Glad you pulled the trigger on the shoe you wanted, congrats...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Gaziano & Girling St James II Cedar/Kudu GMTO Last post on 11/9/15 at 6:58pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on 12/14/16 at 11:47am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:03 am in Classic Menswear
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on 3/24/17 at 3:33pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, etc...) - Page 906post #13576 of 2261812/12/14 at 5:50ampost #13577 of 2261812/12/14 at 8:42ampost #13578 of 2261812/12/14 at 9:10ampost #13579 of 2261812/13/14 at 4:50pmQuote:
I find this to be true also. I have gotten compliments on different G&G shoes at places as unlikely as Trader Joes and Kinkos.
Oh, and G&G are my favorite, too. Vass is a close second, but damn it's hard to nail a good fit in Vass if you're buying over the internet.post #13580 of 2261812/13/14 at 6:10pmpost #13581 of 2261812/13/14 at 7:10pmpost #13582 of 2261812/13/14 at 7:33pmpost #13583 of 2261812/13/14 at 7:56pmQuote:
Totally agree. In fact (IMO) they're so bad that they had to have an Italian firm make their F and U last, iirc.Quote:
I think they still are a great value.post #13584 of 2261812/13/14 at 8:18pmG&G has value but not by the typical "materials + construction" = value formula. Vass, Carmina, Enzo, and AS would win that. Even compared to EG GG seemed overpriced but because of a few missteps from other brands I think there is a definitely place for GG. Especially since I have a normal to low instep so I can't fit Vass and some Enzo lasts and most low instep lasts from other makers are ugly or too narrow.
- Good RTW collection
- Refills for retailers do not have MTO surcharge
- Accepts GMTO
- Exotics and choice of materials is bar none
- Sleek lasts that accommodate normal insteps
- Option for wider feet
- Higher quality finish than RTW competitors
- Best RTW soles
- Designs are the most beautiful
If you can avoid the MTO surcharge, at around $950 it is good value as you need to spend closer to $1300-1500 to go into the semi-bespoke range with superior finish and fit.post #13585 of 2261812/13/14 at 8:22pm
Ironist could you elaborate why you'd say they seem overpriced compared to EGs? I'd say that they are around the same price as EGs within $100 and I think they are finished a little better in the RTW arena. To me, they are the nicest RTW though I'll admit I have very low experience with a couple of the other ultra high end brands.
The best value in shoes is probably AS Exclusive but for top of the line GG is my go-to. I have more GGs than anything else by a wide margin for that reason.post #13586 of 2261812/13/14 at 8:29pmBecause EG and GG are comparable so the $100 markup may seem excessive to some if they don't value the additions that GG offers. For some people $100 is a lot. I also think a lot of vendors still require GG shoe trees even though skoaktiebolaget doesn't.
AS doesn't have a wide enough selection or GMTO and I think the MTO surcharge would make it better to buy GG.post #13587 of 2261812/13/14 at 8:29pmpost #13588 of 2261812/13/14 at 8:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ironist
Because EG and GG are comparable so the $100 markup may seem excessive to some if they don't value the additions that GG offers. For some people $100 is a lot. I also think a lot of vendors still require GG shoe trees even though skoaktiebolaget doesn't.
AS doesn't have a wide enough selection or GMTO and I think the MTO surcharge would make it better to buy GG.
Makes sense then. I don't think EGs are as sleek and the soles are definitely better on GGs so it's easily worth the $100 to me. YMMV though.
AS just makes quality shoes for the price point IMO. Limited styles, yes, but good shoes.post #13589 of 2261812/14/14 at 5:35am
Cross post from the Balmoral Boot thread:
These are my newly arrived Wigmores with vintage rioja calf uppers and navy suede shafts (a very pleasant MTO experience with Thomas in the Savile Row shop before I moved out of the London area). They were very comfortable right out of the box, plus they look great!post #13590 of 2261812/16/14 at 10:42am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication... 1 minute ago
- › The Look goes on... 3 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 4 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 4 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 7 minutes ago
- › Hong Kong Shirt Makers 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 11 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Ledbury bespoke 16 minutes ago
- › NEW Grenson Captoe Oxfords UK8F / US9D 16 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...