you got!!!!

post #15317 of 22588
Interesting. I thought I would like the Woburn better however after seeing both in the wild I do like the Sandringhams a bit more.
post #15318 of 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

Interesting. I thought I would like the Woburn better however after seeing both in the wild I do like the Sandringhams a bit more.


Agreed although I haven't seen both in the wild, however maybe it's the EG Last that suits this type of shoe better.

post #15319 of 22588
I am a fan of the thistle although once I really started wearing G&G, it just fits better for me compared to EG because of the tighter heel. Great shoe and I probably will grab a Sandringham in a future but now in a different color.
post #15320 of 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post


Agreed although I haven't seen both in the wild, however maybe it's the EG Last that suits this type of shoe better.

I should recorrect my statement, seen a picture/image of one that was worn opposed to brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post

I am a fan of the thistle although once I really started wearing G&G, it just fits better for me compared to EG because of the tighter heel. Great shoe and I probably will grab a Sandringham in a future but now in a different color.

The heel grip was always my issue with EG and why I loved GG. I find that EG is more classic and GG more modernized.
post #15321 of 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

sans thistle is preferred cheers.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post


Bah Humburg I say, thistle for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

#nothistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post


I like the thistle more as well, but these are still great and how could you go wrong for the bargain that you got!!!!
I prefer the wingtip design of the EG more. I could take or leave the thistle.
post #15322 of 22588
Showing my ignorance but what is the "thistle"?
post #15323 of 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallcane View Post

Showing my ignorance but what is the "thistle"?
DSC_00171.JPG


The thistle is the "flower-ish" design on the quarters.
post #15324 of 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post

I am a fan of the thistle although once I really started wearing G&G, it just fits better for me compared to EG because of the tighter heel. Great shoe and I probably will grab a Sandringham in a future but now in a different color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

I should recorrect my statement, seen a picture/image of one that was worn opposed to brand new.
The heel grip was always my issue with EG and why I loved GG. I find that EG is more classic and GG more modernized.

I agree with the tighter heel. That makes a huge difference for me. It feels a good 1 or 2 widths more narrow in the heel which is great for most people with true combination sized feet and especially for the extreme narrow people like me!
post #15325 of 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post


I agree with the tighter heel. That makes a huge difference for me. It feels a good 1 or 2 widths more narrow in the heel which is great for most people with true combination sized feet and especially for the extreme narrow people like me!

Agreed...

Even as a G width gent, I notice the heel is a tighter fit on my GG shoes. Which is why my only pair of EG did not work for me, in the same size the heel is too voluminous. I guess i'm exclusively a GG guy for now...
post #15326 of 22588

or bespoke!

 

what about EB? Have you tried them yet or St. C? 

 

Have you tried to play around with other lasts by EG? 

post #15327 of 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post

or bespoke!

what about EB? Have you tried them yet or St. C? 

Have you tried to play around with other lasts by EG? 

You do realize that playing around in RTW for me means blind ordering MTOs just so i can get the extra wide fit I need, yes? There is no brick and mortar for these shoes where I live, so it is always a gamble for me on these orders, and I'm just tired of losing on the River.

I appreciate your suggestions, but I have wasted enough money playing the internet shoe game, so i'll just stick to GG for now until I get the itch (and travel time) for bespoke...
post #15328 of 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


You do realize that playing around in RTW for me means blind ordering MTOs just so i can get the extra wide fit I need, yes? There is no brick and mortar for these shoes where I live, so it is always a gamble for me on these orders, and I'm just tired of losing on the River.

I appreciate your suggestions, but I have wasted enough money playing the internet shoe game, so i'll just stick to GG for now until I get the itch (and travel time) for bespoke...


oh I fully understand how it is. If you don't remember I'm both a very large size and extremely narrow so I have had to go with trial and error for a while now, but I can't even try to sell them after, since no one wears even close to my size. I just have to make adjustments with different types and amounts of socks as well as tongue pads and leather insoles / extra full sock liners as needed. 

 

The option that you may like is that if you explain what you like in GG to Skoaktiebolaget, they may be able to tell you what other lasts from other brands that they carry may work for you. Some of the brands even offer the option to make you a custom last, like Enzo Bonafe and St. Crispins.

 

Of course bespoke is an option, but of course you know how the pricing can be, plus the travel expenses. Where do you live? I know of quite a few bespoke shoemakers around the US and other parts of the world. I also know of a couple who will take orders from a distance by speaking with them over the phone/skype and sending them tracings/measurements of your feet, etc. 

 

Just let me know what you need.

 

Of course GG is really all that you need for a brand anyway, since they have such a variety of lasts and basically limitless styles with their MTO. They are my favorite brand as well between both aesthetics and shape of the shoes for general fit (I can't believe that I finally have decided!), but I just like to give other brands/makers a chance. 

post #15329 of 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post


oh I fully understand how it is. If you don't remember I'm both a very large size and extremely narrow so I have had to go with trial and error for a while now, but I can't even try to sell them after, since no one wears even close to my size. I just have to make adjustments with different types and amounts of socks as well as tongue pads and leather insoles / extra full sock liners as needed. 

The option that you may like is that if you explain what you like in GG to Skoaktiebolaget, they may be able to tell you what other lasts from other brands that they carry may work for you. Some of the brands even offer the option to make you a custom last, like Enzo Bonafe and St. Crispins.

Of course bespoke is an option, but of course you know how the pricing can be, plus the travel expenses. Where do you live? I know of quite a few bespoke shoemakers around the US and other parts of the world. I also know of a couple who will take orders from a distance by speaking with them over the phone/skype and sending them tracings/measurements of your feet, etc. 

Just let me know what you need.

Of course GG is really all that you need for a brand anyway, since they have such a variety of lasts and basically limitless styles with their MTO. They are my favorite brand as well between both aesthetics and shape of the shoes for general fit (I can't believe that I finally have decided!), but I just like to give other brands/makers a chance. 

Know any bespoke in Orange county?
post #15330 of 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post


Know any bespoke in Orange county?


Yup. Go to South Coast.


Edited by venividivicibj - 4/30/15 at 10:07am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...)